Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

chess....Alpha Zero Vs Stockfish

Several years back I used to play a lot of speed chess on instantchess.com during my work lunch breaks (to keep the mental momentum going :singer:).

Its WAS a good website. Its free or with a reasonably priced subscription. I think my rating got up to high 17XX.

I work long hours on Sat/Sun/Mon, usually off Tue-Fri. Anyway, we can play on Chess.com. No need for a real time game. I can usually do a move or two a day, except on work days.

Oh ok sure. I didn't know you could play a game that way on chess.com My user name there is the same as at the FGM : Jobu88

Nice! Way better than me, that's for damn sure.

It took a lot of reading, mental work and anguish. I remember my dad used to play games for weeks against our old Vic20 computer in the early 80's. It used to take hours to make a move back then on the higher levels. The chess program was called Sargon. When humans still had a chance.

There is an interesting chess book called "The Amateurs Mind" which talks about concepts above the tactical level (pins, forks, etc) to things like space, closed positions, knights vs bishops, passed pawns, etc. Really opened my eyes up on how to look at the chess board. The concepts are not to difficult either.

I had Sargon in the mid 1990s, and another fabulous program called Chessmaster, I think they were up to Chessmaster 9 at that time. It had a great user interface and several dozen computer players of varying strengths and playing styles. You could even set up traditional round-robin tournaments with you and 20 computer players.

Yes, I had Chessmaster 2000 I think it was called. Its like playing against the Terminator. One slip up and there is mot much chance of coming back.

I had quite a few games on instantchess.com this afternoon, 5 minutes a side and got smashed.

Back