Meat Grinder

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
I remember Sargon and Chessmaster. My first chess game against an AI was one of those early 1980s dedicated chess computers. The one I had didn't sense your moves. You had to manually input them.

More recently, as described earlier in this thread, I use Chess Ultra, available on Steam. It's engine is far more than enough to defeat me, but, more importantly, and unlike Komodo and other free chess engines, which can defeat literally any human, Ultra tries to match the engine to your skill level, and offers several different "atmospheres", which I find rather calming. :)

jobu88

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
christopher.earls88@gmail.com
@Meat Grinder I can strongly endorse Shredder for i-pad if you want a game that will adjust to your level after enough games. It's free, has 5 or 6 different opponent types (aggressive, defensive, passive, careless, etc) and it lets you save and export games. For a free i-pad app it is a phenomenal chess program.

I got one of these as a gift in 1983, it played a pretty strong game.
DSC03287.JPG

Meat Grinder

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Cool! That isn't exactly the one I had, but looks very similar. I could beat it on the easy levels. I also got mine as a gift sometime in the early 1980s.

Thanks for the tip on Shredder.

Last edited:

jobu88

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
Good game, I thought I had perpetual check and a draw until you moved Kc8.

Meat Grinder

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
2-4 games.
Good game, I thought I had perpetual check and a draw until you moved Kc8.
Yep. I wasn't sure how I was going to get out of that without making my position worse. Amazing I managed to get through a game without making a major blunder.

BTW, please make you final move. Chess.com will provide a game analysis when we finish.

jobu88

FGM Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
Email
Sorry --- final move entered.