Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

What PC / graphics card / monitor combination do you use?

jobu88

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm about due for a new PC and monitor. Some of you have posted incredibly sharp screenshots, so I ask what your PC and graphics card is? I don't play online games like ARMA that require a blazing fast processor but I would like to move up as far as my CM visual appearance.

I'm currently on an ancient early 2013 machine...

GTX980 with a 1920 x 1200 resolution monitor.

About to be replaced by....
RTX3080 with a 4K resolution monitor.

Well whenever graphics cards are in stock again so maybe 2052. :p Pretty sure the sharp screenshots we're seeing is from the community slowly upgrading to 4K monitors. Just be warned the UI won't scale so will become quite a bit smaller if you 4K up.

I treated myself on a new work laptop that I could also use for gaming (save space in the house) earlier last year:

HP Envy laptop with Geforce RTX 2060 and intel i7-10750. Very happy with it, except the battery life is not that great.
I also have an external monitor at home, a LG ultrawide 34" with a 3440x1440 resolution. Since I've been working at home since the start of the pandemic, it has been a very good investment not just for gaming.

I'm on a laptop too. But a bit older: Asus G751 with a 980M graphics card.

Why game on a laptop? Because I wanted to convince myself I was growing up and no longer could dedicate my bedroom to be a gamer's den. What if I had a lady over?

I recently had, and she complained about my curtains instead.

A few thoughts about your question about sharp screenshots:

I'm playing on standard resolution, but I really wonder if there's much benefit from going 4K in Combat Mission. The underlying graphics are not that detailed, and there are many glitches, so you're just going to see all the shortcomings amplified, I think. Also, making the user interface even smaller is not going to be helpful.

What I could see being a benefit is buying an extra wide monitor. Because that might help you get an overview of more of the battlefield at the same time, increasing your situational awareness.

In any case, CM is not so much restricted by the GPU as the CPU. I think most GPUs these days could handle high resolution CM gaming, but if you want to increase performance, go for the CPU that has the highest single-core performance.

On a 3080 RTX with a i7 from 2017 (7700K) and a 1440P IPS panel with gsync.

I think that indeed the CPU is the main bottleneck in CM, although with engine 5 they said they will look at performance so in the future a better GPU might yield better results.

A 3080 is probably overkill for anythink below 4K or VR and if you're only playing CM will still probably be overkill after Engine 5 comes out at 4K. But it is a nice card, I was lucky to get it last december at a reasonable/normal price. My plan is to upgrade my CPU and or get VR in the next years orso, which is why I went for the 3080. But like others said, acquiring a decent GPU for a resonable price can be rather hard nowadays.

One thing I'd look for is to find a monitor that supports some sort of FPS sync (Gsync or Opensync etc). This elinimates the need for VSYNC in all applications while ensuring smooth FPS transitions and no screen tearing. Gsync monitors tend to be rather expensive though.

Why game on a laptop? Because I wanted to convince myself I was growing up and no longer could dedicate my bedroom to be a gamer's den. What if I had a lady over?

I never bother with those RGB lights etc. They cost more while I actually prefer a case to look more business oriented. Also you can tell yourself you need a decent computer for working from home ;-). And get new curtains at the same time; win win .

I never bother with those RGB lights etc. They cost more while I actually prefer a case to look more business oriented. Also you can tell yourself you need a decent computer for working from home ;-). And get new curtains at the same time; win win .

I don't like RGB lights either. Always going for the most subdued look for a laptop that I can get. However, I got the 751 because it has really good cooling, so those big vents on the backside are not just to make it look like a jet fighter.

Just bought some new curtains today by the way. A man must invest.

One thing I'd look for is to find a monitor that supports some sort of FPS sync (Gsync or Opensync etc). This elinimates the need for VSYNC in all applications while ensuring smooth FPS transitions and no screen tearing. Gsync monitors tend to be rather expensive though.
Just be aware that Gsync can cause flickering in Combat Mission.

I have a Gsync screen on my laptop, and I love it for all other games. It's just that it sometimes flickers when playing CM. The flicker can be very subtle (but annoying) or at times very obvious (and really annoying).

From what I can read online, it's cause by the game engine sometimes dropping down to zero FPS for a very short amont of time - this trips up Gsync in some way.

Just bought some new curtains today by the way. A man must invest.
I too game with an older PC; a MSI GT72S G-220 with GTX 980M graphics but also use an ASUS VS278Q-P 27" monitor. I'll do "office" type tasks on the laptop screen but only play games using the larger monitor. I enjoy a basement workstation; the bedroom is for the lady I wed. She chooses the curtains.

I enjoy a basement workstation; the bedroom is for the lady I wed. She chooses the curtains.

There's a lesson for me in there somewhere.

But as Kierkegaard said:

"Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way".

Last edited:
I use a TV that has 1920 x 1080 pixels, just so I can sit comfortably with my wireless keyboard & mouse. Although I'm upgrading to a 4GB Graphics card, currently have a 2GB card, originally had a 1GB card when I got the PC in 2013. I'm happy to have a good frame rate.
I also use a TV a 41 inch Philips. Same @Nathangun I use a wireless keyboard and can sit in my recliner and play CM.

Just be aware that Gsync can cause flickering in Combat Mission.

I have a Gsync screen on my laptop, and I love it for all other games. It's just that it sometimes flickers when playing CM. The flicker can be very subtle (but annoying) or at times very obvious (and really annoying).

From what I can read online, it's cause by the game engine sometimes dropping down to zero FPS for a very short amont of time - this trips up Gsync in some way.
Luckily don't have that issue myself.
My brother had some strange flickering for certain games as well, he has a similar panel but a TN instead of IPS. My PC used to be exactly the same as his, apart from the monitor, and I didn't have it. IIRC it resolved over time but not sure.

There's a lesson for me in there somewhere.

But as Kierkegaard said:
"Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way".
But . . . . but . . . it seems to me that Kierkegaard presupposes all regrets to be qualitatively equal. I assure you that this is not the case; I regret having no beer far more than I regret having one beer too many. :sneaky:
And be it known, here and now, that I've never regretted my marriage (note: my wife may opine differently) but will admit I've often regretted my many moronic behaviors in marriage . . . ;)
SkĂĄl, min ven!

it seems to me that Kierkegaard presupposes all regrets to be qualitatively equal.

I think his deeper point was about existentialism - the regret is not about being married or not, but having made a real decision to get married (or not).

The person who gets married by choice makes the right decision, no matter if his marriage turns out happy or sad - and likewise the person who stays unmarried by choice does the right thing, even if that means having to choose his own curtains.

Back