Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Star Citizen

I have Star Citizen and have played it extensively. If you go into it not expecting a full game that's completely fleshed out but rather as supporting a very ambitious game that is still in development, you won't be disappointed. What they have accomplished so far is pretty incredible from a tech standpoint. Everybody rags on how long it's taking...but seriously, what other game out there lets you currently explore a whole system with multiple planets and moons, some with different biomes ,and land anywhere on any one, get out, and explore? What they are doing has not been done to this extent, ever. It's really the bleeding edge in game tech right now. There are bugs, lots of them. There's wonky stuff that happens. The economy system isn't there yet. There are gameplay loops that are still missing and most aren't completely fleshed out yet. However, you can do combat, either pvp or pve, you can do basic trading and you can do cargo deliveries, bounties, etc. You can run drugs. You can buy upgrades for your ships in-game. There's a rudimentary law and order system where you can get put in prison and try to escape if you want. And exploring, just for the hell of it. I can say I have had a lot of fun playing it solo and with friends.

Right now, we're really waiting on two important things to move things forward in a big way; server meshing, which will allow everyone to be in the same world across multiple servers, and iCache, which is inventory caching, meaning everything in your inventory will be persistent. Right now it's not.

There will be a free-fly later this month, which will allow anyone to download the game and try it out. All you have to do is set up an account. That's what hooked me three years ago, and I don't regret the money I spent. If you decide to pledge, don't pledge any more than you're willing to lose. No different than like a kickstarter. You do that, there won't be any reason to be angry.

Last edited:
I took the plunge and bought the Aurora standard package for £43. The game comes with a 14 day refund policy which is pretty standard so I if I don't like it then there's nothing lost. I haven't done very much in game yet other than explore Area18 on ArcCorp, fly to a space station and land at a mining outpost on a moon but I can already tell that this game is something else. Performance is very good.

I originally installed the game on my HD by mistake, it took a long time to get the game fired up but once in it ran very well. Once I realised my error I re-installed it onto my SSD and I can jump in really quickly and performance is excellent. I only noticed one very small stutter within a 30 minute gameplay period. I have a 5 year old rig with i7-6700K quad core processor, 16GB RAM, GEForce GTX 970 and have in game graphics settings to medium which still looks extremely impressive.

The main issue I've had is having to exit the game because the lift (elevator) doors don't open when called. This appears to be a known bug and all you can do is restart. However as this is something that you will come across when leaving the spawning areas, it doesn't really impact on the session and so it's not too much of a problem. I've played about 4 sessions and have not had a crashed game yet. There was an official server shutdown during one session, however they give you plenty of notice so that you can land at a major port which saves your progress.

It's early days but I'm hugely impressed at this point, the detail and the scale is mind boggling!

Ok so I'm 2 weeks in , the game is buggy, the server crashes more often than I'd like, I've fallen through the surface of planets 3 times, my ship has de-spawned in the middle of a snow storm and boxes keep falling out of my ship when I try to deliver them. The refund policy is apparently 30 days but I won't be asking for one.

The overall experience is one of jaw dropping amazement at what has been achieved. The game is stable enough to complete missions and explore the system. The main takeaway is that of being completely immersed in the environment. With the bugs there are work arounds and gameplay to be had. When my shipped de-spawned I was able to get another player to fly to the planet I was on, locate me, land and give me a lift back to a space station.

The camera is very versatile and I put together this music video of my trip around the Stanton system.

Really nice video. The game looks great and has developed a lot since I last played it.

I bought a starter pack version of the game but only played a little bit about 2 years ago. It was a bit laggy then. Something changed and I couldn't load it anymore (maybe a RAM issue on my old PC).

I have a laptop that might run it now, so maybe I will give it another try.

@Josey Wales Nice video! Glad to hear you're enjoying it despite the bugs. There is still fun to be had. You been checking out any of the expo and trying out all the different ships this week?

For everyone else, the annual November Free-Fly/Expo week is in full swing. You can check out the game at 0 cost to yourself. No reason to stand from afar when you can see for yourself what they've done. All you have to do is sign up for an account, download the game and play.

