Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A new modern campaign?

I had thoughts during insomnia...
Just write it for a case if someone will decide that organizing a campaign with only two sides is too simple and boring.

Alternative reality, 2008: Syrian civil war is going on. NATO forces intervened for taking control of syrian oil fields and not to allow them to be occupied by jihadist groups supported by Turkey and Saudi Arabia. Syrian forces try to prevent. Everyone wants a little piece of Syria...

In this campaign participants could posess oil fields, trade oil, exchange goods, conclude armistices and traitorously break them. Jihadist could excite rebellions in cities and towns and surprisingly attack syrian and NATO garrisons there.
Yes, I know that there might be even 7 sides in SF (with all modules), but it would be too much... but wait!

Alternative reality, 2008: Syrian civil war is going on. After dividing of NATO, North-American Council of Defence and European Defencive League intervened for taking control of syrian oil fields...

(inspired by playing Shock Force after purchasing it)

I have run into those who cant grasp the concept that Black Sea is only broadly related actual events.
I have no problem with anyone taking more Oplots then the Ukrainians possess or taking T90AMs and BMP3Ms..it is basically a 'what if ' game just like Shock Force

You can theorize all you like about reasons why you have two twenty or two thousand sides in a fictional campaign. Your reasoning can be completely unrelated to current geopolitical realities.
Hell the houses at Hogwarts become militarized and are represented by WW2 armies for example
Or alien tech on the planet Buttocks ( in a galaxy not too far away) have developed tanks and APC

Some more recent behind the scenes dev work on the BORSCHT campaign.

Decided to enlarge the strategic map hexes to give more room for the counters...

sample new hexes.jpg

Sample shot above ... the Kurgan Army's Red Star Mech Inf Btn deployed in defence along the southern border hills, taking over positions from the Border Guard companies.
Mortar and artillery batteries deployed in rear (arty could be one hex further back) -- (the Btn is equipped with 9 or 10 T-72B3 tanks and 3 BMP-2 Mech infantry companies)
A pair each of Hind attack helicopters in support of the flanking companies, while the man portable air defence (MANPAD) and grenade launcher platoons support the centre company.

Advancing from the direction of the town of Kubayev, the Chomsk Army's 101 Battalion (Tank) -- equipped with T-84 Oplot tanks and BMP-2's. (30 tanks and 3 platoons of BMP infantry)
A air defence platoon of Tunguska launchers is in support. The MANPAD platoon is up with the leading company, the ATGM platoon in reserve with the Btn HQ at Kubayev.

The 1st and 2nd Chomsk National Guard border battalions are still in position at the main border crossing points.

Sunday morning here. Chores done. Coffee. Map tinkering.

Rail depot

z rail depot.jpg

City Church

z city church.jpg

Art Museum

z art museum.jpg

City Hall

z city hall.jpg

Overview

As you can see, the map is still pretty empty looking. But it's a long way from a blank canvas.
The grid you can see is spaced at 500m, which will be the size of the hexes and the battles (for my planned MOUT campaign - Rico's may be different).

My goal is to add at least one special map feature to each grid section.
Eventually when every grid feature is done, it will be easier to join it all up with 'fillers'.
Jumping from grid to grid keeps things interesting while creating such a massive map.

Looking North

z looking north.jpg

Looking South

z looking south.jpg

It's Monday during a long weekend here. This afternoon I did some more on the map. Opposite, northwest corner this time.

I realise that these corner 'hexes' may never see combat in my campaign, but they still need to be done.
I am populating the edges of the map with 'quirky' features. Ones that you would normally only see on the outskirts of a small city like this (eg. the airport, the quarry, the rail depot).

Military Base

military base.jpg

Last edited:
It's Monday during a long weekend here. This afternoon I did some more on the map. Opposite, northwest corner this time.

I realise that these corner 'hexes' may never see combat in my campaign, but they still need to be done.
I am populating the edges of the map with 'quirky' features. Ones that you would normally only see on the outskirts of a small city like this (eg. the airport, the quarry, the rail depot).

Military Base

View attachment 21082

Ooh ... I could certainly use that one ... :cool:

While building this, scenes from an old 70's zombie film Dawn of the Dead kept popping into my mind.

Made me think of a potential theme for a campaign being survivalists or government versus intelligent zombies.
Could provide for some interesting narratives and even special rules for the sides (eg. zombie side could add some of the survivalist's casualties to their own ranks?). :alien:

There is some precedent of lore involving 'intelligent' zombies, such as the movies Dead Snow (2009) and Overlord (2018).

Combat Mission modern titles seem to have an uncanny knack of predicting future conflicts.
Watching vehicles cooking off in the news lately has dampened my interest in modern simulation warfare games. :cautious:

Last edited:
Combat Mission modern titles seem to have an uncanny knack of predicting future conflicts.
Watching vehicles cooking off in the news lately has dampened my interest in modern simulation warfare games.

I see no difference playing a modern era game than a WWII or Napoleon era games, after all they are just games.

Back