Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Final Blitzkrieg - messing about with campaign ideas

Frack me those are sexy @Rico . Setup a kickstarter for a new boardgame, and we'll all be pledging in no time! :cool:

Better yet, I reckon they'd look damn hot as signature line icons for our games: replace mine with:

View attachment 11537

;P

Except that all the visual material for the Bulge campaign idea is all pirated from other games (which I do all own having bought them) ... strictly for private, non-profit wargaming use, of course. :D

Over lunch time today I finished working up the base American OOB of divisions, cavalry groups and the strung out regiments of the 28th US Inf Div.
There are less units than the Germans, but are usually larger, esp. the infantry divisions that were basically the equivalent of PzGrenadier divisions with their attached Tank and Tank Destroyer Btn's.
Also more mobile than their German counterparts.

US tank divisions are smaller than German divisions -- with many more tanks and vehicles, but usually quite a bit less infantry.

As with the German OOB -- I will still add in HQ units which will provide heavier arty support -- just how much artillery to give the yanks without killing off the CM battles is a good question.

Bulge-Campaign-US-OOB.jpg~original

Excellent work.... however I want to put something to you.

The FGM has numerous campaigns tournaments on the go on a regular basis. Your ideas seem to be the ones that frequently end.... whereas some others disappear due to lack of interest.

I would like to put together a definitive FGM rule base that all campaigns are based on... based on your system.... do you think we could do that.

Excellent work.... however I want to put something to you.

The FGM has numerous campaigns tournaments on the go on a regular basis. Your ideas seem to be the ones that frequently end.... whereas some others disappear due to lack of interest.

I would like to put together a definitive FGM rule base that all campaigns are based on... based on your system.... do you think we could do that.

That could be a possibility ... let me think about it ... there are many variations on these campaigns, but I think I've taken the "relatively quick and end in sight" lessons on board over the years -- as even I can get bored with a camnpaign that drags on too long. :D

@Rico Nice work. Please put me down for this when it gets rolling.
@Bootie Is there any way you could set up a email list for FGMers that are old timers and who always try to participate in tourneys? I try to log in on a regular basis but in the past year or so I have had a lot of RL thinks pop up and sometimes find it hard to log in on a real regular basis and might go a coupe of weeks with a log in. There have been a couple of Tourneys I have missed and an email would have helped. Just a thought.

I'm down for this campaign i will keep my eye on this!

@Rico Nice work. Please put me down for this when it gets rolling.
@Bootie Is there any way you could set up a email list for FGMers that are old timers and who always try to participate in tourneys? I try to log in on a regular basis but in the past year or so I have had a lot of RL thinks pop up and sometimes find it hard to log in on a real regular basis and might go a coupe of weeks with a log in. There have been a couple of Tourneys I have missed and an email would have helped. Just a thought.

Thats our hook.... visit often miss nothing. ;)

I am very keen to see my little battles be part of something bigger than just, well, little isolated one-off battles. :kilroy:

I'll be watching @Rico's efforts both here on FB and the BS one (though I am guessing the FB will come to fruition quicker, with a larger player base)?

Over last few days have managed to figure out all the OOB's of the US reinforced company-sized "mini-divisions" that will represent the full size units ... seems they varied a LOT in quality from newly arrived green formations to veterans like 1st Infantry Division -- and also in terms of what Tank or TD assets were attached -- and headcount strength as there were a few divisions thrown into battle quite understrength after the Huertgen and Matz battles.
Same will apply with German OOB's ... so there'll be quite a variety in kit to play with.

Basic US Infantry division looks like this:

1x Rifle Company
1x AT gun platoon - (3x 57mm AT guns & vehicles)
3x medium mortars (on map)
1x FO team
1x M8 armored car
1x MG Jeep

To this can can be added tanks or tank destroyers as attached to the divisions.
1 M5 light tank & 2 Shermans will represent an Independent Tank Btn
2 or 3 TD's (ie: M-10, Hellcats and/or M-36 Jacksons ) will represent a SP Tank Destroyer Btn,
2x 76mm ST guns will represent an attached towed TD Btn.

Heavier artillery support assets such as 105 howitzers and heavy mortars will come from" Corps HQ's" -- due to small scale of battles, too much heavy artillery will not be a good idea.

Basic US Armored Division looks like this:

1x Armored Inf Company
(includes a anti-tank pltn of 3x 57mm ATG's)
Mortar platoon: 3x mortar halftracks
3x M8 armored cars
3x M5 light tanks
6x Shermans (mixed)
2x Tank Destroyers
1x AA halftrack

Next -- working out all the varied German OOB's ... should be fun.

Back