Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Towed AT Guns

E

easytarget

Ok, I'm in a QB w/ my brother, I've shot a couple of trucks pulling AT guns quickly across the map for some keyhole positions in forest gaps avoiding detection.

The catch is, I couldn't easily find what the instruction is in the manual for getting the gun crew to unload and unlimber the gun.

The only thing that looked close under special commands was dismount, so that's what I hit. I'm hoping when the next turn runs and the crew and jumps out of the deuce they'll be standing there ready to do something constructive, like provide me with a command option to move and then unlimber the gun.

Am I totally off the reservation here or on the right track? I'd like to get these two guns in place before the armor makes an appearance.

Ok, I'm in a QB w/ my brother, I've shot a couple of trucks pulling AT guns quickly across the map for some keyhole positions in forest gaps avoiding detection.

The catch is, I couldn't easily find what the instruction is in the manual for getting the gun crew to unload and unlimber the gun.

The only thing that looked close under special commands was dismount, so that's what I hit. I'm hoping when the next turn runs and the crew and jumps out of the deuce they'll be standing there ready to do something constructive, like provide me with a command option to move and then unlimber the gun.

Am I totally off the reservation here or on the right track? I'd like to get these two guns in place before the armor makes an appearance.

I just give them a move order to where I want them to be and they disembark.

Yes, move them a bit and they will debark. You may also have to give them a command of "deploy weapon" like MGs but not sure.

Ok, so they were smart enough to do what I asked them, next time I'll just tell them to get off and head where i want them to, which is what i'll do next.

thx guys

Here is a corollary question, in cmx1 i could tell guys to jump on tanks for a ride, used to do this with MG guys in particular since they were lugging heavy stuff and fell behind heading out from spawn, I can't make out whether you can do that in cmbn, can you?

I just give them a move order to where I want them to be and they disembark.
You can only get the deploy order after they debark. I would think thats a bug in CMBN, because you have to remember to go back the following order with the deployment turn and order deploy here..a real pain.

I can understand why there is an extra click to deploy, because it takes time to undeploy for some units (unlike CMx1). So if you want a mortar team to jog off at a moment's notice, you may not want to deploy that team. Rather, you would want to have them just hang out until it is time to bug out. By adding the extra click, you can decide who is ready to fire quickly and who is ready to move quickly.

I'm still part way through tests, but this is a procedure that seems to be working at the moment-

1- Give the towing vehicle a move order to very near to where you want the gun to set up.
2- Now give the gun a move order to the exact spot (while it's still under tow)
3- Rght-click any empty area of map to clear your cursor, then click the GUN's waypoint to make it glow white and issue a 'Face' order to where you want the gun to point, immediately followed (still glowing) by a 'Deploy' order.

In the move phase the veh will tow the gun and stop, and the gun crew will push the gun to the setup point, face it, then deploy it (ie spread its trail arms)

WARNING- we're looking at around 7 turns for the gun to unhook from the veh, get pushed into position and faced, then finally deployed with its trail arms spread, that's a l-o-o-o--ng time..
Also, the crew might decide to ignore your waypoint and facing orders to some degree, and set up at a spot and a facing that suits themselves, based on cover, terrain and facing etc. For example they refused to set up in the middle of the road so I suppose they know best..

Does 7 turns equal 7 minutes? If so, that's seems reasonable.

Yah 7 mins.
PS- during that time click the gun in the orders phase just to check they haven't gone to sleep, and you should see the green movement line or blue facing line still there which means they're still working on it so be patient, I suppose they're tightening nuts and bolts and stuff.
Another thing:- the gun movement speed is always 'Move' (walking speed) you can try issuing 'Fast' but it won't speed them up, they'll ignore it and walk.
I heard the gun weighs a ton so we can't blame them.

Okay here are the test results,the order sequence to unhook a gun from the veh and push it into place is simply Move > Face > Deploy

Just for the record let's start unhooked. Give the gun a 'Move' order to the HT, make sure the waypoint is sitting a few feet in the air on top of the veh to indicate a valid embark lock-
(Note- if the veh already has too many passengers you have to kick them out first to make room for the gun crew)
gun1.gif

Bingo, ready to roll-
gun2.gif

Give the veh any type of move order (yellow line) then give the gun a move order (blue line) to where you want it to set up. Right-click an empty area of the map to clear your cursor, then click the guns waypoint to make it glow white and give it a 'Face' order..
gun-face.gif

And finally a 'Deploy' order-
gun-dep.gif

Start the turn. The veh moves off and stops at its waypoint and the gun crew unhook the gun and begin pushing it into position. Note its trails are still in the limber position for ease of pushing-
gun4.gif

They then deploy it (trails spread). but it won't be ready for several minutes yet, you can click on it as turns tick by to check its progress, here we see the face order is still pending which means they're working on it and presumably its not ready to fire yet, although I suppose we could cancel the Face order right now (Delete key) if we don't want to wait any longer-
gun5.gif

Finally ready to rock (using the SS-Hitlerjugend uniform mod)-
gun-rhe.gif

Back