Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

TTB - Artillery

Thanks @Valkatox Another great video. I was waiting for you call for fire from the Light Cruiser in the support panel. :D

From past experiments I observed that the Experience of the mortar/artillery teams affected FFE times and accuracy (in addition to the spotter’s Experience). So I was curious, was the experience level of your off map tubes the same as the on map tubes?

The scrolling information at the end of the video said larger and more distant artillery is more inaccurate. I understand, in general, that more distant tubes are more inaccurate. Why do we think the larger the tube/shell the more inaccurate? Could it be distance alone is causing the inaccuracies?

Thanks again for another great video.

Haha well I actually had footage of the light cruiser bombardment but it would have added a few more minutes onto the video and it didn't explain much more other than it wouldn't really be suited for a precision strike on a single target.
With the long call time (even with a TRP) and accuracy, etc.

Yep the off map fire support units were the same experience as on map.

And I meant that as in terms of the game the bigger guns tend to be less accurate (due to them being futher behind the lines = greater distance to target).
Such as a medium mortar (short distance) would be closer than a regimental howitzer battery a few miles behind the lines at a firebase (medium distance), which would be closer than a cruiser at sea (large distance) and so forth. As a mortar would have to be closer to the battle than the other two mentioned.

I don't think the shell sizes themselves would make the accuracy less. But as nice as it would be to have artillery guns right on the edge of the map, they would be placed much further away to firstly avoid any direct fighting (and have a chance to pack up quickly if the enemy broke through), and avoid being in range of enemy artillery for counter battery fire, etc, etc.

Thanks for the comment bud, I'm by no means an expert of course but I think that would be the explanation for the larger guns being less accurate. As I'm sure up close they would be as accurate as most other weapons.

Back