Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A new modern campaign?

2 more zone features done. That's 42 out of 64.

It's been 5 months since I started this, and I can feel my motivation now start to wear thin, even though it's only taking me a handful of hours per week.
It has been on my mind that even when I complete all the zone features, I will then need to do all the 'filler' terrain, which will be a lot of work.
I probably just need to step away from it for a while and refresh my interest. Remind me - why am I doing this again? :sneaky:
One thing's for sure, it will make running the planned MOUT campaign a breeze. All the hard work will be done.

I'm running out of good ideas for zone features too, and I need some inspiration from FGM players. Throw me a bone.
Here's the list of zone features in place as of now:

Military Base
Derelict Fort
Engineering Works
Airport / Airport (2 zones)
Prison
Telecom Station
Cemetery
Golf Club
Storage Units
Police Station
Shopping Mall
Bus Station
Convention Centre
Botanic Garden
Racecourse
Old Paper Mill
Hotel
Train Station
City Hall
Church
Bank
Rest Stop
School
Art Gallery
Hospital
University
Markets
Technology Park
Cultural Centre
Theatre
Fire Station
Television Studio
Quarry
Shopping Centre
Stadium
Water Treatment
Hilltop Estate
Monastery
Rail Depot
Power Station
Waste Dump

On my list of ideas:

Museum
Library
Manufacturing
Fancy Apartments
Distribution Centre

New ones this week:

Storage Units

That's looking like quite a complete list already, stay strong! It seems like a mammoth task, but the results are showing! :)
Some idea's (without thinking whether they'd be doable in CM):

* Large foodcourt
* Nightlife district
* Cab / taxi pickup area (near the nightlife district)
* Drive through Corona test street
* Petting zoo
* Parc with fishing pond
* "Main street" with some nice trees / well maintained shrubberies in the middle
* Rail crossings
* Highway viaduct
* large round about with a parc/statue in the middle
* Industrial zone
* Bridges over a river (not sure if you have a river)

Last update for the year. 2 more zone features; 44 out of 64 done. Only 20 zone features to go (it's taken 4 and a half months so far!). Then comes the filler terrain.

Museum
Very loosely based on the Acropolis Museum in Greece.

museum.jpg

Auto Factory
Loosely based on a Hyundai manufacturing plant in the Czech Republic.

auto factory.jpg

Last edited:
This week I completed 2 projects.
A new zone feature that fills most of its zone, and a re-do of another, which also now fills most of its zone.

Rail Depot
On the southern edge of the map, this was previously just the buildings seen on the right. I have expanded on it and it now fills most of the zone.
There are buildings in the center with no windows or doors that represent stacked shipping containers.

rail depot.jpg

Ceramic Factory
Also on the southern edge, this was based on a real one in the Czech Republic.

ceramic factory.jpg

45 out of 64 done. Ugh.

Only had time for 1 zone feature this week.
That's 46 out of 64 completed.

Car Dealership
Loosely based on a photo of a dealership in Miami Florida.

auto dealership.jpg

The overall map has come a long way.
Struggling to stay motivated, but I want to see it through to the end.

View looking north

north.jpg

View looking south

south.jpg

BROOOOOOOOOOOOO THIS IS SO COOL! Seriously though you gotta keep this going, this is the coolest thing I've ever seen being made

Bizarre. Been an extremely busy week.
And yet I got an astounding amount done with work, home renovations and hobbies!

Another 3 zone features. That's 51 out of 64. Getting there.

Avionics Factory
North, next to the airport.

Avionics Factory.jpg

Farm
Yep.

Farm.jpg

Poultry Farm
Next to the...farm. Scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas now.

poultry farm.jpg

What about the residantial area of your town? After in large town you can have "sector" which are the same, old Town have for example many church and not just one. Or one cathedral and many churchs(look Paris for example), different palace, shipmalls everywhere etc etc, everything do not need to be unique :)

I see you have an old fort, already, but what about a proper castle, something a la El Morro in San Juan?
shutterstock-1704281335.jpg

If you're short on ideas then it may be helpful to think about the history of the city in general, esp. since European cities have been around so long. You could have an Old Town, maybe, where the city has limited development to preserve its history. It could even be multiple sectors large, allowing you to have multiple map features and have a "region" of the city that looks more like a WW2 map, which then blends into the more modern area around it. Another idea could be a Skyscraper, or the construction site of one since I doubt anyone wants to deal with a 50 floor building—if that's even possible in CMx2. My other suggestions would be a Hotel, an old Palace—maybe with a hedgerow maze?—or a Bomb Site. Maybe the conflict was sparked by a terrorist attack and the wound is still fresh? What about a Tent City where the homeless congregate, or an open-air Market/Bazaar? Also personally I would consider the lack of a feature to be a feature. "Empty" ground is important I think, and it would be cool imo if the city had suburbs where it was mostly rows of houses or small stores, or urban slums that have little features of note. A map where every tile has a landmark somewhat devalues the landmarks imo. And just think of the work it would save!

On Covid lockdown this week in Western Australia.
Got 3 more zone features done, and even a fair amount of 'filler' connecting terrain.

Many zones are starting to merge together, creating the beginnings of what will be one continuous map.
I have left a series of single squares of marsh terrain along the edges of the map.
They will be my guides when it comes time to slice the map into 500m battle maps for the MOUT campaign.

54 central zone features done out of 64. Light at the end of the tunnel! What a project. o_O

Aluminium Smelter

aluminium smelter.jpg

Waste Incinerator

waste incinerator.jpg

Equestrian Center

equestrian center.jpg

P.S. Can you imagine what exquisite torture it would be, to add finishing details like park benches and trash cans to a map this size?
Street lights along every road?? SHUDDER. :oops: :)

Last edited:
Back