FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
ricoschacherl@gmail.com
Interesting old black & white German World War 1 movie made in 1934, set on Western Front, Called Stosstrupp 1917 -- watched bits of it (understand the German, and notable for use of actual regional dialects amongst actors -- often missing in modern German movies)

... from minute 6:28 to 11:40 they do a trench raid on French lines for a possible prisoner snatch ... interesting stormtrooper tactics -- mostly rifles slung and copious use of handgrenades (have to excuse the weird speeded up movements of really old movies -- also all the voices during the raid were dubbed over in recording studio -- was shot outside and I guess sound recording technology of the time was limited)

It's a product of it's time, but quite unvarnished in it's portrayal of the trench warfare and an anti-war message (obviously just before the Nazis took over) ... some harrowing sequences when they spend days on end under non-stop Allied bombardment inside a cramped dugout -- in semi-darkness, going stir crazy and running out of food and water... haven't watched the whole thing yet...

Louis

FGM Major General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
None.
Email
bencejas@gmail.com
German prisoners carrying Canadian wounded. Advance east of Arras, Fr., Aug 1918.

Gunner

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
tramos1@optonline.net
At last Louis a site I can drive to!
:)
Well, it would be a bit of a drive really.

The site today:
(via Google Maps)

You can see the plaque on the wall to the right and the door was covered by the map.

Gunner

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
3-5 pw
Games
1 game.
Email
tramos1@optonline.net
I saw this on imgur and found it interesting.

It made me think of a picture I once saw a few years ago that touched me.
The above picture made me do some searching and found this:

"A picture by Fortunino Matania showing a gunner saying farewell to his dying horse known as “Goodbye Old Man”.
The original was painted for the Blue Cross Fund to raise money for the charity during the First World War. Date: 1916"