Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A new modern campaign?

Updating should be a simple, straight-forward task. It's got nothing to do with my (or anyone's) level of tech knowledge.
It's a matter of User Experience (UX) design. The instructions and the files should be crystal clear for a start. Especially regarding version numbers in sequence.
When you go to the download area, the instructions tell you how to change the default view so that you can read the file names!
Part of the problem was that there were several patch pages on the website.
Why was there a missing file in my game? Where can I get it from? Was a patch version missed? Which one?
Not a massive challenge, but confusing and not up to modern standards. "Ain't nobody got time for dat!"
Steam will make it a no-brainer, but Battlefront could do much better with their existing website/patching design.

@Lethaface thanks, that'd be awesome. Just a reminder, we need maps that are minimum 1km.

Last edited:
Well, the Town Planners are at work and the first concrete has been poured.

I started with a blank canvas of 4km x 4km. :oops:
I added a 'ruler' on the 2 edges and then added a grid of 500m to represent the hexes for the MOUT campaign.

With a fresh realization of what a mammoth task this is, I am chipping away at the project here and there.
It will take quite a while though and I don't want to push it over the line from fun hobby into chore.
ETA? Maybe several months. I will post regular updates of my progress in this thread, to maintain interest in the campaigns.

Aerial overview:

overview.jpg

Here is the CBD (Central Business District).

city center.jpg

A highway overpass:

highway bridge.jpg

The train station (with parking lot):

train station 1.jpg

train station 2.jpg

Rail bridge:

railway bridge.jpg

I would be interested to participate. I have both CMBS and CMSF2.

How cool would it be if there was interplay between the titles. How far out is it that Ukrainian militias were to be fighting Syrian Guards units? Might even be the most balanced of the counterparts in the modern series.

Updating should be a simple, straight-forward task. It's got nothing to do with my (or anyone's) level of tech knowledge.
It's a matter of User Experience (UX) design. The instructions and the files should be crystal clear for a start. Especially regarding version numbers in sequence.
When you go to the download area, the instructions tell you how to change the default view so that you can read the file names!
Part of the problem was that there were several patch pages on the website.
Why was there a missing file in my game? Where can I get it from? Was a patch version missed? Which one?
Not a massive challenge, but confusing and not up to modern standards. "Ain't nobody got time for dat!"
Steam will make it a no-brainer, but Battlefront could do much better with their existing website/patching design.

@Lethaface thanks, that'd be awesome. Just a reminder, we need maps that are minimum 1km.
1 square km? or is 600x1000 good for urban?

Edit to add: it seems most maps are much larger than 1x1km. Some are smaller in one axis, but usually they feature towns or other complex terrains.

Last edited:
How cool would it be if there was interplay between the titles. How far out is it that Ukrainian militias were to be fighting Syrian Guards units? Might even be the most balanced of the counterparts in the modern series.

NATO vs Russia? I need that in my life!

1 square km? or is 600x1000 good for urban?

Edit to add: it seems most maps are much larger than 1x1km. Some are smaller in one axis, but usually they feature towns or other complex terrains.

In my BB campaign, I compiled pre-made maps which were slightly smaller than 1km x 1km, if they were good ones.
When I deliberately chopped up big maps, I'd often keep them as big as say 1.2km x 1.2km, because elbow room isn't bad (especially the fairly open maps).

Rico was suggesting maps as big as 2km for modern distances, and for larger forces (more than a company - perhaps battalion).
I'm not sure Rico has specified yet what scale he was thinking of for The Borscht Wars.
@Rico what's the ideal sizes for The Borscht Wars?

As for my MOUT campaign, the 16 square km map I am building will supply all the battle maps in one.
Once it is complete, it can be chopped up into 500m x 500m for company sized battles.
In addition, the aerial view of the CMBS 16sqkn map will also become the campaign strategy map, with a hex grid over the top and counters to represent units.

In my BB campaign, I compiled pre-made maps which were slightly smaller than 1km x 1km, if they were good ones.
When I deliberately chopped up big maps, I'd often keep them as big as say 1.2km x 1.2km, because elbow room isn't bad (especially the fairly open maps).

Rico was suggesting maps as big as 2km for modern distances, and for larger forces (more than a company - perhaps battalion).
I'm not sure Rico has specified yet what scale he was thinking of for The Borscht Wars.

As for my MOUT campaign, the 16 square km map I am building will supply all the battle maps in one.
Once it is complete, it can be chopped up into 500m x 500m for company sized battles.
In addition, the aerial view of the CMBS 16sqkn map will also become the campaign strategy map, with a hex grid over the top and counters to represent units.

I was thinking reinforced company battles mainly ... increased map sizes to accommodate the increased deadly range of modern weaponry, especially in open farmland terrain - and the increased speed of vehicle movement.2
2x2 km probably minimum there - can be smaller with closed, denser terrain.

I was thinking reinforced company battles mainly ... increased map sizes to accommodate the increased deadly range of modern weaponry, especially in open farmland terrain - and the increased speed of vehicle movement.2
2x2 km probably minimum there - can be smaller with closed, denser terrain.

Space is nice with modern armored vehicles!

