Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

chess....Alpha Zero Vs Stockfish

Meat Grinder

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score

From what I understand, Alpha Zero is an AI, that actually taught itself the game of chess, by playing against itself. Stockfish is a very well known narrow AI that has been at the top of computer chess for some time. Stockfish is currently stronger than any human. World chess champions struggle to achieve a Draw against Stockfish.

AI is here.

Last edited:
Been watching these for some time. Alpha Zero is extremely intriguing, for example often turning down draws by repetition and continuing a game, displaying enormous insight into small positional advantages, etc. On the other hand, critics have pointed out that Stockfish has been forced to play at below full strength by the setting used in the matches. But none the less, very impressive that Alpha Zero has "learned" how to play so strongly so quickly.

Another interesting resource: agadmator's Chess Channel on YouTube. He takes all kinds of games, recent tournaments, old historical tournaments, and analyzes them.

For example:

I started playing again a few days ago. It has been years (decades really) since I played. To say I am rusty is an understatement. Anyone can play against an AI (and get thrashed) for free on chess.com, but I prefer a little more panache, so I purchased Chess Ultra on Steam for $5. Beautiful boards and atmosphere. May post a vid soon.

Shredder has a free game you can download for ipad and probably for PC, I've been using it for several years. It lets you build an ELO rating over time, save and export games, set up positions. For a free app it's a great program.

Back