Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

ArmA 3 Vietnam session Sunday 3rd May

I'm definitely interested in continuing some Arma 3, but the big thing is a player base. FGM appears to be a base of turn based pack of grognards (like me) so before you invest in a server (I'll help with dues) let's see who is really interested. This is also a very unusual time in everyone's life, so look at that.
I would support a weekly Arma 3 mission or 2.

I'm definitely interested in continuing some Arma 3, but the big thing is a player base. FGM appears to be a base of turn based pack of grognards (like me) so before you invest in a server (I'll help with dues) let's see who is really interested. This is also a very unusual time in everyone's life, so look at that.
I would support a weekly Arma 3 mission or 2.

This.

If I was working normally, I wouldn't be able to play either of the current timeslots (which are 10pm Thursday and 10pm Sunday night for me). And I did hear @Josey Wales say the Thursday game would be untenable for him when things are normality again.

So @Josey Wales and @DoubleD does it take long for you to create a misssion?
For the most part, do you just pre-place units in locations? I assume you put some of them on patrol loops?
Do you ever add units on the fly?

If I recall, you guys both host from your personal computers.
What do you think about my idea of renting a server? Might there be some performance advantages?

Apart from the role-play aspect of having an HQ commander to report to, is there any reason the GM doesn't join in?
Are there tasks that need to be done as the mission progresses?
I'm guessing that if you set respawns to occur on the spot, that you could have the mission creator participate as a player?

First you select a map you want to use from the editor. Then using the editor you build the base or add character to an existing base eg - add sentries, base patrols, vehicles etc. Then add in your playable units, create an inventory for them to access additional gear, add in a Zeus Gamesmaster module and a respawn module. Now you have your template which you can use to host a game.

Once in a game you use Zeus (with Achilles or ZEN mod) to build a specific mission. I typically know beforehand what kind of mission I want to make and have a general idea of the objectives. I then place enemy & civilian units in the main AO at the key locations. Then depending on how the mission is going I can add in additional obstacles/enemies or even remove some depending on the pacing. The idea is to give the players an achievable challenge.

I personally don't play in a mission I have created because it doesn't allow me to focus on the flow of the mission as the GM. I do have respawns set to occur on the spot as it means less admin for me. Also trying to keep track of where you guys are on a dense jungle map is very difficult - there are no indicators in Zeus that highlight where you are (but I do have my tricks in finding you when I lose track).

You can by all means create a mission and play along as the GM. In fact there is a mod called MCC 4 which autobuilds missions for you.

Here's a useful vid for setting up a server;

I ran ArmA sessions within FGM several years ago using an old 2003 server from home. I had an older laptop which got a bit laggy so I saw a performance benefit. It was mostly prior to Zeus so all the missions were scripted and I joined but took a back seat because I knew the flow of the mission and wanted to avoid spoiling the story for others.

I looked at renting a server but The group was small and it didn’t seem worth it. I also rented some TeamSpeak slots which was pretty cheap at the tIme.

Mission setup on a dedicated server was fiddly. It was a pain keeping mods updated as well. I’m sure things are more advanced now, personally the performance I get on my current computer is good enough. I think the internet connection is also important, I have quite a fast connection.

For the mission scripting, I do a mix or scripting and on the fly. All the furniture is done via Eden editor. Spawn points, any vehicles, civilians and often the static weapons, like the VC mortars on Sunday. Also if I want certain weapons on the VC, like specific sniper rifles I’ll create them in the Eden editor. The rest is done on the fly, like minefields, civilian animations, patrol routes and the bulk of the enemies.

If most of the mission is setup/scripted prior then there’s no reason Zeus couldn’t partake in the mission. I do sometimes take control of the enemy to do things which the AI doesn’t do well. This wouldn’t really be possible if Zeus was part of the players force.

Being Zeus in game is different to playing but I personally find it as enjoyable, it’s just a different type of game play. I enjoyed Sunday and @Paleolithic Monk role play. His engagement upped the fun for me as Zeus.

@Concord have you tried playing round with the editor and being Zeus? If your concerned about performance on your equipment I’m more than happy to run the mission on my computer and you can take the Zeus role. There maybe performance issues with a remote Zeus but we can give it a go.

I’m out of work at the moment so I’m around most of the time if you want to run a trial. @Josey Wales equipment might be higher spec, if it doesn’t run well enough with me as host you could have a chat with Josey to see if he can run something with you as Zeus to trial before investing in any external kit or rent server space.

The more people who get into scripting missions the better. It takes a bit of thought and ideas to come up with new stuff each week :ROFLMAO: Especially ‘stories’ that can be run as a mission with a varied size group and not turn into a shooting gallery or a death march for the players. Getting the balance and an interesting mission takes some practice

You guys are evil! I have been tempted to run a session (I've been experimenting with Zeus and Achilles), but my measly laptop, and my downunder location, was a likely significant barrier (whew!!).

But now you've given me a much better alternative (aka no excuse), if JW's machine can handle me remote Zeusing and him playing? Or have you a sepearte server box Jw?

So I'm just gonna commit now; how about I run a Zeus mission on JW's server Thursday week (14th)? There, stuck my foot in it now, haven't I??? Maybe if JW has a backstop in case its a miserable failure?

I do miss playing god... ;D

Back