Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A new modern campaign?

As you wish, my good man.
I'm pleased that the Borscht campaign is stirring again, it's looking good.

This thread can be used as a melting pot for wild and chaotic brain storms for all.
I plan to keep posting the occasional update on my huge MOUT map here, and eventually I will start asking questions and posing solutions for the city campaign.

Once the MOUT map and concepts start to coalesce I will start a proper campaign area, but that is some time away. Months probably. I just need to keep chipping away at it.
I realize now that creating a 4x4 urban map is much more work intensive than a rural one. Figures. :sneaky:

The map can be used for the city areas of Borscht too.
When it's done I can post it here or...The Scenario Depot maybe? Wonder if my ancient password still works.

A few months gives me time to finish some outstanding PBEM games and clear the plate abit

@Lethaface awesome, thanks for your help! We can use them in the Borscht Wars.
The layout of the +/- buttons are logical (top/bottom, left/right), but don't need to cut them down yet.
Removing units/reinforcements/setup zones/VL's/mission text would be very helpful as well.

Currently, I am working on a small, regional airport:

Ok!

Haven't done much since extracting, will go for a short holiday trip tomorrow. Is there a place where I can see which maps you guys already have?

I was just browsing the FGM scenario space for CMBS maps. There is a master map which covers some scenario's (2&3) from the official Russian campaign, among other things. I'll start with a good looking map from one of the campaigns not already in master maps and post it here when finished.

Ok!

Haven't done much since extracting, will go for a short holiday trip tomorrow. Is there a place where I can see which maps you guys already have?

I was just browsing the FGM scenario space for CMBS maps. There is a master map which covers some scenario's (2&3) from the official Russian campaign, among other things. I'll start with a good looking map from one of the campaigns not already in master maps and post it here when finished.

Thanks -- I haven't really had a good look at the maps yet -- been focusing on game rules & concepts, map and counters so far.

I have 'cleared' the first mission in the Russian campaign off all things I know off. Actually found out how to set setup zones :D. The option was hiding among the buildings. It's 3km x 2km. Hilly terrain with some villages.

Attachments

• CrosDniep01-cleared.zip
    112.5 KB · Views: 1
Mission 2&3 are featured in the master map, it's a great map with some interesting building setups. Also could be the 'river assault' map for the Borscht wars? Amphibious assaults are possible :)

Mission 4 and 5 are smaller, but very complex terrain. They do have that Borscht feeling ;-)

If useful I can clear those too. That's all of that campaign.

cm black sea.exe Screenshot 2020.08.25 - 23.07.01.72.pngcm black sea.exe Screenshot 2020.08.25 - 23.06.16.68.png

Having looked all the maps among extracted campaigns, scenario's and QBs I think there are at least some 20+ large maps to be gathered. Forests, hills, open, towns, some urban / industrialized / military base, etc. Clearing one map isn't that much work.
However, I think some organization with names and maybe a pic of the map would be helpful. One for indicating the type of map (i.e. forest, town, etc) but also to prevent duplication.

How much maps of various types are needed?

When we assembled the maps for BB, I said to @Panzer_Kraut that we needed to gather everything we could find - as long as it was 1km+.

Then I did the process of sorting, discarding a few extremely bad stock maps along the way, and renaming everything.
The naming convention I used was open/woods/town, with a brief description (eg. WOODS dense some roads and farms good).
I put all the sorted, cropped and renamed ones into a folder.

By far the most needed were 'open' maps - and luckily these were the most common. :)

The Borscht maps would come in a few flavours.

OPEN: Farmland, partly wooded with small villages - mostly flat, undulating terrain

WOODED: As above, but with denser foliage

TOWNS -- probably mostly attacks into built up urban areas

CITY -- full on city maps like @Concord is building -- probably represents fight for a key features of a small city.

HILLS (open & wooded) -- rolling hills (not like CMFI hilly terrain)

All the above with RIVERS thrown in -- back story setting is that it's the height of a very dry summer, so all rivers are running low and lost of fording places available on most maps.

