Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

US Military Ordered To Open All Frontline Combat Roles To Women

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
CVX9IF9WEAABFia%201_zpsnjhfdil8.jpg

US Defence Secretary Ash Carter has announced that he is ordering the American military to open all combat jobs to women, rebuffing requests by the Marine Corps to exclude women from certain frontline roles.

Declaring that "we are a joint force", Mr Carter said that while moving women into these jobs will present challenges, the military can no longer afford to exclude half of the population from gruelling military positions.

He said any man or woman who meets the standards should be able to serve, and he gave the armed services 30 days to submit plans to make the historic change.

Mr Carter's order opens the final 10% of military roles to women, and allows them to serve in the most demanding and difficult jobs, including as special operations forces, such as the Army Delta units and Navy Seals.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, General Joseph Dunford, former Marine Corps commandant, had argued that the Marines should be allowed to keep women out of certain frontline combat jobs, citing studies showing that mixed-gender units are not as capable as all-male units.

Mr Carter said he came to a different conclusion, but added that the integration of women into the combat roles will be deliberate and methodical and will address the Marine Corps' concerns.

Gen Dunford did not attend the news conference to announce the change, and when asked about that absence, Mr Carter said he has discussed his decision multiple times with the chairman.

While noting that, on average, men and women have different physical abilities, Mr Carter said the services must assign tasks and jobs based on ability, rather than on gender.

He said that was likely to result in smaller numbers of women in some jobs. Equal opportunity, he said, will not mean equal participation in some speciality roles. But he added that combat effectiveness is still the main goal, and there will be no quotas for women in any posts.

The decision comes after several years of study, and will wipe away generations of limits on how and where women can fight for their country.

Only the Marine Corps sought any exceptions in removing the long-held ban on allowing women to serve in dangerous combat jobs. The Army, Navy and Air Force have moved steadily towards allowing women to serve in all posts, and only the most risky jobs remain closed.

A senior defence official said the services will have to begin putting plans in place by April 1.

Mr Carter has hinted at the decision for months, telling US troops in Sicily in October that limiting his search for qualified military candidates to just half the population would be "crazy".

He had given Gen Dunford until the end of October to forward his review of the services' recommendations on which jobs, if any, should remain closed to women. As Marine commandant, Gen Dunford was the only service chief to recommend that some frontline combat jobs stay male-only, according to several US officials.

Mr Carter had pledged to thoroughly review the recommendations, particularly those of the Marine Corps, but said he generally believes that any qualified candidate should be allowed to compete for jobs.

But the senior defence official said that while Mr Carter recognises there may be difficulties in opening the roles to women, he has made his decision and all the services will follow it.

Answering a question from a Marine in Sicily, Mr Carter said, "You have to recruit from the American population. Half the American population is female. So I'd be crazy not to be, so to speak, fishing in that pond for qualified service members."

For that reason, the defence secretary said the military should recruit women into as many specialities as possible.

One would think that mankind would learn after our past experiences in war, that some women are quite capable at carrying their load in combat.
I for one, would not object, though I would certainly not fraternize with one while in a combat zone.
While attending my Senior NCO Academy, there was a strict no fraternization rule, that this one couple ignored. That bought them an immediate expulsion, a ticket home, and surely delayed their ability to be promoted, as the successful graduation from the academy was mandatory for all Senior NCO ranks.

Last edited:
in theory in it makes sense but only time will tell if it actually works in practice

I dunno... its a tough call. Males are hard wired (mostly) to look after females.... and thats not being sexist... its in our DNA. Would this have an impact on our actions on a battlefield?

Undoubtedly there would be some of that, but in combat, I would expect their training would come to the fore, as the team concept training would be critical for it to succeed.

Besides, the VC & NVA seemed to have reasonable success using women.
Many of the women shooters I have known, are excellent shots.

So when will they be required to register for Selective Service?

Maybe some soldiers would be embarrassed by been bettered by a woman and get taunted by other males.

Or maybe they're more worried about whether an 80 pound woman can carry a 200 pound man off the battlefield if they're ever wounded in combat or if they'll be left to die or be captured.

Or maybe they're more worried about whether an 80 pound woman can carry a 200 pound man off the battlefield if they're ever wounded in combat or if they'll be left to die or be captured.

Does an 80 lb soldier meet any frontline standard? And if so if he is capable of carrying a 300 lb woman to safety should be permitted to serve? Perhaps not because "they" (regular sized soldiers) may be afraid if they are wounded they will be left to die.

We may disqualify certain sized people regardless of their ability because of the physiological effect (worry) it has on regular sized soldiers.

OK, how about the 800 LB gorilla in the room? The potential for rape and sexual abuse? Under combat conditions I can see a huge problem. I mean, if I'm (theoretically) in a foxhole with incoming and facing possible death, that chick in her BDU's next to me is going to start to look like the girl at the end of the bar at closing time. Just sayin'.

Not likely to happen if it's a guy in the foxhole.

The potential for rape and sexual abuse?

Not likely to happen if it's a guy in the foxhole.

Perhaps there is a greater likelihood of sexual assault with women living closely confined with men.

But are men not at risk of rape? Seriously. Gays are allowed in the military.

Why is it not likely? And is rape really a sexual act? Is it not most often about power and extreme violence. Ex. Prison rape - hetro vs hetro male rape.

What about the IDF? Has women in it for decades. Wouldn't think that is a bad army...

Back