Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

What is the first major news event you were aware of as a child?

Bootie

FGM OWNER
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There are 2 news events I can remember vaguely as a child.... The first is the Challenger disaster and the other was the Lockerbie bombing. I think the next event that has stuck with me would be The First Gulf War although I was 14 years old by then. So... Whats yours?

Last edited:
I dont recall order but beyond local (national) news I was struck by :

- the sinking of the HMS Sheffield (It was sunk by a French Exocet and as a kid I was wondering if we might be at war with GB as consequence)

- the Lebanon invasion by Israel

Challenger also come to mind but was faaaaar older (as a kid point of view of course)

I was very young and I can't forget the moon landing (audio) on a big b/w tv

Man walking on the moon just like Massimo....came home for lunch from school except I watched in a small (very small) B/W TV.....with rabbit ears antenna.

Before that I'd watch the news but was never really interested in it.

Shooting of Lennon and Pope John Paul II, declaration of martial law in Poland (war in a neighbouring country? ), Falklands war (GB going to war?, what next?)...some of the very first impressions of the news world

Shooting of Lennon and Pope John Paul II, declaration of martial law in Poland (war in a neighbouring country? ), Falklands war (GB going to war?, what next?)...some of the very first impressions of the news world

We really show our age in this thread....I remember when Pope John Paul II was shot like it was yesterday (being of Polish heritage) but I was in the back seat of a car drinking beer with the lads listening to music on the radio when a news bulletin interrupted the song....can't remember the song though....probably something from the B-52's or Blondie LOL

B52s...didnt know they were active in the 70ies already...I owned a TAPE in the early 90ies!
Before switching to Techno for some years...:D

Moon landings probably for me, but my biggest thing overall is that I felt I was born into a world where we (the west? or maybe even then good old Great Britain - whatever happened to that great country) always moved forward, everything was improving - new developments, progress. My heart broke when we no longer supported Concorde, and I realised my childish notion of progress was false.

Naturally being a keen follower of all things military, I seem to recall a lot of wars.

The first 2? I remember watching a moon landing on television at my grandparents house, and I remember the OPEC oil crisis in '73. But, I didn't know that was news as much as I remember waiting in line for gas (petrol, for you Brits).

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 news events I can remember vaguely as a child.... The first is the Challenger disaster and the other was the Lockerbie bombing. I think the next event that has stuck with me would be The First Gulf War although I was 14 years old by then. So... Whats yours?

I´m not kidding, but those would be the ones I remember best to. Maybe not so much Lockerbie though.

Fall of the Berlin Wall (age 5). But the first one I watched the news every night was the Yugoslav War in the early 90's. It was years later by chance (bus had mechanical problems) that in 2009 during my touring of Europe we got to stop by at Srebrenica. I had to tell most of the tour group (all around my age) that they were all alive and in primary school at the time when this occurred. Sort of rammed it home for some of them that not all history is about the long dead.

Back