Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Spanish Civil War 1936-1939

I had family in both sides. Fun story: Mi great-grandfather was a left wing basque nationalist engineer that had his quite numerous properties in Pamplona confiscated never to be seen again. It was also arrested and his name written on a "to be shot" list. A relative, which was a falangist with a bit of authority, saw the list on the detention camp and simply erased the name, thus saving his life. This really shows in my opinion how much of a "war between brothers" it was.

Oh yep, I try to find the same place on Google Street and also the same angle. Then I capture the image, cut it out and give it the approximate size.
I love those comparisons.

Agreed, amazing to see the two perspectives and well done mate.

I had family in both sides. Fun story: Mi great-grandfather was a left wing basque nationalist engineer that had his quite numerous properties in Pamplona confiscated never to be seen again. It was also arrested and his name written on a "to be shot" list. A relative, which was a falangist with a bit of authority, saw the list on the detention camp and simply erased the name, thus saving his life. This really shows in my opinion how much of a "war between brothers" it was.

Scary, a roll of dice and your snuffed out (and perhaps your progeny :oops:).

I think my estranged grandfather fought in the Civil War. He disappeared after WW2 and my mothers sister caught up with him just before he died. He had joined the French Foreign Legion after WW2, got out at some stage and started a whole new family in the British Isles somewhere. I seen a hand written letter by him to my mother just before he died, it was quite short. All I remember it saying was that he had been in the Spanish Civil War, WW2 and then joined the French Foreign Legion.

Madrid, Pharmacy protected by bags of earth during the conflict.
WzW9b2X.jpg

Last edited:
The Battle of the Ebro was the prelude to the final Republican defeat against the coup plotters of General Francisco Franco. It was the longest, deadliest and bloody battle fought in the civil war. A quarter of a million men fought in a space of 800 square kilometers for 115 long days, from July 25 to November 16, 1938.
wkkLa8X.jpg

F. Franco and General Fidel Davila during the battle of the Ebro, in the autumn of 1938.

Oh yep, I try to find the same place on Google Street and also the same angle. Then I capture the image, cut it out and give it the approximate size.
I love those comparisons.

Thanks for doing them. It's always interesting to see.

Back