I wouldn't get too rigid about the maps used ... think of them representing a section of the larger terrain in a hex being used for the actual fighting.

Work's been an absolute bitch last couple weeks (projects delayed by Covid and Lockdowns are suddenly all urgent!) ... hoping to get some time this weekend to develop this a bit further.

Just a quick bit of advice needed from experienced CMBS players:

How do the Ukrainian and Russian tanks stack up against each other? Oplot vs T-90? Bulat vs T-72's? Done some testing, but confusingly mixed results.

Want to make all units Regular in campaign ... perhaps reserves Green in first encounter.

How do the Ukrainian and Russian tanks stack up against each other? Oplot vs T-90? Bulat vs T-72's? Done some testing, but confusingly mixed results.

The T-90 is definitely far superior to the Oplot (and I haven't used them properly for ages, but the Oplot was endeared with the endlessly rotating commander bug a few years back).

I am curious what UKR vs RUS tanks stack up better at the lower end (aka Bulat vs ??) too.... I love UKR vs RUS battles, but I've never invested the time to get the tank v tank aspect 'fair'

Good one guys.
I too have been busy, but found time to work on my map this afternoon for a little bit.
I will post another screen shot soon.

I need to learn more about how the 2 armies stack up, in order to balance the MOUT campaign as well.

You've got me interested again in this topic. This thread it pretty much what I recall of my Oplot experiences at least; they love firing ATGMs at inappropriate ranges, and then get smacked down by sabot rounds in return from the Ruskies....

And dated but still interesting stats from @Hapless of Rus vs UKR tanks

Very broad general rule for CMBS.

Ukraine < Russia <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< USA.

Russian equivilent tanks and equipment are that one increment better in spotting etc given latest Russian tech is installed. So a T-72 on the Ukrainian side will be at a slight disadvantage against a Russian T-72 all things being equal.

You've got me interested again in this topic. This thread it pretty much what I recall of my Oplot experiences at least; they love firing ATGMs at inappropriate ranges, and then get smacked down by sabot rounds in return from the Ruskies....
@Denis the Menace had such problem in our battle. They really didn't use AP shells against T-90 with it's dynamic armour.
Maybe this bug was fixed in last BS patch?..
(upd: NO!!!)
I don't remember how much they cost. Maybe there is a difference in points which neutralizes it?

Last edited:
RUS and UKR tanks are roughly equal in capabilities. The most numerous in the real armies would be the RUS T72B3 and the UKR T64 BV.

RUS T72B3 with some T90s (say 80-20?) and UKR Bulats with some Oplots (again 80-20) would be a good mix.

The real equalizer is APS, so it should be divided equally, i.e. 100% APS, no APS or a mix, both same for both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love playing Ukraine in quick battles
Mixed feelings on the Oplot honestly. On paper they should be roughly equivalent even in spotting since both are using the equivalent of the Catherine Thales thermal sytem. In practice it is a mixed bag and seems to come down to whoever has the better soft factors.
I have berated my poor pixel tankers equally as much as I bought them all vodka and a 3 day pass
I find the T72 variant in the game to be slightly superior to the Bulot in general
But the vanilla T64 is a nice cheaper option for mainly infantry support.

The real factor in UKR vs Russia tanks is the munitions involved..most of the time getting hit from a Russian sabot round means one dead tank but I have seen Ukr sabot fail to penetrate T90 out past certain distance and a T90 survive one or even two penetrating UKR sabot round before brewing up

I have had a lot of success with the Oplot, very good tank if properly handled. The only issue I have with the Oplot, but that is not game related is that apparently there are only 10 in service in the entire army, so they are very rare.

The T64 Bulat is a lot more numerous and also very good, but does not have APS, only the Oplot does.

Nice thing about RUS vs UKR is the WW2 feel, in the sense that no tank dominates like the M1 Abrams does. Whoever spots first will usually get the kill so yes, crew experience has a big impact.

Back