CM Black Sea 2020-08-19 16-25-18-39.jpg

Versus

highwayofdeath-jpg.16357

;D

Looking very nice @Concord !

There are doorway connections between most of the buildings.
The most killing part of CM map designing.

@Concord I'd propose to make doors on every side of every building (for simulation of a through-window infantry movement) if only we don't mean that the 1st floor's windows are closed with grilles or strenghten by the defenders.

Last edited:
The most killing part of CM map designing.

@Concord I'd propose to make doors on every side of every building (for simulation of a through-window infantry movements) if only we don't mean that the 1st floor's windows are closed with grilles or strenghten by the defenders.

Biggest flaw in CM urban maps: no cellars or basements.

Would there be Fog Of War? Maybe. I could add rules to govern air and ground recon perhaps.
Could scrap FOW entirely and assume all the modern recon tools are working at full capacity in an abstract way.

Good to assume all the modern recon tools are working at full capacity.

The other idea I'm still examining is a scaled down MOUT campaign.

MOUT Campaign, I might have missed that.

But in terms of both GM and player sanity, commitment and fun, err on KISS's side, particularly if your first foray into the modern battlefield perhaps?

Good idea.

A 30 turn battle with a company+ sized force might take 1-2 months, whereas I could see much larger (aka your 'Epic' scale) battles (even with similar time-limitations) slowing/bogging down, and possibly seeing a number of non-completions. Particularly with urban maps.

Or another way is to fight that battle over several campaign turns like in the Onion Wars or break down a battalion sized battle into several smaller battles using units from each battalion.

Also, I perceive (selfish view) that you will get more players if you sell your campaign as smaller quicker battles (e.g. the recent SF2 Field Warrior campaign.

SF2 Warrior Campaign? never heard of it.

When I joined the FGM forum at Nathangun's invitation years ago, it was to participate in his Bulge campaign.

What have I done! I created a monster. :p

I'm putting together the finishing touches for a counter insurgency campaign. It's half board game and half combat mission.

It's a mongrel version of several counter insurgency games such as Somalia Intervention, Colonial Twilight and Insurgency Inc.

Players will have to score VP's (victory points) off each other and will have to spend SP's (supply points) to do stuff.

What you can do will be determined by the Initiative Track.

UWQUiG3.jpg

As you can see from the picture above, the Initiative Track is designed specifically for 2-players and as such has incorporated a very unique method into its function. Each new round, let's say the insurgent player will start as the 1st Eligible, meaning that they will get the first choice of the actions they will take, until that it is, they take an action that causes them to lose the Initiative. First off, you will notice that the various spaces are color coded with the 1st and 2nd Eligible boxes. The light tan spaces are similar to the 1st Eligible box, while the darker gray spaces are aligned with the 2nd Eligible box.

For example, at the start of the turn the GM rolls for an event on the event table, he rolls a D20 and rolls a 15-Foreign Aid. 3 insurgent groups get a surplus of Recoilless Teams the insurgent player chooses to Play Event a marker is placed in the Play Event box and the NATO player can now only play either Execute Op & Special Activity or Pass as these two options are adjacent to Play Event box.

What operations and how.
In the 'Game Board' below there are two Columns one for the insurgents and another (I've yet to start the NATO one) NATO called Insurgent Activities and NATO Activities respectfully.
Only one operation type can be played per turn, let's say the insurgent player chooses Execute Op & Special Activity instead he may choose an operation (if he has the SP's to do it) and a Special Activity, please note some Special Activities can only be played with certain Operations.

usIoF9N.jpg

Basically NATO forces have to destroy the insurgency, build civic projects and train local militia.
The insurgents have to try and stop the NATO side from doing this.
VP's can be got by gaining/losing local support or inflicting casualties on NATO forces, building/destroying civic projects etc..

McIxXGx.jpg

The work continues, but I'm getting there. Oh all battles will be played in CM SF2.

SF2 Warrior Campaign? never heard of it.

@SlySniper organized it, it's more of a tournament than a campaign. I'm having quite some fun with it:

Interesting post BTW. Still processing the info ;-)

I extracted all the scenario's from all my campaigns. I've looked through 3 campaigns worth of them, and busy filtering the larger scenario's out. The smaller ones all have complex terrain (urbanized etc) though, so will probably be good enough for CMBS battle. I have never tried cutting up scenario's in the editor though, I think the plus and minus will have something to do with it but just never bothered. I assume it will also be good if the maps are cleared of units, objectives, etc?
This will take some more time, not sure how much time per map even. But I'm happy to put some work in when I can. It seems you have enough work on your hands, but if anyone wants to have a look a the extracted campaigns I can post in dropbox.

What have I done! I created a monster. :p
Campaign sounds interesting @Nathangun!

@Lethaface awesome, thanks for your help! We can use them in the Borscht Wars.
The layout of the +/- buttons are logical (top/bottom, left/right), but don't need to cut them down yet.
Removing units/reinforcements/setup zones/VL's/mission text would be very helpful as well.

Currently, I am working on a small, regional airport:

airport 1.jpg

airport 2.jpg

airport 3.jpg

airport example.jpg

Back