Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

What are you listening to right now?

laurencemason@hotmail.co.uk

A little tribute to Dave Greenfield (keyboardist with The Stranglers who died with Covid-19 last week) and Paul Desmond (saxophonist with the Dave Brubeck quartet - the anniversary of his death is at the end of this month). Also because I've been enjoying editing videos and recording stuff over the last couple of months. A couple of people have asked how I made this video so here we go - I took a clip from a 1964 live version of Take Five (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh...) and made the drum loop by chopping up the intro and turning it from 5/4 into the 3/4 - 4/4 groove that Golden Brown has. The upright bass sound is sequenced from Logic, and the piano part was played in using one of the piano sounds from a Nord Electro 5D. Then I played the sax part over the top (I play a King Zephyr alto and for this I used a hard rubber Yanigasawa mouthpiece rather than my usual bright Guardala). The video was then edited using the clip I'd taken the drum loop from.

laurencemason@hotmail.co.uk

A little tribute to Dave Greenfield (keyboardist with The Stranglers who died with Covid-19 last week) and Paul Desmond (saxophonist with the Dave Brubeck quartet - the anniversary of his death is at the end of this month). Also because I've been enjoying editing videos and recording stuff over the last couple of months. A couple of people have asked how I made this video so here we go - I took a clip from a 1964 live version of Take Five (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh...) and made the drum loop by chopping up the intro and turning it from 5/4 into the 3/4 - 4/4 groove that Golden Brown has. The upright bass sound is sequenced from Logic, and the piano part was played in using one of the piano sounds from a Nord Electro 5D. Then I played the sax part over the top (I play a King Zephyr alto and for this I used a hard rubber Yanigasawa mouthpiece rather than my usual bright Guardala). The video was then edited using the clip I'd taken the drum loop from.

Wow, what an amazing project @Rico!!
Video editing, soundtrack editing, AND playing and recording your own saxophone! I'm impressed!

The Dave Brubeck Quartet was one of my dad's favourite bands.
Although not my scene, their jazz is approachable and sounds as cool as a 'tall glass of iced water'.

I didn't know The Stangler's keyboardist Dave Greenfield died from Covid-19.
The Strangler's played for decades, from the 70's to the 90's. Golden Brown is one of my faves.

Another great song of theirs from the 80's...

As an aside, your project has given me some fuel.
I'm going to be buying a midi keyboard shortly, along with some music production software.
Talked about doing it last year, but then a bunch of shite hit the fan, followed by covid.
My project was delayed, but not forgotten.

-----
"Alton Glenn Miller (March 1, 1904 – disappeared December 15, 1944) was an American big-band trombonist, arranger, composer, and bandleader in the swing era. He was the best-selling recording artist from 1939 to 1942, leading one of the best-known big bands. Miller's recordings include "In the Mood", "Moonlight Serenade", "Pennsylvania 6-5000", "Chattanooga Choo Choo", "A String of Pearls", "At Last", "(I've Got a Gal In) Kalamazoo", "American Patrol", "Tuxedo Junction", "Elmer's Tune", and "Little Brown Jug". In just four years Glenn Miller scored 16 number-one records and 69 top ten hits—more than Elvis Presley (38 top 10s) and the Beatles (33 top 10s) did in their careers.[5][6][7]
-
In 1942, Miller volunteered to join the U.S. military to entertain troops during World War II, ending up with the U.S. Army Air Forces. On December 15, 1944, while flying to Paris, Miller's aircraft disappeared in bad weather over the English Channel. He was posthumously awarded the Bronze Star Medal." -
Wiki

Last edited:
Wow, what an amazing project @Rico!!
Video editing, soundtrack editing, AND playing and recording your own saxophone! I'm impressed!

The Dave Brubeck Quartet was one of my dad's favourite bands.
Although not my scene, their jazz is approachable and sounds as cool as a 'tall glass of iced water'.

I didn't know The Stangler's keyboardist Dave Greenfield died from Covid-19.
The Strangler's played for decades, from the 70's to the 90's. Golden Brown is one of my faves.

Another great song of theirs from the 80's...

As an aside, your project has given me some fuel.
I'm going to be buying a midi keyboard shortly, along with some music production software.
Talked about doing it last year, but then a bunch of shite hit the fan, followed by covid.
My project was delayed, but not forgotten.
Just saw this -- no, I didn't do that ... am absolutely unmusical! -- I copied the explanation of the guy, Laurence Mason I think, who did it and posted it on Youtube.

I wish I was that talented :LOL:

Back