Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Westland Whirlwind (Fighter aircraft)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
The Westland Whirlwind was a British twin-engined ample warrior advanced via Westland Aircraft. It was the Royal Air Force’s first single-seat, twin-engined, cannon-furnished warrior, and a contemporary of the Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane. It was one of the quickest air ship in aid when it flew in the late 1930s, and was substantially more amply equipped than all others.

2011_0529_un_peacekeeper_zpskcc96fno.jpg

The only Westland fighter to achieve operational status with the RAF, the Whirlwind was designed in response to Specification F.37/35 for a "cannon fighter" armed with four 20mm guns. As the P.9, the Westland design emerged as a low-wing monoplane with two Rolls-Royce Peregrine I 12-cylinder liquid-cooled Vee engines, each rated at 885hp at 4575m.

AZYX_zps4akzwqor.jpg

The four Hispano Mk I guns were grouped in the nose, the pilot enjoyed a good all-round view from a fully-enclosed cockpit in line with the wing trailing edge, and radiators were buried in the wing leading edges inboard of the nacelles. Construction was of metal throughout, with flush-riveted stressed skins, a novelty being the use of magnesium rather than aluminium sheet to cover the monocoque fuselage aft of the cockpit. Two prototypes were ordered by the Air Ministry in February 1937, and the first of these flew on 11 October 1938.

66305428bc1c013bfe381961dabf168d_zpsg0jih4fs.jpg

Despite delays in development and production of the Peregrine engine, two contracts were placed in 1939, each for 200 fighters as Whirlwind Is, and the first series aircraft flew in June 1940. In the event, produc tion ended with 114 aircraft built, these serving with only two RAF squadrons (Nos 263 and 137). Armament problems and changing operational needs curtailed the usefulness of the Whirlwind, which was enhanced in late 1942 by the addition of a pair of wing racks to carry two 113kg or 227kg bombs. Operational use of the Westland fighter came to an end in November 1943.

aviastar.org
infohow.org
reddit.com

At first glance I thought they were going to attach all those bombs to the Whirlwind so I had to look up it's armaments.

Armament
Guns: 4 × Hispano 20 mm cannon with 60 rounds per gun
Bombs: optionally 2 × 250 lb (115 kg) or 500 lb (230 kg) bombs

Two 250lbers makes much more sense. :rolleyes:

EhmyFCE.png

Back