Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Vietnam War

Sunset on FB Argonne
The haze is a result of the daylong pounding of suspected enemy positions to the west.
Soon darkness shall take our vision and leave us blind to the NVA's actions. Thank goodness for 'Puff' & 'Basketball', they will orbit above us until dawn, turning the feared night to a shadow filled day.

Leatherneck Corner.2.png
This is 'Leatherneck Corner', circa March 1969
Elliott Combat Base was more commonly called 'The Rockpile' and Vandergrift Combat Base was called 'LZ Stud'
For perspective, Khe Sanh lies at bottom left of this map under map label

To read more details about 'Operation Purple Martin', I recommend this link to a downloadable pdf document that tells the story from the big picture perspective.
http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/U.S. Marines in Vietnam High Mobility and Standown 1969 PCN 19000310300_2.pdf

Attachments

• sunset in Laos.png
    sunset in Laos.png
    405.5 KB · Views: 45
The Epitath...
Two weeks after landing on FB Argonne, we demo'd the carcass of the wrecked Huey, and headed north for the DMZ and the conclusion of 'Operation Purple Martin'. Leaving the hard won FB was difficult for me to understand, and my visceral reaction, was one of anger and frustration. We had earned that FB in my eyes, and I hated the thought of allowing the NVA to return. In some ways, I have never left that hill, and probably never will.
This was my first time in the 'bush' with the whole company, and when they finally choppered us to the rear for some much needed 'In Country R&R' at Cua Viet Beach, I had logged 68 days in the 'bush'. Within 2 weeks I had volunteered to train up to be the Company Facman, and another chapter in my 'Tour of Duty' began.

Very impressive report (and pictures), Facman. I'm glad that you survived the war. It's an honour for me to "meet" you here.

This is a topo of the area around 'Elliott Combat base' aka 'The Rockpile' due to the nearby geographical feature from which the name comes. It is that hill that looks like a thumbprint in the middle of the map. As you can see, it was a very steep and prominent terrain feature that was quite beautiful in it's own right. The only troops that ever climbed the Rockpile were Recon patrols. It was populated by Rock Apes which were abundant in this area. Which attracted Tigers, and as you can well imagine, they did approach and on one occasion get inside the wire while we were the garrison force for OP Ben, which overlooked Elliott CB.
Rockpile and Elliott CB.png

This is a topo of Vandergrif CB aka LZ Stud. This was our forward rear area (Main Rear was in Quang Tri City)
Vandergrif CB aka LZ Stud.png

As can be seen from the topos, the terrain in this part of Vietnam was mountainous. While not as tall as many in the world, when you have 60+ pounds on your back, they might as well be the Alps. Our typical patrol routine was to never stay in a drainages at night, if at all possible. So we were always 'Crowning the Peaks' as we moved about the AO.

This pic is from chopper taking me to Hill 950 for my temp assignment there.

This is same chopper on upper, Hill 950 LZ right after I had landed.

Attachments

• Huey cockpit.png
    Huey cockpit.png
    888.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Huey on upper LZ Hill 950.png
    Huey on upper LZ Hill 950.png
    741.3 KB · Views: 27

USMC M48 tanks patrolling perimeter of Vandergrift CB (LZ Stud)

Attachments

• Marine M48s patrolling perimeter at LZ Stud.png
    Marine M48s patrolling perimeter at LZ Stud.png
    905 KB · Views: 73

M48 at VCB.
Sorry for the staining, but it is a result of the humidity in Vietnam, as I did not change my film very often.
Side note: In the background you can see a hill covered in 'Elephant Grass'. You can't tell from the pic, but it could be as tall as 10 feet. And to walk through it on a hot still day was like being in Purgatory, as it is terribly humid in there.

Attachments

• USMC M48 LZ Stud.png
    USMC M48 LZ Stud.png
    708.1 KB · Views: 69
You are most welcome Cargol!

This 122mm rocket landed just outside the 'sick bay bunker' killing the jeep.
It was in this barrage, that one rocket landed just outside our tent and the only one injured was Mike Knowland, he took a piece of shrapnel in the cheek that knocked out 2 of his teeth. I was sitting on my cot about 15 feet from Mike when it hit.

Pic taken while we were stationed on the 'Rock' (Okinawa)
(L to R) 'Espi' Espinoza, Moses Henry, Mike Knowland. On Mike's right cheek you can see the scar from the shrapnel.

Attachments

• 122mm Rocket crater with jeep casualty.png
    122mm Rocket crater with jeep casualty.png
    798.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Buds2.jpg
    Buds2.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 18

In the 'Bush' west of the Rockpile. This particular area was mostly Elephant Grass, and as can be seen by it's shortness (usually it's taller than a man) it must have been burnt down recently. We would on occasion fire WP into it for just that purpose, especially around firebases. Surprisingly, Elephant Grass burned readily, even in this moist and humid environment. On one occasion (4th of July 1969), we were setting up for the night on an EG covered hill, when one of the 'Boots' (green guy, just in country) knocked his little c-ration stove over, the heat tab ignited the EG and in no time the entire Company was running from a raging fire. We wound up setting up on a hill a bit farther upwind.
theVietnamstove.jpg
Here's a pic of how we heated our c-rations, heat tab was dropped in the lower vented c-ration can and ignited. I call this pic, 'The Kitchen'.

Attachments

• In the bush west of the Rockpile.png
    In the bush west of the Rockpile.png
    732 KB · Views: 64
Great pics bro! It is beter to see them "first hand" then on the tv with a fake story.

