Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be self isolating and playing CM now.... in fact... do you fancy a game. :)
Just can't take any thing at the moment mate, I have got enough with games plus with things generally, we haven't had scrap for some time,
so when the coast is clear I will drop you a line to see if you are available

Re wearing a mask:
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
  • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
  • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly
------------
You don't have to take my word for it. This is a copy & paste direct from the WHO website.

Last edited:
I knew that in Europe the problem was more serious than here, in fact today we had the second death (61-year-old man, had come from Egypt, Turkey and Germany) and the cases increased to 34. Nothing compared to what we see in the news of the outside.
According to the site I quoted yesterday, there are now 145,113 cases in the world, or 16,770 more than last night at this same time.
Let's have faith and that some laboratory, scientist or whatever, find the remedy for this.

IIRC the problem of finding a "cure" is that viruses get frustrated if the fail to reproduce, so the way they deal with that is to mutate. When they do that the vaccine that was working no longer works on the new strain of virus. That is, basically, why the flu virus is still with us and likely always will be. And why I don't bother with flu shots. They are treating (mostly) last years virus. Working diligently to keep the virus from spreading is about the best we can do.
Everything I've read suggests that the common flu is more widespread and deadlier that the Corona virus, yet because we have it "under control," since we have a vaccine of dubious value, there is little concern about it and no panicked media such as we see now.
A little info follows.
-----

Its freaking me out... the UK is pretty much doing nothing. Nearest case to me is like 500 metres away.... urgh.

And because I work for the police Im getting battered with status updates, contingency plans, standard operating procedures yada yada...

Just no getting away from this.. if I dint have bills to pay I would take the family of to the highlands for a couple of months.

My wife works for the Police, and I am a Site Manager at a school with nearly a thousand students.
I Think the government may shut schools from friday next week to minimise disruption to education as the following two weeks are Easter break.
Not sure if during that time me or any of my staff will even be allowed on site.
Unfortunately we can’t stop this thing, we can only manage it.
Stay safe and healthy all.
Steve

IIRC the problem of finding a "cure" is that viruses get frustrated if the fail to reproduce, so the way they deal with that is to mutate. When they do that the vaccine that was working no longer works on the new strain of virus. That is, basically, why the flu virus is still with us and likely always will be. And why I don't bother with flu shots. They are treating (mostly) last years virus. Working diligently to keep the virus from spreading is about the best we can do.
Everything I've read suggests that the common flu is more widespread and deadlier that the Corona virus, yet because we have it "under control," since we have a vaccine of dubious value, there is little concern about it and no panicked media such as we see now.
A little info follows.
-----

As usual, I agree with most of what you said. But your science is not quite right. What scares people in the field of medicine (and I know many) is the “novel” part of the NOVEL COVID-19. Sure, the flu vaccine mutates, but a flu shot almost ALWAYS diminishes the effect even when it is off the current mutated version. So getting a flu shot is always worth the bother. If you can tough it out fine, but think about your friends and family who might not be able to.
The worrisome thing about the coronavirus is the current data, which granted may change. A horrible flu season has a transmission rate of 1.3. Meaning if you get the flu, you can expect to transmit to 1.3 people before you get better. As a statistician by training (school), this is awful. Right now (and subject to change), the Corona virus is somewhere between 2 and 3 for transmission. I believe this is why you are seeing countries do the right thing and take what I would’ve considered drastic measures during the swine a bird flu eras.
Ultimately if all the measures work, which I hope they do, you will see douchebags come out and say “See, it wasn’t a big deal, it wasn’t that bad, science sucks, bunch of panickers etc.” I spent a time in Quality for a major defense firm, and ‘proving’ your quality measures prevented something was always a pain in the ass. Proving a negative, what a life.

Last edited:
Our government will probably start isolating the cities in a day or two. At our offices we have packed our laptops and such so that we may be able to continue work from home.

Bicycle touring through Spain at the moment or was. Massive line in the shop this morning (at Castellon). Just found out this afternoon that we cant book any future accommodation. I think we might be effectively locked down already (supposed to start Monday and go for 15 days). Need to get more food if anything is open tomorrow (Sunday).

