Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Feudal North,,, 1136AD ... The Battle Of Crug Mawr (room for a 1 new player).

Both of my games concluded on Sunday and am surprised to say I was victorious in both!

My Welshmen clawed a 62% to 44% win against @Mad Mike 's Anglo Normans. The entirety of Mike's cavalry formed up on my left flank and it was a pretty daunting sight. I tried to delay contact on this flank for as long as possible. When it did happen, his cav made mincemeat of mine. I then rushed my lights over to my left to try and slow his cav down whilst my infantry and remaining cav on my right flanked started to have at his spearmen. It was pretty close all the way through.

As the Anglo Normans against @Nelson1812 's Welsh, I maintained my position on the hill whilst spreading out my cav evenly on each flank. The Anglo Norman cav outclasses the Welsh cav so I used that to my advantage. I also closed with his archers whenever the opportunity presented itself. Nelson's light cav got a few rear charges into my cav which caused a few morale checks and tense moments. I only threw in my raw units when they had a good chance of getting the upper hand, the Welsh spears do well on impact. Final score was 49% to 20%.

Thank you gentlemen for engrossing games, well played. I think the general consensus is that this battle is harder for the Welsh player who needs to make good use of his ranged and light units to try and counter the Norman cav.

Last edited:
I like the look of the Battle of Otepaa as it allows room for manoeuvre. I can't find very much online about the battle so here's the excerpt from Wikipedia;

'Battle of Otepää was a battle during the Livonian Crusade in 1217.[1] The battle ended with a victory for the Estonians and Russians.

In February 1217, a large Russian force, along with Oeselians and other Estonians, arrived at Otepää to besiege it. The number of the besiegers is said to have reached 20,000 men. Because the stronghold was located on a very well-defended hill, the siege lasted for 17 days.

The Bishop Albert of Riga sent 3,000 men from Riga headed by the master of the order to relieve the trapped German force in Otepää. Near the stronghold they met the Estonian and Russian forces in battle. The Germans managed to get into the stronghold, but with very heavy casualties. The situation became very difficult for them. The long siege decreased the people's food and fodder to the minimum. The horses were said to have eaten the horsetails off each other. On the third day after the German relief army had arrived the stronghold, the negotiations started. Based on the peace they made, the Germans had to leave not only from Otepää, but from all of Estonia. It was the greatest defeat for the Crusaders in the Livonian Crusade to Estonia.[2]'

Back