Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The WW2 history of my hometown (take your time to read this)

• Thread starter Dutch Grenadier
  • Start date
Hee DG had deze nog niet eerder gezien. Heel interessant!

Wat betreft de fietshelmen: in de VS hebben ze bij lange na niet zoveel fietsers (dus het verkeer is niet op ze ingesteld) en geen (amper) fietspaden. En nog iets: ik hoorde een tijdje terug dat er in Zweden zelfs moeders zijn die hun kinderen binnenshuis een helm laten dragen!

Thanks for sharing DG! Very interesting and informative! What about your Father (or Grandfather), what was their story in those dark times?

Possible FGM field trip for the future. :fat:

Sound like a good plan to me mate :)

Thanks for sharing DG! Very interesting and informative! What about your Father (or Grandfather), what was their story in those dark times?

My own grandfarhter fought on the Grebbeberg during the German invasion and in 1943 a British RAF pilot was shot down above the town where I was born and where my granparents lived. My grandparents hide him untill the Americans came in September 1944. I even meet him a few times but the last time was when I was 12 years old.

My wife's grandfather served in the Dutch resistance and when the American 82nd airborne landed he hooked up with them and acted as a translater untill the end of the war for them. After the war he went to fight in the Dutch Indies for 5 years. I have great respect for both of them!

@Bert:

Bedankt!
Inderdaad in Amerika is het verkeer heel anders dan hier. Was ook een domme discussie.

Bram,
What a great post in so many ways. Brought a lump to my throat actually. Thank you for taking care of those young American boys who died so far from home and for the work you do keeping the Memorial looking beautiful. As for the historical aspect of your post, turning a WWII battle of something I have read about many times into a picture tour is fantastic! To actually see the casemates, the scarred church, and the actual bridges brings it alive for me. By the way, bravo for leaving the casemates untouched. All it takes is one question "daddy, what's that"? to create another lover of history.
Some day, I am going to land at Normandy and follow the Allied advance all the way to Berlin. When I get to Nijmegen, I'll treat you to a beer :)

Thanks for the answer DG! My Grandfather and my Grandmother were Yugoslav Partisans. Maybe one day if I find the time I write their stories.

Some day, I am going to land at Normandy and follow the Allied advance all the way to Berlin. When I get to Nijmegen, I'll treat you to a beer :)

Now that's an idea! Imagine if we could all gather up at the beaches of Normandy and then take a tour around the Europe!

Making that trip would be a million times better with a group that loved history as much as I do....count me in <note to self: <start saving!>

Thanks and yes a trip like that would be great indeed but O have a family and a though job so its not that easy ;)

If this FGM trip takes place, I will do my best to participate. And perhaps Oradour-sur-Glane should be visited as well. A totally different kind of battlefield...

What great post and what a fantastic history you and your wife's family have regarding WW2. I also salute what you do in relation to the US troopers who perished in your city.

Indeed and I was born in Schijndel that is near Veghel between Eindhoven and Den Bosch. In the late september days 1944 there was a massive tank battle fought there.
Schijndel was finnaly liberated by the Scotisch Highland division

Indeed and I was born in Schijndel that is near Veghel between Eindhoven and Den Bosch. In the late september days 1944 there was a massive tank battle fought there.
Schijndel was finnaly liberated by the Scotisch Highland division

I envy you ;-)

Back