Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Stumbling onto parade ground with boots unpolished

Sorry @Shorker

"One's Man" is how the upper classes would refer to their personal servants. So one would get a member of your household staff to polish shoes.

In addition there is/was a military tradition where officers would have access to a soldier to carry out personal services - Fnarrrrr :)(No NOT that type of personal service - sheesh) , in theorey/practice this was to allow the officer to concentrate on their proper role.

Aaah, so easy! :rolleyes: Got it now! (y) It was the same here in the German military, not sure if it still is today as we now have a lot of political correctness, "meetoo" and suitable tanks for pregnants etc. :p:D;) Thanks for your effort @Zinzan ! (y)

Excellent my teaching was a success - no comments on the political correctness from me :)
Aaah, so easy! :rolleyes: Got it now! (y) It was the same here in the German military, not sure if it still is today as we now have a lot of political correctness, "meetoo" and suitable tanks for pregnants etc. :p:D;)
OK I lied - quick memory, when female sailors joined the Navy there was discussion at training establishments on how to refer to them. We ended up with convex and concave trainees, collectively known as pondscum, a waste of a uniform etc....

I exist to serve oh Honourable one :)
Thanks for your effort @Zinzan ! (y)
(Do NOT enourage him, please - he's arrogant enough as it is.)

Thanks for all your nice comments. And the instructional video. I suspect I would be the type of soldier described by Spike Milligan or George Macdonald Fraser (in his two semiautobiographical books about his time in the army): a total shambolic mess. I think the funniest is called The General Danced at Dawn about GMF's postwar service. There's a brilliant bit IIRC where Fraser, a young Lt., gets a total waster called "The Worst Soldier in the British Army" off a courtmartial by sort of using Lawyer-judo on the court and upending their procedures. (GMF has become fond of the bloke***, who's had a terrible upbringing, and realises he wouldn't survive outside of the institutional framework of the army).

I'm hard at work modding buildings for CM. You can download the first effort here (a whitewashed barn) Whitewashed Barn Mod I hope someone finds it useful.

***not in that way - I am sorry we have to put these disclaimers in nowadays.

Back