Last edited:
Bicycle touring through Spain at the moment or was. Massive line in the shop this morning (at Castellon). Just found out this afternoon that we cant book any future accommodation. I think we might be effectively locked down already (supposed to start Monday and go for 15 days). Need to get more food if anything is open tomorrow (Sunday).
You are not in a good position my friend. Good luck to you and your wife!!!

We had a meeting at work on Friday about the virus. They called everyone into a room to explain that the corvid virus is very contagious. Going to let that sink in for a minute.

They then said that all the office workers will be working from home starting Monday and the office will be closed. Those of us that drive around all day going in and out of peoples home to work on their plumbing and heating equipment are to continue as normal. They then gave us each one container of clorox wipes.

On the way home the school informed everyone that they will be closing for two weeks. They said that they are aware of the sudden inconvenience and have talked with the local YMCA and day cares to provide child care services. Basically the town is taking all the kids out of the schools, where all the children's needs are already in place, and jamming them into services that are barely working under normal situations. Slow clap for our local elected officials.

I stopped on the way home and picked up a bottle of Johnnie Walker. My plan is to sit by the window, sip some whiskey, and watch these idiots burn the town down while killing each other over toilet paper.

We had a meeting at work on Friday about the virus. They called everyone into a room to explain that the corvid virus is very contagious. Going to let that sink in for a minute.

They then said that all the office workers will be working from home starting Monday and the office will be closed. Those of us that drive around all day going in and out of peoples home to work on their plumbing and heating equipment are to continue as normal. They then gave us each one container of clorox wipes.

On the way home the school informed everyone that they will be closing for two weeks. They said that they are aware of the sudden inconvenience and have talked with the local YMCA and day cares to provide child care services. Basically the town is taking all the kids out of the schools, where all the children's needs are already in place, and jamming them into services that are barely working under normal situations. Slow clap for our local elected officials.

I stopped on the way home and picked up a bottle of Johnnie Walker. My plan is to sit by the window, sip some whiskey, and watch these idiots burn the town down while killing each other over toilet paper.

Of course you plumbing and heating guys are essential! Who else will handle all the massive amounts of toilet paper that will soon be clogging all our toilets!

For now the schools are still open.
However, there were no positive news today as 11 new cases were confirmed, of which ten correspond to people with a history of travel to risk areas, while the other confirmed case belongs to a close contact of confirmed cases.
45 in total.

Schools closed for 3 weeks in Ohio. We ran out of hand sanitizer last week and rubbing alcohol start of this week in the Walmart I work. Next was toilet paper, today most canned goods and lunch meat/sausages wiped out from the shelves. Walmart changed opening hours to 6 am - 11 pm to try to recoup the situation and restock/clean, plus we have annual inventory on Tuesday, lol :) wife works at a hospital, so we decided to stay home from church tomorrow to not risk spreading anything to our mostly elderly congregation, since elderly seem more in danger of a serious case of it. God bless, gentlemen, pray you and yours are all stay healthy.

Yeah wtf is with the hoarding of toilet paper?

Ng5CXhK.jpg

But seriously

My brother is a doctor and he sent me this link:

It gives a really good view of what the corona virus is about.

A snippet:

Spectrum of illness severity — Most infections are not severe, although many patients with COVID-19 have critical illness. Specifically, in a report from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention that included approximately 44,500 confirmed infections with an estimation of disease severity:

●Mild (no or mild pneumonia) was reported in 81 percent.
●Severe disease (eg, with dyspnea, hypoxia, or >50 percent lung involvement on imaging within 24 to 48 hours) was reported in 14 percent.
●Critical disease (eg, with respiratory failure, shock, or multiorgan dysfunction) was reported in 5 percent.
●The overall case fatality rate was 2.3 percent; no deaths were reported among noncritical cases.

According to a joint World Health Organization (WHO)-China fact-finding mission, the case-fatality rate ranged from 5.8 percent in Wuhan to 0.7 percent in the rest of China. Most of the fatal cases have occurred in patients with advanced age or underlying medical comorbidities.

The Guardian has released a document "purported" to be from Public Health England stating worst case scenario for the UK is that this lasts until Spring of 2021, 7.9 million hospitalized and a death count of approx half a million.

Shit like this isnt helpful.. it just increases public anxiety... (and mine).

Once we come out the other side are we gonna have a generation of kids with PTSD!

All Im trying to do is keep things as normal for my wee girl as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back