Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes

chiquichops

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
1613760865546.png
An interesting book in that it gives an account of the Crusades using the observations of contemporary Arab chroniclers. It has some flaws, like many history books you need to get a wider context from other writers to compare with opinions the author has but I found it a fascinating, if somewhat brutal and de-romanticised, vision of events. Richard the Lionheart was one of my historical heroes as a young historian so I was really keen to get into this book. It's not all about war either, there's s lot of cultural and economic context covered too. If anything though, I'd like it to go deeper.
It's an old book, I'm sure there are more contemporary books on the subject, but it's well worth a look.

I'm just writing to confirm everything that says by Chiquichops is true. Great book,great author too (I recommend all is books).
Regarding the subject I know there is some publication in French on the subject, also some very interesting conference (also in French) who kinda destroy the myth that de Frank are the cause to destruction of the Arab Empire.
In those conference it is said that it exist work in Arab on the subject but very few translation. I think it's a field who really more work and more diffusions/translations

@Bartimeus if you have any links or titles to the conference and publications, that'd be interesting to me. My French isn't great but I might be able to handle it or find some translation.

Hey! I find it :

So the man is Gabriel Martinez-Gros, his last book :
De l'autre côté des croisades: L'Islam entre croisés et Mongols
Livre de Gabriel Martinez-Gros

He speak about it during this, excellent, interview :
where he gave a lot of information.

I really recommand also his other videos/books about the medial Arab intellectual Ibn Khaldun and the Islamic Empire (VIi-XI century) if you can find them in English or if you are able to read in French

Hello !

Didi you manage to understand a bit of what he say ?

Back