Download: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/download

I have a laptop that might run it now, so maybe I will give it another try.
Thanks, you probably already know this but you'll need to install it on an SSD

@Rambler , thanks. No I haven't been over there yet. Been taking advantage of the peace and quiet in Loreville getting some shots for a potential new vid. I will head over before it ends, but I seem to have been getting access to several ships anyway when I log in. Before the last patch I had access to a Freelancer and now I have access to a Nomad and an Origin 100i !!

@Rambler so I went over to the expo out of curiosity and not really expecting to get that excited about anything as what really drew me to SC were the planets and environments rather than the ships.

But I actually had a lot of fun nosing around the ships, particularly getting lost in the Starfarer and the Caterpillar. I rented out a Reliant because I liked the look and now I'm considering earning the aUEC to buy one in game.

Are you part of an org?

@Josey Wales Hey man, just saw your post...haven't logged into FGM in a bit. Anyway, awesome, glad you made it over to the expo! Yeah, the Starfarer and Caterpillar are fun to run around. I like flying the Cat a lot more than the Starfarer though. Plus it's Drake, and I like their aesthetic a lot. Hopefully you checked out the Hammerhead as well. Prob my fav big ship in the game so far. Nice, I haven't flown a Reliant at all.

Yeah, I'm technically part of an org (we have a page on RSI's org website...well we did, just checked and it's not there anymore), but it's really a gaming community with a Star Citizen section that will be diving into the game when server meshing arrives. Right now we really only play together when a major update drops to check out the new stuff. Every once in awhile a couple of us will get together and fly, though.

If you want to play sometime, just let me know. Easiest to hit me up on the Discord, as I'm there more often than the forum.

I've fallen through the surface of planets 3 times, my ship has de-spawned in the middle of a snow storm and boxes keep falling out of my ship when I try to deliver them.
Sounds like a lot of fun. A snow storm causes you to run after the boxes you have to deliver that have fallen out of your transport vessel and when you're about to grab two of them you fall of the surface of the planet and realise you will never collect those boxes. Yet another day of disappointed customers.

I’m not disappointed, I accept it’s an Alpha and I’m interested in the project. There’s been 2 major updates since those issues and I haven’t noticed them in months.

Vote with your cash , don’t like, don’t pay.

Just a little update from the Mighty Jingles for you optimists.
Conclusion: Realistic? Awesomely so. Fun? Not while you are waiting for the elevator. [yawn]
Given their system pretty sure that is not fixable.
----
Waiting for an elevator is a pain? Depends on what's playing on the Muzak...

Reactions: mTk
@Josey Wales Have you had a chance to check out 3.14 and Crusader/Orison? it's pretty cool, with all the floating platforms and whatnot. Definitely recommend it.

eEuCUFs.jpg

02WM8FV.jpg

Last edited:
@Rambler yes spent quite a bit of time exploring Orison. The landing zones CGI create are simply amazing and this latest one doesn't disappoint. I've been playing a lot recently, I quite enjoy the grind. Did a fair bit of cave mining then bought a ROC. Now I head out with a hired Cutty with the ROC in the back and do a bit of surface mining on the moons of Hurston. It's pretty relaxing and now that I've just bought a Tobii eye tracker, the immersion is incredible. I've watched a few vids of a pirate gang called the Mongrel Squad who specifically target surface miners so I've always got one eye on my radar..not that I'd be able to do much if they did decide to target me, they seem pretty organised.

I know a lot of people are quite impatient for features and it does appear a torturously slow process to get new gameplay in but for someone like me who's not really in a rush it's just good fun to try out each new build, it'll almost be a shame if and when the game ever does come out of alpha.

I know a lot of people are quite impatient for features and it does appear a torturously slow process to get new gameplay in but for someone like me who's not really in a rush it's just good fun to try out each new build, it'll almost be a shame if and when the game ever does come out of alpha.
The most important thing is having fun, and it seems like you're having it.

Back