UH-1 inbound to my LZ in the 'Bush', carrying some brass (both Bn & Regt Commanders).
In the bottom left corner you can see a bit of smoke from the smoke grenade I threw, used to identify our location to inbound pilots or Spotter planes.
Upon sighting & making radio contact with pilots, I would guide them to our position by advising them to fly in certain directions (using the clock designations, 3 oclock, 7 oclock, etc) until they spotted us, then to make sure it wasn't the enemy they were looking at, they would direct me to 'pop smoke'. I would not tell them what color I was popping so as to not give it away to any NVA that might be listening and might pop a smoke to lure the chopper into an ambush. The pilot would then identify what color (cherry (red), banana (yellow), grape (purple) etc.) I had deployed and I would confirm to him that yes that was us. The smoke also gave the pilot wind condition info for my LZ, that would determine his approach direction.

UH-1 on my LZ.
Typically the birds would not sit on my LZ for long, but in this case, he sat there until the brass was ready to go. The whole meeting took no more than 10-15 minutes.

My Company Commander Capt Green (far right) watches as Bn CO talks to arty FO. Regt CO (full bird Colonel) stands behind Bn CO talking to FO.
This was the only gathering of brass like this, that I observed in the field during my ToD.

Attachments

• UH-1 inbound.png
    UH-1 inbound.png
    610.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Brass UH-1.png
    Brass UH-1.png
    942.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Brass meeting in bush.png
    Brass meeting in bush.png
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 62

Another UH-1 on my LZ in the 'Bush'.

[note: The date stamps on my pics only reflect when they were developed, as I would hold the rolls until I had several to send home for developing. The square pics were taken with the ubiquitous 'Kodak Instamatic' of the day. The larger (3x5) pics were taken with a Nikon 35mm half frame camera that I bought when I went on R&R. The half frame camera allowed for 2 pics to be taken for each exposure, thereby doubling the exposures I got off each roll of film. An important feature since we couldn't just run down to the corner store for a new roll of film.]

Attachments

• UH-1 on my LZ in bush.png
    UH-1 on my LZ in bush.png
    807 KB · Views: 59
There were no restrictions imposed on what you were allowed to photograph?

None that I know of, but I was with a line infantry outfit, it may have been different in the rear. The brass above were quite aware that I was taking the pic as I had no zoom capability. And as can be seen from the pic, the whole world could see these guys.

The bush.png
As Facman, the weather at my LZ/location had great impact upon what kind of air support was available to us. In this pic you can see that I didn't have much of a ceiling to work with, but the little spec near the center left of the pic is an OV-10 running an airstrike for me.

OV-10 Airstrikes.png
In this pic you can see the billowing result of his 2.76 inch WP marking rockets. In this case he was hitting possible NVA positions. Had we any actual contact, the Ground support aircraft at our disposal would then hit the targets as directed by the OV-10, as his markers would not always be where he wanted the strike. I did not carry a radio that could access the bombers, therefore all my requests for airstrikes went through the FO aircraft (usually an OV-10).

OV-10 inbound to target.png
A closer shot of the OV-10 inbound.
I apologize for the quality, but it's the best I could do.

Here's some pics I dug up online, they are actual OV-10s from VMO6, the squadron that I usually worked with.
usmc_ov10a_vmo6.jpg
usmc_ov10a_vmo6_business end.jpg
The business end of an OV-10
The sponson just above the rocket pods contained 2, 7.62mm MGs for a total of 4 on the aircraft.

rockpile.jpg
The Rockpile FSB
Underneath the foliage, those steep hills are extremely rocky, with natural caves. Populated by Rock Apes, the NVA, and the occasional Tiger. While stationed near here at OP Ben, a perimeter support position for The Rockpile FSB, built by French, I experienced one of the most terrifying nights of my Tour of Duty. Now OP Ben had been built by the French, and from the pile of cans piled up outside the wire (thats where we would throw our discarded c-ration cans) it had been around for quite a long time. It seems that a Tiger had grown curious as to what was going on at our position and was heard rattling the cans in our ad hoc early warning system, outside the wire at several holes up the perimeter. As it stalked the perimeter, each successive hole let loose one round to scare it off, as it grew closer I took my M-16 off safe, eventually I heard him too, and as my mates in the next 3-4 holes over had done, fired one round downrange to convince the Tiger that I wasn't on the menu. I was the last to hear him and fire off a round, as the still of night once more took reign. Then about 10 minutes later we could hear the Gunny bellowing 'Tiger in the lines' and calling for each squad to send a man to the CP. I was dispatched by my squad leader and joined about 9 others in forming a Tiger shooing line. So with our bayonets clapping against the stocks of our rifles we walked through the knee high Elephant Grass in line, hoping to shoo the Tiger out of the wire. I never saw the Tiger that night, so we were successful.

th_TigerQuangTriJan1969.jpg
used with permission of Pop-a-Smoke.com
Upon my arrival in country, I heard the tale of a Marine squad ambush in the vicinity of FB ALpine, that was itself ambushed by a Tiger, carrying one Marine off into the jungle by his head. It wasn't until that night at OP Ben that I ever thought the story might be true. And it wasn't until about 10 years ago I came across this pic of the actual Tiger that the story was about. So I had good cause to be afraid that night, as it was a true tale.
So for those of you who live with Cats, be thankful for their size, because if they were bigger, they would eat you.

Back