Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Witcher

I really enjoyed the show! the production values are high, and the characters are developed and well acted. There is so much content and story already developed that could be implemented in the show. Unfortunately the next season is over a year away.
82234103_10216246904153354_6369292966455934976_n.jpg

"Toss a coin to your Witcher, O Valley of Plenty. Toss a coin..."
Just watched the first two episodes. I gotta say Imma really liking this.
Never played the games so I am not going in with a critical eye for accuracy of any sort.
I'm finding Henry Cavill's portrayal of the protagonist fascinating. As the strong, silent, type with yellow eyes it's hard to beat.
His bone dry sense of humor always catches me off guard.
Great, escapist fun.

Though I think they did a great job the structure of the series could have been better. The whole three time lines through the one series is too jarring for anyone that hasn't read the books and would be able to pick up on that right away. The short stories that kick off the universe, in the books 'The Witcher' and 'The Sword of Destiny' are all set before the saga proper, and with each story they introduce a key character as they interact with Geralt for the first time. (And yes these short stories are scattered over at least a decade of time). Following key stories from those two books before the fall of Cintra as a finale would of been way better.

If Ithikial was a TV producer (with an unlimited budget):
- Ciri shouldn't of been a focus until the end of the series. They wasted a lot of screen time which would of been better spent introducing the universe and characters around Geralt. Both her and Yennefer get their time in the sun.
- The Ciri arc took queues from unused short stories (like her being trapped in Brokelion Forest) but if they followed the books it would of been much better for both her and Geralt's characters/explaining their connection.
- Jaskier (Dandelion) should of got more screen time as Geralt's best (albeit annoying) friend.
- The Battle of Sodden Hill should of waited until next season to be used as a series opener. Hopefully the series would have proven itself and had a bigger budget to do it justice. It's meant to be a major pitched battle between armies with the mages raining down fire and having magical duels across a vast battle - not some quasi-Helms Deep skirmish. It ends the First War With Nilfgaard. (Oops sorta spoilers....).
- The characters of Cahir, Viglefortz, Fringilla. For spoiler reasons I won't go into they are really on a tightrope the way they portrayed these characters so far.
- Nilfgaard as a bunch of religious nut jobs. Not the case in the books. Yes the Emperor is power hungry but it's feudal politics and a belief they are more civilised than the north that drives them. (Nilfgaard as like renaissance Italy vs eastern Europe). The Emperor actually quashes any cult/powerbase that could threaten his rule. Could be a bit of a writers trap later on when they actually need to go to Nilfgaard.

Though I think they did a great job the structure of the series could have been better. The whole three time lines through the one series is too jarring for anyone that hasn't read the books and would be able to pick up on that right away.

We are five episodes into it now. I generally like it however I agree the multiple time lines is often confusing. One of my daughters was familiar with the books and helped explain things to the rest of the family. Without her explanations I'm not sure we would have stuck with it. Of course, about the time I'm really understanding and getting into it the season will end. :LOL: I think there is only one season?

- Ciri shouldn't of been a focus until the end of the series. They wasted a lot of screen time which would of been better spent introducing the universe and characters around Geralt. Both her and Yennefer get their time in the sun.

Like the game then. Ciri was such a boring character... I liked when she was a kid and was being trained by Geralt, but when she grows up she just seems way too one-dimensional. Which is pretty ironic for someone able to travel between dimensions.

Though I think they did a great job the structure of the series could have been better. The whole three time lines through the one series is too jarring for anyone that hasn't read the books and would be able to pick up on that right away. The short stories that kick off the universe, in the books 'The Witcher' and 'The Sword of Destiny' are all set before the saga proper, and with each story they introduce a key character as they interact with Geralt for the first time. (And yes these short stories are scattered over at least a decade of time). Following key stories from those two books before the fall of Cintra as a finale would of been way better.

If Ithikial was a TV producer (with an unlimited budget):
- The Ciri arc took queues from unused short stories (like her being trapped in Brokelion Forest) but if they followed the books it would of been much better for both her and Geralt's characters/explaining their connection.
- Jaskier (Dandelion) should of got more screen time as Geralt's best (albeit annoying) friend.
- The Battle of Sodden Hill should of waited until next season to be used as a series opener. Hopefully the series would have proven itself and had a bigger budget to do it justice. It's meant to be a major pitched battle between armies with the mages raining down fire and having magical duels across a vast battle - not some quasi-Helms Deep skirmish. It ends the First War With Nilfgaard. (Oops sorta spoilers....).
- The characters of Cahir, Viglefortz, Fringilla. For spoiler reasons I won't go into they are really on a tightrope the way they portrayed these characters so far.
- Nilfgaard as a bunch of religious nut jobs. Not the case in the books. Yes the Emperor is power hungry but it's feudal politics and a belief they are more civilised than the north that drives them. (Nilfgaard as like renaissance Italy vs eastern Europe). The Emperor actually quashes any cult/powerbase that could threaten his rule. Could be a bit of a writers trap later on when they actually need to go to Nilfgaard.
Yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel about the series. At least your first 3 pts (I never read the books, just played the games)
I distinctly remember thinking how they seemed to rush into the character story arcs way too fast. It seemed their main goal is try to get viewers wrapped into the story arcs. I didn't like this! It should of been more about just the Witcher and his trade craft of killing monsters. When not doing that... boozing in bars and picking up girls. Maybe more about how he became a Witcher and his training.

The pacing is clearly an effort to cater to mainstream audiences. But I guess Im ok with that since the first season is considered a success. I'll still be watching the next season.

Well, isn't that just swell.
It took me into the 7th episode to put 2+2 together (and the usual jarring flashback) to figure out (some of) Ciri's back story.
Hmmm.
-----
Parental Warning:
For mature audiences - Violence, sex, nudity, language, gore, and...SMOKING!
Well, that's deal breaking idn't?

Last edited:
As there are two threads about this tv-series I write in both threads.

I watched the second series yesterday and think the first one was better.

They are starting to separate from the books storyline and are taking way too many creative liberties with the stories and general plot of the later 5 books. There are moments where I am dumbfounded by the plot, perusing through the books...

Season 2 is so far garbage. It's turning into a fan film that has nothing to do with the source material. Noticed this across the web. If you haven't read the books you seem to like it, if you have then the second season is sacrilege. :p

Back