Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Who was the greatest?

General Field Marshalls Erich von Manstein, Walter Model, Erwin Rommel

(they fought for an evil regime - no need to discuss that - but they were briliant strategists and commanders)

Eisenhower

...although my favorite generals are Teddy Roosevelt, Jr., and James Gavin. Great field commanders and fabulous stories.

Okay Australia bias... :)

General Leslie Morshead. First commander to consistently defeat the German ground forces in open battle from fixed positions. Blunted the Panzer Blitzkrieg in North Africa.

Okay I am putting my two cents in. The name that immediately comes to my mind is Patton of course but only because of the hype associated with his name. So not the greatest but first name that came to mind.

Zhukov was he the greatest? I dunno but he did defend his country against all odds and go and take Berlin. So Zhukov gets my vote.

if we are discussing the best as a purely military commander, I would have to say Rommel.

You look at what he achieved in North Africa in 1941-42 with very limited resources and it is hard to see how anyone else could have done as well or better.

Patton, Manstein, Montgomery, Zhukov were all very competent, but they had a lot more resources as well.

best commander with very limited resources to me is Mannerheim, he defended finnland when completely out numbered for a long time and inflicted massive casualties on the enemy, even if russians had bad leadership at the time and won in the end.

Bootie you mind is i hijack your thread a bit ;)
can we start another question who would everyone vote for, the greatest and most sucessfull General post ww2 and why ?

Back