Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Your Favourite Aircraft Growing Up

Ithikial

FGM 2ND IN COMMAND
Staff member
Reaction score
Topic came up while watching the television. We were all kids once and we all probably tried to make model aircraft at some point. So forgetting performance, service, history, just curious what are members favourite looking military aircraft? What fighter/bomber could you just watch flying around for hours on end at an air show? Or if given the chance what would you try to steal for a joy flight? :p

For me, not exactly inspiring and original but have always loved the Spitfire and Hurricanes. Boy was I pissed when I learned about rules and regs preventing recreation flight operators in the UK a few years ago.
Spitfire_P7350_by_the_RAF.jpg

And for something a little modern.
f-18-hornet-fighter-aircraft-perth-2012-RAAF.jpg

This is a strange one but my favourite plane as a kid was the Halifax bomber. My Dad got me new wallpaper for my little bedroom when I was like 7 years old... it was covered in Spitfires, Halifax Bombers, F-14's and Red Arrows.... ??!!

I used to stare at the wall and instead of counting sheep I would have imaginary air battles with the 'goodies' trying to protect the Halifax from attack... LOL

images.jpg

I can´t come up with such evergreens but the fighter of my youth was the MiG-21. A bit later the 23 and the 29. To this time I found the MiG-29 a beauty. Today I like the 21 more because of its directer roots to the jet fighters of WW2. Concerning propeller driven fighters Spitfire (late versions) are in the inner circle - only beauties. Hawker Tempest V not bad either. On german side the FW-190 series was my absolute favourite. As jet fighter Horton H-IX/Go 229. Lippisch fighters (DM-1) and the Ural- and America Bombers (the jet variants) were a must - P.11, Ba-349 Natter, FW-Triebflügel, He-Julia I & II, Ar E-555, Fw-1000 etc. etc.! I can´t decide which one would be the most favourite for me. So I take them all. :D

Greetings :)

@Louis: Is that the type Hans-Ulrich Rudel signed responsible for? So far as I know he assisted developing a fighter or fighter-bomber for the argentinean Airforce. But I can be mistaken. It´s so long ago since I read his book.

Great idea for a thread, Ithikial (and there's nothing uninspiring about a Spitfire! It's a very elegant aircraft). Where to start. Too many favorites from different eras. If I listed them all I'd be photobombing this thread, so I'll just pick six or seven.

First, the C-5A/B Galaxy. My dad was a pilot in the USAF for 20+ years, and this is what he flew. In fact, he's flying the one in the picture below. Spent many a hour clambering over them, and I never tire of seeing them in flight. They're HUGE (The first time I saw a 747 I thought it looked small), so they almost appear to be hanging in the sky as the fly over. It's awesome, in the true sense of the word, especially when combined with the roar of those GE TF39 engines.
scan0035.jpg

The soundtrack to my childhood:

Second, the T-38 Talon. Such a sleek and trim looking aircraft with graceful lines. It just looks fun to fly, and it looks right at home plying through the skies. It's a trainer that is solely used for fighter lead-in now. Back in the day, when my dad went through pilot training, all student pilots got to fly it. He's in the picture below waving at the camera. Anyway, one of my favorite memories involving this aircraft was getting to ride in a chase truck that would chase these aircraft upon landing when they came back from their test flights. They were test flown after having gone through depot maintenance (depot maintenance is where they tear the aircraft apart and put it back together, replacing anything that needs to be replaced).
scan0012_2.jpg

Third, the Bone, or B-1B Lancer as it's commonly called. Love it's graceful appearance, the swing wing, and the raw power of its GE F101 engines. Freakin' cool bomb truck. This is the aircraft I wanted to fly. Had I been able to finish ROTC, receive a commission and gone through UPT, this is what I'd be flying right now. I even had pictures of this plane posted up in my dorm room at college as motivators for when I got sick of studying. Alas, life throws curve balls at you, but I still have a huge soft spot for this bird. I also had the opportunity to crawl around these while growing up. One of the bases we were stationed at had an Air National Guard bomb wing that flew B-1s. We'd go over to their hangars every once in awhile to check the Bones out. Good times.
B-1-foto-USAF.jpg

Fourth, Habu. Need I really say more?
lockheed_sr71_l3.jpg

Fifth, the F-105D Thunderchief, or Thud as it was called by those who flew her. I've always been fascinated with this aircraft and the stories of the men who flew them over Vietnam. I also like the unique appearance of the F-105, especially with how the intakes look.
Republic-F-105-Thunderchief-031.jpg

Sixth, the F4U Corsair. Always liked the unique gull wing design.
d5eaf195334d55761883afb8232c2d09.jpg

Seventh, and by no means last, the B-17F Flying Fortress. Whenever I see the F, it reminds me of some of the darkest days of the 8th AF's daylight bombing campaign over Europe; a time when the men flying and fighting in them had a much, much greater chance of being killed than living to see their 25th mission.
b17_snafu.jpg

Last edited:
@Sempai Yeah, after the war and pleased for then President Juan Domingo Peron, Rudel advised Argentina Air Force, being a professor at the Air War College of Argentina Air Force.
Rudel lived for five consecutive years in Argentina.

It tells a story that Rudel arrive at the Military Airplane Factory in Cordoba province with friends pilots Otto Behrens (former director of the test center Luftwaffe) and Max Dainz was told that they would stay with their families in a cabin in Villa General Belgrano where many scientists Luftwaffe and marine battleship Graf Spee were already living.
When they were offered a car with driver to take them to the village, Rudel kept calling three motorcycles Puma (which were made there). As Peron had ordered the authorities of the factory made available to the German experts, nothing could object.
Once installed on the bikes and received instructions to get to the Village (located about 80 Km. By hilly mountain road), Rudel shouted to his companions chose the first to reach the house and gunned the engine. Followed closely by his friends ran nonstop Rudel dodging cars and near the edge of the precipice, won the race.
Soon he added a sidecar on the bike, but not reduced speed cornering. The traffic police knew him as "the crazy German" and knew from experience that debian never accept when he kindly offered to take them.

Admiral%204_zpso1ovtxyl.jpg

Rudel and Peron and their wives in another visit to the country in the 70s

Others who helped were aeronautical development engineer Kurt Tank and Adolf Galland.-

Just as You mention that I think I remember that again. I think a note of that all was in his book "Trotzdem" (in English maybe: "Nevertheless" or "Nonetheless"). As I saw the plane and read it is an ground attack plane I immediately had to think on Rudel.

By the way, Louis, what means "debian"? Can´t find it in the translator.

As a kid in 1980 I saw this movie, Final Countdown ... cheesy SF movie about the carrier Nimitz travelling through a time vortex to arrive exactly just before Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour... since then had soft spot for the F-14 Tomcat -- long time before Top Gun. :)

The good news - I only saw that movie a couple of years ago for the first time. It's not as cheesy as it could have been. Had a very interesting premise and the dilemma of choice when you have absolute power.

The bad news - I only saw that movie a couple of years ago because 1980 was four years before I was born. ;) Though I was two years old when Top Gun came out. :D

Back