Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hard West

Done! Worth every penny.
I'm sure I missed a lot of stuff, but chose not to spend time trying to find a walk through and reading about every detail. Something to be said for that nowadays.
I also bought the DLC for $3 and found it to be more challenging than the original game. There was one battle, The Quarry I think, where I lost 15 times before getting through it. Came close to hitting <delete>. LOL!
Hope they make some more.
Onward to M.A.X.

Damn you all to hell! Rave reviews that mention turn based tactical and Xcom..

I'm a sucker...

And it was only US$9.60 including the DLC! Bargain

Oh, my! Am I having fun with this or what?

I am enjoying the game!

;D

So, reading the user manual over lunch at work. Specifically luck and combat:

"As stated before luck is one of the three fundamental attributes of characters in Hard West. Above all it is a layer of protection. In Hard West’s combat there is no randomness, instead, the target’s luck is reduced by the shooter’s chance to hit and only if the target’s luck hits zero the character is hit":

Makes sense. But I know for a fact, say in the first mission (defend the homestead), that I've killed a number of Bandits with the first shot, with say 67% chance to hit. In say XCOM, that makes sense; I had the equivalent of rolling 1-4 on a 6 sided die, and dealt say 4 damage (they only had 3HP).

But in HW, according to the above (and assuming they start with 100% luck?) I should have reduced their luck to say 33/100, and therefore no damage with that first shot?

Confused?

I started playing this and one thing is bothering me. Why do my characters never seem to take reaction shots, even if I end the turn without doing anything? It has been a basic strategy in turn based combat games like this to leave "action points" so that your characters can take opportunity fire at enemies that move into your field of view. This never seems to happen in Hard West. Am I missing something?

Nope. Since my previous post I watched a review on YT and it clearly stated there is no opportunity fire (for players.....the AI seems to take advantage of it, at least at close range). Perhaps you played an earlier version?

Anyway, I'm going to continue on. The new combat model encourages more movement and less "hunkering".

Back