Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Your Favourite Aircraft Growing Up

The good news - I only saw that movie a couple of years ago for the first time. It's not as cheesy as it could have been. Had a very interesting premise and the dilemma of choice when you have absolute power.

The bad news - I only saw that movie a couple of years ago because 1980 was four years before I was born. ;) Though I was two years old when Top Gun came out. :D

Ok, now I feel old... :confused:

Now I'm feeling old- my favourite was an Italian biplane - the CR42- just something about it. Early kit present I think. In later life I I liked the early jets, sabre and English electric lightning. Friend of mine had a large photo if an old 'lightning' on an MOD range - fabulous...

OK. just one more.
I was an Air Force brat and occasionally I'd go with my dad out to the flight line.
I got to see this bad boy up close and personal. Thought it was the most amazing thing.
No points for ID'ing it, but you know you'll look it up. :D
0597204.jpg

When I was 36 my folks bought me an hour in a Warrior - it was brilliant. I was playing a lot of flight sims at the time, and when I got in the cockpit with the trainer, I grabbed the controls enthusiastically to which he said - "Oh- fighter pilot are we?"
:oops:

Enjoy your flights - great stuff.

I always had a soft spot for the B17, a couple of months ago there was an air show in Dublin and I got a fleeting glimpse of the aircraft.
A couple of days later I had a regular customer in my taxi, a man in his late 80's or early 90's wearing a RAF blazer (jacket), I asked was he an old war horse and he answered he flew Halifax/Lancaster bombers in the war, was shot down and captured in February 1945. I asked did he see the B17 flying over, he said he did, he didn't like them because of the low bomb load they carried. I couldn't argue with that, now my favorite bombers where the British ones.

I live not that far from Leeuwarden AFB, and in my youth the airforce still flew a lot. What we often heard and saw was this:

F104 Starfighter!!

Bu they didn't come as low as this:

The other plane I had great affection for was the Mirage III -- read a lot of Mick Tanguy comics (in German) as a kid... about a pair of French jet fighter pilots.

9783770433162.jpg

Tangy_01.jpg

They were illustrated by Uderzo, the same guy who drew Asterix :)

Probably one of the most elegant of the 60's fighter designs with that delta wing ... and absolutely deadly in the hands of the Israelis.

The Hun...that would be the image to the left.

Also like the SR 71, the F-22, FA-18, SU-27 Flanker, Mig 29, the Eurofighter, The Rafale, The Viggen, the Warthog and the XB-70...

Be back with my WW 2 list another day...

As a kid in 1980 I saw this movie, Final Countdown ... cheesy SF movie about the carrier Nimitz travelling through a time vortex to arrive exactly just before Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour... since then had soft spot for the F-14 Tomcat -- long time before Top Gun. :)

F-14A_Tomcats_of_VF-84_during_The_Final_Countdown_filming_1979.jpg

Ha ! I remember that movie .. !

I agree lads. I used to make the models of Hurricanes , Spitfires and especially the Lancaster ..but as a kid I used to do a newspaper run every morning and one day all us kids who delivered received a free ticket to a movie ... Firefox ! Clint Eastwood as the goodie and I still remember how exciting it was to be in that movie theatre ...

@combatwombat I thought you were going to say all you kids got a free kit, and it reminded me of coming home from school to find two shoe boxes full of painted models from a guy in our street - the usual story I am sure his wife made him throw them out, and I was the lucky recipient! That was back when I was happy to just stick em together... He also gave me two fabulous books on Ww2 planes, the pages were roughly a3 size and each plane was a double page spread, info and photos one side, and a technical drawing, side, top and bottom on the other - pure magical gold for a young boy...

OK. just one more.
I was an Air Force brat and occasionally I'd go with my dad out to the flight line.
I got to see this bad boy up close and personal. Thought it was the most amazing thing.
No points for ID'ing it, but you know you'll look it up. :D
0597204.jpg
Small world, I am an air force brat too. That would be an F-102. Your dad was in ADC? My dad flew the Hun and the F-111.

Barry aka HOA_KSOP

Back