Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The FGM Motorcycle Thread

Never touched a bike before I was 19, got into it because I thought it'd save a dying relationship.

Now that's gotta be a fascinating story right there!!!! I would generally presume that buying a bike was the most likely way to kill a relationship quick smart!

I have noticed 3 types of riders in NW Ohio, ya got your Harley riders with the vest, american flags, ponytails, etc. Then ya got your younger guys on their crotch rocket bikes. Then ya got your BMW riders with the matching gear, helmet, leather suit, etc. Always the coolest lookin cats.

I always acknowledge riders on the road, no matter what they ride.
My motto is Fast enough to enjoy the curves, slow enough to enjoy the scenery.

I don't have BMW riding gear, although it is great quality. Until a couple of yrs ago I had a one piece waterproof breathable made by Fieldsheer - best bit of kit I've ever had, but eventually it lost the waterproof capability (I'd had it eight yrs and reckon I covered at least 30k on bikes in it, and I ride in all weathers except snow, ice or fog.)

I also have a pair of motorbike boots made by a british company called Altberg (http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/roadrunner/) - mine were bought at a bike show in 2000 and are still going strong, although they've been resoled and repaired twice - I can walk around in them all day too - they weren't cheap but have proved a prudent purchase.

The only photo of me on a bike - test rode the V - Strom 650 - great machine with bullet proof engine but I went for a beemer - in this shot I'm sporting the Fieldsheer one piece and Altberg boots.

001.jpg

I had bikes from when I left school until I was 21 (didn't bother taking the bike test), then got a car and never had a bike until I was 35 - sadly my marriage broke down at that time and I decided to take my bike test to cheer meself up - did a three day intensive course having not sat on a bike for 14 yrs and passed the test, then there was no looking back - my first big bike was a Yamaha Fazer 600, and from there it 's been beemers all the way except for a little episode with a Harley Softail Heritage - wasn't quite me and I got fed up cleaning it all the time so that was that - nothing wrong with the machine, just not for me.

IMG_2350-XL.jpg

This is my back yard.........loads of roads like this......
008-L.jpg

In case ya didn't notice, I love riding!!
IMG_2371-L.jpg

Steve

Last edited:
......one of the roads out of the village where I live takes a cross country route towards the Cotswold town of Burford. Here's a snippet......

Steve

Now that's gotta be a fascinating story right there!!!! I would generally presume that buying a bike was the most likely way to kill a relationship quick smart!
Only just saw this! Her dad rode, the guy she started hanging around with rode, and she herself always wanted to. I was trying to be "cool".

@steve A Beamer man eh? I looked at those when I moved from the crotch rockets (well, 250's so perhaps 'model rocket' ) but they were outside this student's price range. My backyards look a bit like yours (bit more mountainous in places) - You went the road touring variant in the end, rather than the Adventure?

@Buckykatt That's a lovely burble you've got going there... Hope your neighbors don't mind!

Spent the last few weeks teaching my partner the basics... She went for her test yesterday, now there's a shiny white CB125 sitting next to the 'strom in the garage ^_^ Might do a little backery run later today, when she wakes up - if she's not too sick of it already!

Artemis,
I tried the adventure route (see photo of silver GS with red seat and my son standing next to it in earlier post) but found it just a bit too tall and heavy for me - from that went to the touring machines , excellent mile munchers and oodles of tourque from the lazy boxer engines.

I've alway loved riding, and distance is never an issue for me, I'd quite happily ride hundreds of miles in a day.

Steve

I dropped mine at least twice. Just a dumb ass kid. Scraped a bunch of skin off my arms then rode it home. Dad took me to the ER and Nurse Ratched scrubbed the gravel and asphalt out of my arms with a brush.
Been there not that bad, but it made me quite riding. had a 1970 650cc BSA chopper. Friggen nice. Rode up on some British troops that were in a truck on the Army base I work at and they were yelling at me seeing a real bike in the states. lol good times.

Had a bunch of bikes over the years. My current ride is a 2012 BMW F800ST. Like to think of it as a sports bike for old farts!
Did a course at Phillip Island earlier this year. If you have a bike do yourself a favour and get yourself to a track day.

f800st.jpg

Had a bunch of bikes over the years. My current ride is a 2012 BMW F800ST. Like to think of it as a sports bike for old farts!
Did a course at Phillip Island earlier this year. If you have a bike do yourself a favour and get yourself to a track day.

f800st.jpg
I've always wanted to do a Skip Barber racing school

That would be cool as well. Close I'll get to a Skip is rFactor2! Some good car racing sims out there. An XBox controller does not do bikes justice!

Got my 1100RT named and my brother made the sticker for me........

IMG_1337-L.jpg

IMG_2272.jpg

A great bike on which I covered 40k miles.

Steve

This is what mine would look like without the tankbag........photo taken in Tenerife a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_1023.jpg

I don't know... once you hit around 40 (age not mph) its time for the "cruisers" not "Sport bikes" way too rough on the back. :2charge:
At least that's my experience. I had a 1200 Sportster and it wore me out after 50 miles or so.
Indian makes some real nice cruisers.
It is a nice looking bike though...

Back