Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Considering starting a WW2 campaign

Hey guys. You know, there is one big, single task that needs to be done to get this project off the ground, if there is still interest.
It is time consuming, but could be done over several weeks.

@Panzer_Kraut might be able to help with this?

It is organizing a list of all existing usable maps that could be used for the campaign.
The sources for maps are: in-game quick battle and scenario maps, plus all user made ones on the battlefront website, green as jade, the scenario depot and the likes.

Here is what I was planning to do...
I was going to find as many user-made maps as I could and download them all to a temporary folder.
Create another folder for storing copies of maps we could use. Perhaps create sub-folders in there, with categories such as open woods rural town city etc.

Then I was going to go through all the stock maps within CMRT and all the downloaded ones, one by one, in the scenario editor.
If they were smaller than 1km x 1km, then they are probably of no use. If big enough, I would examine them briefly in the 3D preview in the scenario editor, to see if they looked good enough.
For any that looked good, I'd save a copy to an appropriate sub-folder as mentioned above.
Once all that was done, I'd open any really big ones, and create copies, cut down to about 1km x 1km. For big maps, it might be possible to make 3 or 4 maps out of them by clipping and saving copies.

Once that was done, I was considering categorizing them within their sub-folders by renaming the files.
Several ways to do it. Could just be a very brief text description of the terrain (eg. "mostly open rural with farm houses" or "medium sized town and woods and plains").

Then I would create a list of all the maps we have. Could be just a text list, or even be in a spreadsheet with a little thumbnail.

Then we could see if we have enough maps or need some more.
If we have quite a few, we could post the results to the forum to help Rico create a strategy hex map for the campaign.

What do you think? Is this task something that anyone has the time and willpower to do?
This is the biggest hurdle of the entire venture, and if completed, would open the door to moving forward.

@Concord

I could give it a crack if you need. Im currently busy with some studies during the days, so my evenings are open to run with this if needed. Let me know if you want me to start this.

@Concord
@Rico

If your looking at doing the campaign while studying, I can still offer my pervious map idea of getting a master map extracted from "Gary Grigsby's War in the East" which Rico can use to make a master map for the eastern front OR a section of the map (Maybe centred around "Operation Bagration" Operational Area). Let me know if you want me to move forward with this.

@Panzer_Kraut thanks for the offer buddy.
Yeah, as outlined above, I think the main work involved is the battle maps.
If this could be sorted, the campaign could still fly. A decent number of players have expressed an interest in playing.
Once we have a list of suitable battle maps, we can go from there.

There is no deadline for this project, so if you are willing to chip away at it in quiet time, your help would be gratefully accepted.
Obviously your life and studies are first priority. :)

Awesome, thank you @Panzer_Kraut!
At least 1km x 1km or bigger. Other details are in the post you quoted (my post #60, 5 posts previous to this one).

Also, here are 2 massive 4kmx4km maps I did for kohlenklau's campaign. They could be chopped up for use.

Attachments

• BC_nyakleves.zip
    193.9 KB · Views: 4
  • MC_nyakleves.zip
    272.5 KB · Views: 4
@Concord

Howzit Bud.

I'm Done. I've gone through EVERY website on the net, and grabbed every Scenario & QB maps I could find related to RT. I then went through each map including the stock maps in the game itself and made a list of map names & their sizes. I also listed what the map is (Rough, Hills, Village, …….) from the scenario editor listing the map, but allot of the map simply refer to being "Open" or "Village". I had a look at them all and allot of the map clarifications are simply up to personal interpretation.

So you can take what I have and from there simply create sub folders and throw the maps into what ever folders you interpret the maps as being after viewing them. FYI, City maps are almost none existed as allot of the city map are very small and don't meet your criteria aswell as City maps. I've catalogued some maps where a part of the maps axis is 850m and up. The reason for this is that it gives us more maps and its easy to extend the map with some editing to get it to 1000m.

Further more, I tried to do some screen grabs for you, but for some reason, when I print screen, I keep loosing all the trees off the map. So I put that on hold to see what I could do about it later.

Then I tried to gain access to the campaign maps, but I cant open the campaign files in the editor. Any ideas how I can work around this to strip the maps out for our use?

If your happy with this result thus far, then I can zip the lot up and dropbox it to you?

Wow @Panzer_Kraut fast work, well done bud! You're a powerhouse. Thank you! :gitaro:

We probably won't need city maps anyway.
If you can post your list here on the forum, we can assess where to go from there.

One good thing is that if we have need for more open or semi-open maps, from my experience they are much easier and faster to create from scratch.
Roads, fields, light patches of woods, the odd farm here and there.

For all FGM guys...
1.) Does anyone have insights regarding whether we can access/use campaign maps?
2.) Are there any volunteers willing to contribute by creating a map if needed?

We may be able to use one of the strategic maps you were suggesting @Panzer_Kraut,
but I suspect that it may be better to use it as a basis for a custom map by @Rico, the map-artisan-beyond-compare. :)
That way, we can tailor the strategic map to pretty much match the number of battle maps we have.

I will soon be able to find some time to post a simplified/modified version of @Nathangun's excellent rule set here for review.

Scratch Badger73. I don't own CMRT. I will enjoy watching this with my FGM friends from the side gallery though . . .

180085_715a6012d20f6f0406dadbfdd298b21f.jpg
Good luck and good gaming! :shootero:​

@Concord

My pleasure, Its nothing fancy, but it atleast gets the wheels turning.

I've send a dropbox link, just accept the link and download the content. From there you can simply load the files, look at the maps and simply designate them to the appropriate folders. (Just give it 10min to complete the upload.....)

One good thing is that if we have need for more open or semi-open maps, from my experience they are much easier and faster to create from scratch.
Roads, fields, light patches of woods, the odd farm here and there.
Your in luck, 80% of the maps are already exactly what your mentioned above.

Are there any volunteers willing to contribute by creating a map if needed?
Ill be happy to throw my hat into the ring. I've never done a map before, but I've watches enough of ithikial's vids to have a good understanding......:sneaky:

We may be able to use one of the strategic maps you were suggesting @Panzer_Kraut,
but I suspect that it may be better to use it as a basis for a custom map by @Rico, the map-artisan-beyond-compare. :)
That way, we can tailor the strategic map to pretty much match the number of battle maps we have.
That's actually what I meant. Ill can grab a sectional part of the map, and you can send it off to Rico. Then he can work his magic, and out comes a spectacular map. :cool:

Late reply, but i would love to get involved. I am planning on purchasing CMRT

Add me as interested. I don't have have RT but I enjoy the campaign aspect of CM that I would purchase it.

@Panzer_Kraut got it, thanks.

Updated list of FGM members interested.

Rico
mcmortison
Bulletpoint
rocketman
GDog
fabishd
Panzer_Freak
Nathangun
Gnarly
PhilM