Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

War on the Sea

One of the things that bothers me about the game (besides the AI) is the unrealistic OOB.
My God ! They've got every ship that was ever commissioned in either navy on the campaign roster!
I understand it is for playability. I mean, who's going to buy a game that only has enough ships for two, maybe three major battles?
Still, it's not really the Guadacanal Campaign is it? Even though they would have us believe it is.
If I watch one more You Tuber attack another American convoy consisting of 2-3DDs and 4 Cargo ships with 8 Vals imma gonna hurl!

One of the things that bothers me about the game (besides the AI) is the unrealistic OOB.
My God ! They've got every ship that was ever commissioned in either navy on the campaign roster!
I understand it is for playability. I mean, who's going to buy a game that only has enough ships for two, maybe three major battles?
Still, it's not really the Guadacanal Campaign is it? Even though they would have us believe it is.
If I watch one more You Tuber attack another American convoy consisting of 2-3DDs and 4 Cargo ships with 8 Vals imma gonna hurl!
Well they could be attacking with one Val...

This game has been much improved since it's initial release. Recently a patch added AP bombs and now takes into account different thicknesses of deck armor on various types of ships.

I think @DoubleD and @Vartuoosi have this in their collections, not sure if they've played it much though?
I played for a while, through a couple of the updates and I saw marked improvements, but the combat got a bit repetitive and later in the campaign it became very one sided, my side. I had maxed out fleets and I’d eroded the enemy so much they couldn’t field anything that could compete. It then became a logistical exercise to take the island objectives and I never finished it. As @mTk says, it’s not constricted to historical availability of assets so operational skills needed are…. little.

It is real time but that wasn’t a problem because it can be paused and commands issued so I never got overwhelmed like a classic RTS. The graphics fit the period, thought not stunning, looking very much like the submarine game they market (Cold Waters).

For some people it may be spot on, for me it lacked the depth I was hoping for and the AI wasn’t enough of a challenge, especially on an operational level. I still have an itch for a naval sim that will challenge and I’m watching Task Force Admiral with interest, hoping that will have enough for me to invest in.

In general I’m seeing, and have bought, too many games which are released at full price that don’t feel finished. I’m leaning more towards staying my excitement about the hype and waiting until they’re bedded in. I don’t need to be an early adopter, preferring to get a game I can enjoy that is optimised, enjoyable to play to completion. At my later years maybe I’m learning patience o_O

I played for a while, through a couple of the updates and I saw marked improvements, but the combat got a bit repetitive and later in the campaign it became very one sided, my side. I had maxed out fleets and I’d eroded the enemy so much they couldn’t field anything that could compete. It then became a logistical exercise to take the island objectives and I never finished it. As @mTk says, it’s not constricted to historical availability of assets so operational skills needed are…. little.

It is real time but that wasn’t a problem because it can be paused and commands issued so I never got overwhelmed like a classic RTS. The graphics fit the period, thought not stunning, looking very much like the submarine game they market (Cold Waters).

For some people it may be spot on, for me it lacked the depth I was hoping for and the AI wasn’t enough of a challenge, especially on an operational level. I still have an itch for a naval sim that will challenge and I’m watching Task Force Admiral with interest, hoping that will have enough for me to invest in.

In general I’m seeing, and have bought, too many games which are released at full price that don’t feel finished. I’m leaning more towards staying my excitement about the hype and waiting until they’re bedded in. I don’t need to be an early adopter, preferring to get a game I can enjoy that is optimised, enjoyable to play to completion. At my later years maybe I’m learning patience o_O
@DoubleD have you played WOTS with the Toyko Express Mod yet? Totally different and better experience IMO.

@DoubleD have you played WOTS with the Toyko Express Mod yet? Totally different and better experience IMO.
I haven't, but following your post I had a quick look at the mod write up. A bit amazed that it requires a mod, based upon the write ups, to turn the game into what it should've been at release....

I might but this onmmy replay list. I'll let you know when I get there (y) ;)

I haven't, but following your post I had a quick look at the mod write up. A bit amazed that it requires a mod, based upon the write ups, to turn the game into what it should've been at release....

I might but this onmmy replay list. I'll let you know when I get there (y) ;)
@DoubleD Couldn't agree with you more.

@DoubleD I think that there are 3 people developing the Task Force Admiral: Volume 1 American Carrier Battles that left Killerfish games over creative differences regarding WOTS. So that might be why the "vanilla" game seems a little "lacking"...

I bought it when it came out. I have always wanted a sim about ship-vs-ship combat in the Solomons so this was a must buy.

but, yes, so far it has been underwhelming. There has been a lot of improvements in the game, and the combat is getting good, but the biggest issue is the AI which is not very good and not much of a challenge. What this game really needs is the ability to script what the AI does or even better, a way to play it against human players.

Reactions: mTk
Well, the mod improves the game and makes it more challenging. The vanilla AI is no challenge, but it is better with the mod, much better. The game was clearly rushed out, sort of like "Cyberpunk 2077".

I watched the Jingles play through for Cyberpunk 2077 and you are right..to a degree.
The PC version was just fine. It was the rush to get it out on other devices that was a disaster.
Yes, I watched that series to and there were still a sufficient number of bugs on full display in that game as well. WOTS was rushed out for sure. But they have been working on it and the Mod really makes the game so much better.

Major AI updates this last week, you can customize your ship AA defensive fire scheme and aircraft attack tactics.

Back