Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

British heavy/medium armour

A Matilda tank advance on a street in Leeds, from factory to testing ground. 1941
A4XcLIC.png

Great original colour pic of a Centaur ? (Cromwell armed with 95mm howitzer) - I think that's in Normandy1944 -- no idea of the unit.

Edit: Possibly the Royal Marines Armoured Support Group -- formed in the Second World War to give British and Commonwealth forces heavy fire support in the opening attacks of the Normandy Landings.

It was primarily equipped with Centaur IV tanks fitted with a 95 mm howitzer; there were also a smaller number of Sherman tanks, which were used as artillery observation posts or command vehicles. The Group consisted of two Armoured Support Regiments, each of two Armoured Support Batteries, plus an independent Armoured Support Battery.

Each Battery consisted of four troops, with each troop equipped with four Centaur IV and one Sherman tank, giving a total of 80 Centaur and 20 Sherman tanks in the group, which fought on the British and Canadian D-Day beaches.

1618557994451.png

The round hatch above this Centurion driver’s head didn’t last long. It was intended to allow the 17 pounder gun barrel to be changed. It was welded shut on tanks that had it and soon removed from the design.
- From TheTankMuseum on Twitter.

E9Emb7vX0AU6PS9.png

I wonder what happened to 1, 2, and 3?

And wondering if Chichester was a real name or nickname for something I looked it up.

It's actually a pretty place on the south coast of England.

"Chichester is a cathedral city and civil parish in West Sussex, England. It is the only city in West Sussex and is its county town. It has a long history as a settlement from Roman times and was important in Anglo-Saxon times." - Wikipedia

Reactions: mTk
Back