Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Greetings from lead of Burden of Command Team

Good feedback @meatgrinder, @Badger73, @mTk. It will be interesting to see what the overall sentiment is one the glorious day when we can start making DLC decisions.

Sorry Luke, I am late to the discussion but have read the Wargamer interview and watched the trailer and came to the conclusion that there are physical victories (capturing ground, holding ground, and destroying tanks,etc) but there are moral victories as well , just like you pointed out. As you expand the game and you choose direction I think you need to consider nationalities as the DLC vehicle. it would take a freaking load of research, but the moral victory to a US leader may be a moral defeat to a German SS leader. Let me give an example. German units feared being opposite Polish units. Why? Because the Poles had a long laundry list of grievances that allowed them the "moral" pass to kill every German outright even if they surrendered and the Germans knew it. Considering that Poland was and is a pretty religious country how could you come up with "victory" conditions for that mindset...or the samurai/bushido background of a Japanese unit leader. If you could model all that with DLC's it would put a nationalistic spin on the whole war through each nation's small unit leadership. Just food for thought.

HOA_KSOP aka ksbearski aka Barry

@HOA_KSOP. Wow, excellent thinking. Totally with you and the writers would be too. Too much depth for this pass but our next round we should get more in this mindset. Going to post your commentary in our internal team forums. We are trying to get the US mindset going in the narrative side but mechanically I will not be doing much this round to model mechanically the national differences (e.g. victory conditions). Great thought though.

On a different note. I need advice from a few good men ;-) For playtesting we will eventually have internal playtester forums. I am keen to have those forums be constructive rather than flamewars. Now I can act punitively when necessary but would much rather establish an early positive tone and culture so that I never need to (ideally). You guys clearly did this. Advice on how? I was thinking some upfront short pledge/commitment to gentlemanly constructive behavior or something. Was that done here? I was kind of in a rush when I first signed up so probably have forgotten. But advise really welcomed. Especially concrete examples likes standard blurbs you give to new members, rules of behavior you enforce, etc. I want to imitate your culture! @Bootie and @Hedgehog and other Brass would particularly be interested in commentary from.
Thank you.
Luke

On a different note. I need advice from a few good men ;-) For playtesting we will eventually have internal playtester forums. I am keen to have those forums be constructive rather than flamewars. Now I can act punitively when necessary but would much rather establish an early positive tone and culture so that I never need to (ideally). You guys clearly did this. Advice on how? I was thinking some upfront short pledge/commitment to gentlemanly constructive behavior or something. Was that done here? I was kind of in a rush when I first signed up so probably have forgotten. But advise really welcomed. Especially concrete examples likes standard blurbs you give to new members, rules of behavior you enforce, etc. I want to imitate your culture! @Bootie and @Hedgehog and other Brass would particularly be interested in commentary from.
Thank you.
Luke

@Luke Hughes, send a PM to @Bootie and talk about this. The culture you admire results from several years of deliberate time and effort. The short, quick, and easy solution is that you let FGM host such a forum for you. I suspect a contract with FGM through Shane might be more cost effective than standing something up yourself. We can police ourselves and you officially maintain distance from trolls and flamers. FGM can round up the usual suspects! This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. ;)

Last edited:
@HOA_KSOP. Wow, excellent thinking. Totally with you and the writers would be too. Too much depth for this pass but our next round we should get more in this mindset. Going to post your commentary in our internal team forums. We are trying to get the US mindset going in the narrative side but mechanically I will not be doing much this round to model mechanically the national differences (e.g. victory conditions). Great thought though.
Glad to comment, I love the whole premise of what you are doing plus you have Mad Russian on your team, whom I have a great deal of respect for. His CM battles, his work on Panzer Command Ostfront and Flashpoint Campsigns is exemplary, so your simulation will be great if Mr. Overtonhas anything to say about it.

Anyway, the whole concept of nationalities would have to involve each countries social situation, educational system, propaganda and military training doctrines. Throw in other external factors like religion and internal security apparatus and the permutations are endless. It is deep stuff indeed. I agree with the others, contract FGM for your alpha/beta testing, because Shane is wonderful at policing, right Bootie?

Only for you @meatgrinder ;) I am probably blowing the seriousness vibe for Burden of Command, but I would love to do a furure DLC in the spirit of Kelly's Heroes or Dirty Dozen :cool: would you guys like to see a Hollywood movie pack?

I'm with @HOA_KSOP which is why I think a Kelly's Heroes & Dirty Dozen DLC proposal prostitutes the concepts behind and capabilities of BoC.

My God what have I unleashed ... what dark comic fantasies lurk within...

;-)

My God what have I unleashed ... what dark comic fantasies lurk within...

;-)
Well Luke, with this lot you never know what you are going to get, but you won't get religion or politics. It's verboten.

I am looking forward to the game. I have "This War if Mine" and it is thought provoking. I also have Decisive Campsigns Barbarossa and I like that whole interrelationship thing. So if you add to that with your approach this will be special.

Last edited:
Hey @HOA_KSOP as you may or may not be aware TWoM is one of our inspirations. And Cameron Harris, designer of DCB is a friend of the project and eventual playtester. He's super smart and really broke the ground on leadership and wargames so we pay a lot of attention to him.

Luke

Hey @HOA_KSOP as you may or may not be aware TWoM is one of our inspirations. And Cameron Harris, designer of DCB is a friend of the project and eventual playtester. He's super smart and really broke the ground on leadership and wargames so we pay a lot of attention to him.

Luke
I was kind of hoping Cameron would work with Viktor on another DC game. DCB is really cool and the whole "managing relationships via command decisions" is genius. And yes, I know your team is inspired by TWoM, as well you should be. It's an educational experience, very enlightening, a great perspective on the cost of war and how it effects "everyone". And I noted that you have read Sledge's book. I just did this year and it was a real eye opener for me. Another one that you might want to consult is by a veteran named Nate Frankel. "Patton's best: An informal history of the 4th Armored Division" is a real eye opener on US soldier conduct during the 4th Armored drive across France. That book will give you some grist for the mill as far as soldierly "conduct"...

Back