Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Cool History Stuff

The last dogfights between WW2 piston-engine, propeller-driven airplanes were fought during the Soccer War between Honduras and El Salvador (1969). Honduran Corsair pilot Major Fernando Soto shot down two Salvadoran Corsairs and a Mustang in one single dogfight.

Full story:

1704269302507.png

1704269247734.png

1704269259322.png

1704269282713.png

The last dogfights between WW2 piston-engine, propeller-driven airplanes were fought during the Soccer War between Honduras and El Salvador (1969). Honduran Corsair pilot Major Fernando Soto shot down two Salvadoran Corsairs and a Mustang in one single dogfight.

Full story:

View attachment 30578

View attachment 30575

View attachment 30576

View attachment 30577
There's a great book on this war, which really did start after a football match. It's by the revered Polish journalist, Ryszard Kapuściński, 'The Soccer War'.

@Rico Thanks! I'm actually a bit of a coin collector, though mostly USA coins. The ancient coins are fascinating, however.

I think the oldest coin I have is a Spanish 8 Real from the 1700s, a shipwreck coin, also known as a "piece of eight" which you may have heard of from Hollywood pirate movies. :)

@Rico Thanks! I'm actually a bit of a coin collector, though mostly USA coins. The ancient coins are fascinating, however.

I think the oldest coin I have is a Spanish 8 Real from the 1700s, a shipwreck coin, also known as a "piece of eight" which you may have heard of from Hollywood pirate movies. :)
That's interesting. Any chance of a photo?

That's interesting. Any chance of a photo?

Sure, why not? I enjoy show & tell. Hardly anything groundbreaking here.

Gentlemen, the 8 Real silver coin, aka "piece of eight". This was accepted far and wide throughout the known world when the United States of America was but a young nation and had not yet started minting it's own coins.

That is King Charles on the obverse. I believe these were also known as "pillar coins" due to the reverse.

8real1.jpg8real2.jpg

Oh, I heard about this. I'll read up on it later. was there some legal dispute about that shipwreck?
Thanks. I'll check it out. The piece of 8 is cool. Weird from our point of view that they thought 8 was a good number but I like it.

Oh, I heard about this. I'll read up on it later. was there some legal dispute about that shipwreck?
Thanks. I'll check it out. The piece of 8 is cool. Weird from our point of view that they thought 8 was a good number but I like it.

I don't know about the legal dispute thing. From what I understand, which, admittedly isn't much, salvage rights would apply.

As for the 8 Real, or "piece of eight" this might shed some light:

That is pretty neat... there is an antique book dealer in the wee village of Ballater near the Royal family's haunt of Balmoral. I had ordered a 1st Edition of Normandy to the Baltic by Field Marshal Montgomery that still had its 46 maps and 3 Diagram sheets in pristine order. Not bad considering it was printed in 1946. Anyway.. while picking it up I got my hands on a book that was printed in 1625 that they let me have a flick through... it was amazingly made although it was all a bit too fire and brimstone for my liking... oh and it cost the guts of £600. :)

That is pretty neat... there is an antique book dealer in the wee village of Ballater near the Royal family's haunt of Balmoral. I had ordered a 1st Edition of Normandy to the Baltic by Field Marshal Montgomery that still had its 46 maps and 3 Diagram sheets in pristine order. Not bad considering it was printed in 1946. Anyway.. while picking it up I got my hands on a book that was printed in 1625 that they let me have a flick through... it was amazingly made although it was all a bit too fire and brimstone for my liking... oh and it cost the guts of £600. :)

I have a copy of that Montgomery book as well -- also with all the map sheets intact (not sure if it was a first edition) -- found it at a flea market about 25 years ago :)

Back