Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

What Is A Hero

fabishd

FGM Captain
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
"What is a hero? My heroes are the young men who faced the issues of war and possible death, and then weighed those concerns against obligations to their country. Citizen-soldiers, who interrupted their personal and professional lives at their most formative stage, in the timeless phrase of the Confederate Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery, 'not for fame of reward, not for place of for rank, but in simple obedience to duty, as they understood it.”

Senator James Webb (D-VA) & Former Secretary of the Navy

To all the men and women that took up the obligation to protect their nations, thank you.

"What is a hero? My heroes are the young men who faced the issues of war and possible death, and then weighed those concerns against obligations to their country. Citizen-soldiers, who interrupted their personal and professional lives at their most formative stage, in the timeless phrase of the Confederate Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery, 'not for fame of reward, not for place of for rank, but in simple obedience to duty, as they understood it.”

Senator James Webb (D-VA) & Former Secretary of the Navy

To all the men and women that took up the obligation to protect their nations, thank you.
Very well said Sir .....Totally Agree

Here in Germany the term "hero" has nearly vanished. At least since WW2 when millions died a "heros death" for Führer, Volk und Vaterland...in reality for the reign of terror.
I always had a bad feeling about this term since it seemed to be an instrument of manipulation.

Totally agree, very few time a hero can be such for everyone, most of the time is someone that makes actions above and beyond his duty and at the same time is someone that rises widows and orphans as well.

Here in Germany the term "hero" has nearly vanished. At least since WW2 when millions died a "heros death" for Führer, Volk und Vaterland...in reality for the reign of terror.
I always had a bad feeling about this term since it seemed to be an instrument of manipulation.

What a terrific perspective. Your perspective is what makes FGM a great club. I had my blinders on and had the hidden assumption that each country and culture has the same "hero" perspective which is not the case.

Thank you for bringing this bias to my attention.

I look forward to others FGM members bringing up different perspectives.

To speak of a hero in military circumstances isn't really done in my country because (I think) it glorifies warfare.

But in sports it is no problem at all...

Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar, Gandhi in India, Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko in South Africa, Martin Luther King in the US, Mother Teresa in Calcutta, or Sister Emmanuelle in Cairo are names of modern times heroes who come first to my mind.
( nothing to do with religion, I'm an atheist... :))

Last edited by a moderator:
Back