Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Soundtrack to my Tour of Duty

I'm glad you like it. I have to be careful when I come to this thread, as I can get lost in my personal time machine.

Country Joe & the Fish-Fixin to Die Rag

While this version was made at Woodstock, it was originally made

Last edited:
Jody, while watching your YouTube videos (in this great thread) I found this documentary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

Did you see it already?

I don't know why they don't mention that it all started with the French and why they don't explain that
the "USS Maddox Incident" was a fraud false pretenses - but nevertheless it is an emotionally moving documentary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of_Tonkin_incident

I need a short break now (dinner time here already) but I will watch part 2 this evening subsequently.

I am well aware of the controversial aspects of our entrance into the affairs of the Vietnamese people. However, I enlisted in 1968 , after the start of the 1st Tet Offensive. As a young, naive man, my reason for enlisting was more of a patriotic response to the call for men to assist those under fire in that offensive, than for political reasons. It was only after getting to Vietnam and experiencing the ridiculous rules of engagement we operated under, that I started to question what we were doing there. I came home and marched in the streets to end the senseless death and destruction.

That is why, when the call went out to engage in the war in Iraq, I did not blindly believe what my govt was saying. I guess you could say I had learned my lesson. As it was apparent that we were at it again, and I once more took to the streets to point out that it was another mistake.

Oh, I'm sorry if I "pushed a button" somehow - that was not my intention. I just mentioned these two aspects that I missed in this documentary
but it was only meant as a subordinate clause/side note.

No, my idea was just to bring this to your attention (and for other FGMs) in case you haven't seen it yet - it seem's to be very good with all the
veterans reporting/speaking. (But that's only MY impression - I'm an outsider and wasn't there).

Relax Shork, I took no offense. I just have very strong feelings when I reflect upon my govt's lieing, especially when patriots wind up in harms way because of it. And as you will learn, I don't hold my opinions back very well.

Roger that! :cool:

...and I fully understand your position and anger.

Back