Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battle Brothers -- bloody addictive game

New battle. FGM against 24 Dire Wolves, so we are outnumbered two to one against a very mobile enemy.

It occurs to me that I might start sharing some of my strategy in these posts. :)

So....regarding this battle....most of this advice will be common knowledge to you wargamers, but you can see it demonstrated right here.

First.....protect your ranged units. They tend to be squishy, but they can turn the tide of a battle quickly. Surround them with armored units. Let them pick their targets.

Second.....note that I ignore surrendering (full white flag) units, unless there is no other target within range. They have surrendered, and pose no obstacle to movement. They will most likely be cut down anyway when they try to retreat.

Third....note that I hold off on releasing the dogs. The dogs are mainly for cleanup and chasing down runners.
Sound advice.

So I thought I might discuss the different types of mercenary contracts offered, what are my favorites and least favorites.

My favorites are, of course, those that pay the most coin for the least effort, but I will occasionally accept a high risk contract (see my recent "Barbarian King" battle) if it pays well enough. Learning how to sort through the contracts, make wise decisions, and manage your finances is the key to success in this game (and, I would argue, in real life).

So, my top three favorite contracts:

(1) Headhunting (always a "noble" contract). Patrol an area of the map, engage with whichever enemies you decide to, and bring back the heads of enemies to the noble who hired you. At the end of the patrol, you are paid by the head. These contracts are my favorite. If you start running short of heads near the end of the patrol, you can always attack a known stronghold to collect more heads. :)

(2) Defend a town against raiders. Raiders can be brigands, greenskins, undead, or what have you. Basically, you just stay around the town you have agreed to protect, and, well, protect it. Get paid when they stop attacking. Not rocket science.

(3) Eliminate something. "Something" can be thieves, some specific enemy stronghold, or whatever. Basically, this contract means you fight one fight, and are done afterwards.

My least favorites:

(1) Anything involving Alps
(2) Anything involving Lindwurms
(3) Anything involving a Noble War that might mean faction loss. I like maintaining good relationships with all the Noble houses. :)

This was a tough fight. Took us five tries to finally win with no losses, but I wanted the legendary two handed axe that was being carried by their champion, Brand Battleborn. The dangerous thing about this fight, besides Brand himself who can do a massive amount of damage in a short time, is the fact that there is also a barbarian king, who also can produce prodigious damage, AND several barbarian chosen and the rest being reavers. All in all, this battle can turn on a dime. You think you are winning, and BAM, one or two of your men are down in one round.

So, my strategy, after several attempts, was to focus all available DPS on Brand, then the King, then anyone wielding one of those two handed skull maces. All else was of secondary importance, and I was quite willing to sacrifice some dogs, though I don't think I actually did in the final battle. It was still very close.

Congrats to @Wellsonian, new wielder of Destroyer of Heroes. :)

Battle Brothers Screenshot 2022.09.08 - 13.57.50.83.png

Back