Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMCW 2v2 on new map

Rolled back on the drivers - it works! Nevertheless, I recommend some cuts to the map, loading times are going to be epic.

I am on a patch 1.03.

@Lethaface and @nektoman I can assume the role of the Soviet CO.
Great!

Yeah might be wise to see if we can reduce load times a bit. I was thinking of cutting something like this:

top image hosting

All fine if you assume role of CO (y)

I now have Steam 1.02 and BFC 1.01 (waiting on new turn form FW tournament which was still in 1.01, but that should be resolved early next week I think).

Is this going to be smaller than the largest maps already in the cmcw scenario list?

Is this going to be smaller than the largest maps already in the cmcw scenario list?
It's still probably going to be quite a bit larger than those afaik. When I looked between the QB maps in CMCW, most of them are rather small. The few huge ones were mostly flat and IIRC not near to 2x4 km.

So, this is something I had in mind.
PE5n8Ew.jpg

Red 1 represents the deployment zone of the main of the Soviet forces. It can also represent reinforcement area.
Red 2 represents the deployment zone of Soviet recce troops.

Blue 1 represents forward edge of the defense zone, meant for US recce troops in half-squad or squad ambushes, observation points and such. Meant to gather information and slow down Soviets.
Blue 2 represents the main defensive line.
Blue 3 represents the rear US area. Meant for support units and as a reinforcement zone.

So, this is something I had in mind.
PE5n8Ew.jpg

Red 1 represents the deployment zone of the main of the Soviet forces. It can also represent reinforcement area.
Red 2 represents the deployment zone of Soviet recce troops.

Blue 1 represents forward edge of the defense zone, meant for US recce troops in half-squad or squad ambushes, observation points and such. Meant to gather information and slow down Soviets.
Blue 2 represents the main defensive line.
Blue 3 represents the rear US area. Meant for support units and as a reinforcement zone.

I like the idea (y) , it seems you cut the map already?

If so we what kind of objective do you have in mind, various occupy objectives or a single 'breakthrough' objective? . And do we all agree on a probe? @olaf @nektoman @JTimo ? (Although JTimo mentioned that a deep breakthrough objective might not fit well for a probe).

From there we can make a force selection and note it down, I can do the objectives (or someone else) and @Bartimeus offered to put the forces on map. We also would need to specify which forces would be intended for which setup zone.

And do we all agree on a probe?
I don't mind playing probe, it's not a tournament. But if we're afraid of an unbalanced game we can impose some purchase restrictions for the defenders (or change them if there are ones already).

Last edited:
So with @Aurelius' zones, would we be restricted in some way during the initial phase? If that phase is a recon phase, then should it be followed by a short (say 2-3 turns) pre-battle setup phase?

In general, there shouldn't be any restrictions. But I would think twice before sending any forces from the main defensive line to the forward edge. It should be the other way around - units from the forward edge should fall back to the main line.

Movement from the rear area to the main line is unrestricted. Once again, I would think twice about rear-to-forward edge movement.

I was busy a bit but made some adjustments:

@Aurelius @nektoman @olaf @JTimo. I can make adjustments if needed. For objectives I thought 3 phase lines for Russia (which I put in), maybe to occupy objectives for USA? The towns seem good for that. But I think objectives aren't that important for this casual game.

If all is good we can select forces and ask @Bartimeus to put them in.

Good evening!

cm cold war.exe Screenshot 2021.12.06 - 18.11.32.21.png

cm cold war.exe Screenshot 2021.12.06 - 18.19.12.54.png

cm cold war.exe Screenshot 2021.12.06 - 18.19.00.81.png

cm cold war.exe Screenshot 2021.12.06 - 18.22.56.25.pngcm cold war.exe Screenshot 2021.12.06 - 18.23.50.22.png

I've added the map in a zip as well.

Attachments

• SchwartsHold QB Red Probe Concept3.zip
    139.9 KB · Views: 3
Usually I make a hill or a village an objective when I design maps. The game seems more sensible to me.

I saw the idea of 3v3 being thrown around but thats alright. This map is way too tiny to have a real fight on.

Usually I make a hill or a village an objective when I design maps. The game seems more sensible to me.
Usually I agree, but for this map I thought it will be interesting to simulate USSR forces wanting to breakthrough the line while the USA forces try to halt their advance; USSR forces not necessarily trying to occupy villages whatever, only if that's important for the breakthrough.
Although if I'm the only one thinking that'll be fun, I'm happy to change the obejctives. Points wise I guess I'll give USA 1000 points for destroying USSR forces and maybe an occupy objective on a village for 250/500, while USSR get 750 points for the phaselines and 500 for destroying USA forces? Something along those lines, although I guess the points don't really matter in this game.

Anyway I'm quite busy these days. But when/if we agree on the map and zones both sides can create a setup along 'large USSR probe' and send their selection to @Bartimeus . So we can get this battle going :)

@nektoman @Aurelius @JTimo @olaf anything thing that should be changed in your eyes?

I think one player to fight the defense here is enough tbh.
Of course it can be fought by one player (i played a brigade game early this year), but we thought playing it coop might be nice. if you guys think two is too much for defense, no problem ;-). Who will take up the gauntlet? :D

Out of curiosity, how does a 2v2 work in CM?

Back