Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[A WORD ABOUT] CHEATING

Badger73

One of the Few
FGM MEMBER
Listen up, men. On rare (but not rare enough) occasions, the topic of cheating arises among FGM membership and Site Administrators. A member, or members, accuses another member, or members, of cheating in their PBEM match(es). The resulting outcome is usually unhappy for everyone involved. There is a current discussion at Battlefront - PBEM game without any cheating which I hope can prove useful. I post it here to help avoid future misunderstandings. That is all. Good luck and good gaming. Carry on.

I just noticed this thread today (7/2/19). To my knowledge, there is no way to "cheat" in the current CM2 games (CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMFB, CMBS, and CMSF), other than to violate any "house rules" that you and your opponent agree to before the game. Guys, the CM series is a niche within a small niche of wargames, which is itself a small niche of PC games, which is itself a small subset of the video games industry. To think that anyone would devote serious time into "hacking" CM is laughable.

I just noticed this thread today (7/2/19). To my knowledge, there is no way to "cheat" in the current CM2 games (CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMFB, CMBS, and CMSF), other than to violate any "house rules" that you and your opponent agree to before the game. Guys, the CM series is a niche within a small niche of wargames, which is itself a small niche of PC games, which is itself a small subset of the video games industry. To think that anyone would devote serious time into "hacking" CM is laughable.

Well you know, people might be tempted so they can get a rockin' campaign ribbon...

Not cheating but exploiting the game is TRP's. You can put an FO in a perfectly save location and put our -2 & -2 conscript in a foxhole more to the front. The FO can call out an artillery strike on or nearby the TRP at any time. The moment you the player see some contact icons appear. The same goes for helicopters now you don't need TRP's at all. No problem that there is no C2 link at all. To have a game as I don't like to cheat myself, I make sure the applicable C2 links are in place. But in a competition?

@ChuckDyke what you're referring to is commonly known as 'Borg spotting' in CM circles, ie because you the commander have all the information from all of your units, your units effectively have all of the information from all of the units too - whether they are in C2 or not.

There are some folks here who run hardcore house rules addressing things such as that, but as they cannot be enforced by the games coding, it requires a certain amount of trust in your opponent 'playing by the rules'.
I think most people are content to play the game accepting that Borg spotting exists, and adjust their strategy to suit.

For TRPs themselves, many folks will have house rules on those anyway - a common one being 'no TRPs for meeting engagements'. This can be checked post-battle, as you will be able to see all of your enemys units in the review screen.
Finally, if you feel someone is exploiting or generally not playing in good faith, there's an easy fix - don't play them again.

@ChuckDyke what you're referring to is commonly known as 'Borg spotting' in CM circles, ie because you the commander have all the information from all of your units, your units effectively have all of the information from all of the units too - whether they are in C2 or not.

There are some folks here who run hardcore house rules addressing things such as that, but as they cannot be enforced by the games coding, it requires a certain amount of trust in your opponent 'playing by the rules'.
I think most people are content to play the game accepting that Borg spotting exists, and adjust their strategy to suit.

For TRPs themselves, many folks will have house rules on those anyway - a common one being 'no TRPs for meeting engagements'. This can be checked post-battle, as you will be able to see all of your enemys units in the review screen.
Finally, if you feel someone is exploiting or generally not playing in good faith, there's an easy fix - don't play them again.
Thank you for clarifying the matter.

Not cheating but exploiting the game is TRP's. You can put an FO in a perfectly save location and put our -2 & -2 conscript in a foxhole more to the front. The FO can call out an artillery strike on or nearby the TRP at any time. The moment you the player see some contact icons appear. The same goes for helicopters now you don't need TRP's at all. No problem that there is no C2 link at all. To have a game as I don't like to cheat myself, I make sure the applicable C2 links are in place. But in a competition?

Helicopters are thought to spot for themselves and will do that, so you can order them to engage any target encountered in an area (for example a town). However they won't spot infantry targets by themselves, so without the spotter having spotting contacts that usually won't give much results. Don't think that is really exploiting things.
But indeed there are various house rules around. Although I prefer less rules, I do like to play games in a sort of plausible / realistic way; don't like 'gamey' stuff and like Stafford says if you play anyone who does best not to play them again. Although I've not come across stuff like that yet through opponents here.

Helicopters are thought to spot for themselves and will do that, so you can order them to engage any target encountered in an area (for example a town). However they won't spot infantry targets by themselves, so without the spotter having spotting contacts that usually won't give much results. Don't think that is really exploiting things.
But indeed there are various house rules around. Although I prefer less rules, I do like to play games in a sort of plausible / realistic way; don't like 'gamey' stuff and like Stafford says if you play anyone who does best not to play them again. Although I've not come across stuff like that yet through opponents here.
I take your point, however, their spotting is so so, you better don't have your units inside the area the chopper is operating in. Rest assured I operate the units only where the FO's got his contact icons. It is too much fun organizing the Command and Control of my units.

Back