Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Tournament/Campaign Idea

If it's 2 hours long each turn is 30 minutes?

I'm not sure how the larger map would work.
Or how to avoid just having three different scenarios,a left, center, right.
How would a flank column turn in to the center for support or vice-versa?
Let me think on it
My idea would be that each of the six maps has exit zones where units can leave and enter the next map in the next battle.
There must also be rules how to exit, for example the minimum would be one Platoon?
3.png
Units would leave the battle map after entering the exit zone and start on the exact same place (with a deployment radius) on the neighbored map.
I do not think that is a perfect solution, but maybe an interesting idea to discuss and improve.

What about timing?
What if a unit exits the side of a map at the 15 minute mark of a 30 minute battle?
The exiting unit can only take part after the battle in the neighbored map will start again, not during the battle as it is unfortunately technically impossible to place them during the battle. The only way to place them during the battle would be via scenario editor and also the battle could not be played simultaneously.

Right.
So, looking at the bottom row of maps do you see each one as being a separate scenario at the start?
Yes Sir, I would suggest for this map three battles at the start. Then there would be two possibilities how to proceed regarding the timeline of the battles:
1. all three Battles start at the same time and until all 3 battles are finished no new battle is allowed to start.
2 only one battle starts and the other two battles have to wait until the first respectively the second battle has finished

I would recommend the first one so there could be 6 players playing simultaneously.

Also I would suggest that the time for each battle is relative short, so that it is unlikely that the map sections will be won in one or two battles. This map divided in six parts (battle maps) can produce quite long maps (distance south - north end), which will facilitate more battles needed to reach the northern end. Also it could be a interesting idea to discuss if it could make sense to dispense victory objective location on the map sections. The battle then would be won (a battle won would mean that the attacker is allowed to move towards the northern neighboring map)
if the defender has retreated, or the Attacker has reached the northern map border with strong forces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure we would have to start all three at the same time.
How would units from the bottom right turn left or exit in to the center map?

Perhaps there should only be one Exit at the top of the map for the defender only.

Lets say the center attacker can only make it half way up the map in the time allotted (We'll assume 30 minutes for every scenario) but both the left side and right side make it to the top and take their maps.
In the next round we could have the over all Commander decide what forces he would like to transfer to the center battle.
A map could then be created with units arriving on the edges of the center map.

And now that I'm thinking about it, the maps can change every turn.
For example, the starting map is 400m deep but the attacker only can make it 300m by the end.
So the 300m is now the start line for the next round and the new map is still 400m deep.
Does that make sense?

Also I would suggest that the time for each battle is relative short, so that it is unlikely that the map sections will be won in one or two battles. This map divided in six parts (battle maps) can produce quite long maps (distance south - north end), which will facilitate more battles needed to reach the northern end. Also it could be a interesting idea to discuss if it could make sense to dispense victory objective location on the map sections. The battle then would be won (a battle won would mean that the attacker towards the northern neighboring map)
if the defender has retreated, or the Attacker has reached the northern map border with strong forces.

I was even thinking 15 or 20 minutes a battle and like I say above just keep shifting the maps up at 400m at a time.
It would be a lot of set up time for such short battles.

You could say that a battle is "won" by strong forces reaching the northern edge.
I guess that's where the Exit Zone for the attacker would come in to play.

I like the idea of a rolling map of 400m deep. You?

Perhaps there should only be one Exit at the top of the map for the defender only.
I agree.

I was even thinking 15 or 20 minutes a battle and like I say above just keep shifting the maps up at 400m at a time.
It would be a lot of set up time for such short battles.

You could say that a battle is "won" by strong forces reaching the northern edge.
I guess that's where the Exit Zone for the attacker would come in to play.

I like the idea of a rolling map of 400m deep. You?

You are correct that the amount time for setting up each battle must be manageable and kept in mind.

Therefore I would suggest 1.5km deep (no rolling map) and around 35 minutes. But a rolling map with lower size could also be a fantastic method

But I am not sure what will be the best solution.
Maybe a good idea could be to playtest it with different parameters? Also it would heavily depends on what forces each side has available and how the terrain is.

Just looking at the map the editor, if using the idea of a rolling map I suppose you could start with just three maps and just stop the battles at 30 minutes where the commanders can realign their units and new battles can start where they ended.
Hmmmm. :unsure:

Just looking at the map the editor, if using the idea of a rolling map I suppose you could start with just three maps and just stop the battles at 30 minutes where the commanders can realign their units and new battles can start where they ended.
Hmmmm. :unsure:
I think it would be a good idea to playtest this. I would apply to help play testing this. Playtesting would proceed much faster if there would be many play tester.

Back