Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, saw on the 'net that you are more likely to get COVID from a family member in your own home than from a stranger in public.
That is actually quite logical but it's about minimising the spread. If you get a highly infectious disease like COVID then yes you are very likely to pass it to others in your household (ie your family). Being locked down in your houses means you don't have the physical capacity to transmit it to your local community when you go out to cafe, sporting event or to work. Better to spread it to the wife and 2.1 kids only while you've all been watching Netflix and playing boardgames, compared to still going to work/cafes/sporting events etc to transmit it to hundreds which can then spread it to thousands.

It's the key line of defense in flattening the curve without a vaccine. Prevent spread. No other way to do it. Perceived "freedoms" be damned. Sometimes you need to think and act as a community and not an individual - which seems to be forgotten in some parts of the world.

Sadly news out of parts of Australia today suggest some people are not following the rules this time around. :(

Well Victoria Melbourne does have the highest percentage of selfish arseholes in the country. (Trust me, I'm Victorian, so I know what I'm talking about - why do you think I left!) :p

Better to spread it to the wife and 2.1 kids only while you've all been watching Netflix and playing boardgames, compared to still going to work/cafes/sporting events etc to transmit it to hundreds which can then spread it to thousands.

Apparently the word is not out or getting through to the narcissists among the US general population. Yesterday my wife came home to inform me that a person from her work had posted on Facebook in the morning that they were going to report to work after their COVID test, even though they were showing symptoms. And even worse, her employer's managers let the muthaf**ker stay. Apparently, he works "in the back" where customers don't go, but other employees have to go back there. I was so mad I told her that maybe I need to catch him behind the building and beat him within an inch of his life and COVID will be the lesser of his worries. Better yet, maybe I ought to catch the manager that let the f^^khead back on the job and beat him within an inch of his life. on the principle of what's good enough for Darwin is good enough for him.

And this is WHY we have COVID issues in the US of A...

Yesterday my wife came home to inform me that a person from her work had posted on Facebook in the morning that they were going to report to work after their COVID test, even though they were showing symptoms. And even worse, her employer's managers let the muthaf**ker stay
Yeah, that is totally insane. Right now if you are feeling symptoms you need to stay home until you get a clear test. And bosses need to be letting / encouraging / making sick people stay home.

The go to work sick mentality we have as a society would be a good thing to change. I know I have done it and I know I've felt pressure to do it. I'd like to see us collectively stop doing that.

The go to work sick mentality we have as a society would be a good thing to change. I know I have done it and I know I've felt pressure to do it. I'd like to see us collectively stop doing that.

When you are an hourly employee, there is just that much more pressure to work sick or take PTO to not lose income. People have to pay their bills. It's that simple. right or wrong, food on the family table and a roof over your family's heads trumps your co-workers health more often than not. It's the world many of us live in.

But one thing this pandemic has shown is that a lot of people can work from home and be productive. That fact alone would stop the transmission of disease. the downside is negative impact on the commercial real estate markets and ultimately to property tax revenue. No need for a building for people to come to work in, no tax revenue on the property.

Apparently the word is not out or getting through to the narcissists among the US general population. Yesterday my wife came home to inform me that a person from her work had posted on Facebook in the morning that they were going to report to work after their COVID test, even though they were showing symptoms. And even worse, her employer's managers let the muthaf**ker stay. Apparently, he works "in the back" where customers don't go, but other employees have to go back there. I was so mad I told her that maybe I need to catch him behind the building and beat him within an inch of his life and COVID will be the lesser of his worries. Better yet, maybe I ought to catch the manager that let the f^^khead back on the job and beat him within an inch of his life. on the principle of what's good enough for Darwin is good enough for him.

And this is WHY we have COVID issues in the US of A...

I agree, as long as the beating is figurative and not literal. That would just get you thrown in jail, where you would most likely contract coronavirus!:p

I saw this on the 'inet...maybe it's true?!?

The number of Americans infected with the COVID-19 coronavirus is anywhere from two times higher than the reported rate to 13 times higher, depending on the area of the U.S., the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Tuesday in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine. The report is based on an analysis of antibody tests, which indicate whether a person has been infected, and it's the largest of its kind so far. The U.S. has 3.9 million reported COVID-19 cases and 142,000 deaths, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

About 40 percent of people infected with the new virus never develop symptoms, and they can spread the disease throughout a community without even knowing it. Increased testing would catch some of these silent spreaders and help contain the disease, The New York Times says.

Researchers have also narrowed down their calculation of how deadly COVID-19 is, estimating now that between 5 and 10 people of every 1,000 infected with the coronavirus will die from it, The Wall Street Journal reports. That fatality rate, between 0.5 and 1.0 percent, makes COVID-19 much deadlier than the seasonal flu and less dangerous than Ebola and other recently discovered infectious diseases.

"It's not just what the infection-fatality rate is, it's also how contagious the disease is, and COVID is very contagious," Eric Toner, an emergency medicine physician and senior scholar at Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, tells the Journal. "It's the combination of the fatality rate and the infectiousness that makes this such a dangerous disease."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/actual-covid-19-infections-13-105157985.html

Yep, historically the reports coming in during a pandemic are lower than the actual numbers (people get sick, recover and never get tested; people get sick and die without a test being done and it never is). Even in places where testing rates are quite good studies are still finding, through those randomized anti body tests, that more people were sick than their testing indicated.

When you are an hourly employee, there is just that much more pressure to work sick
Oh I hear ha. I would argue we need to create a system that lets hourly waged people get some amount of time off each year for sickness - without being docked pay. I know that's a big lift but right now it sure looks like it would be a smart thing.

Oh I hear ha. I would argue we need to create a system that lets hourly waged people get some amount of time off each year for sickness - without being docked pay. I know that's a big lift but right now it sure looks like it would be a smart thing.

Hourly (USA) private sector, non union employee checking in here. I receive 9 hours PTO (Paid Time Off) per pay period. There are 26 pay periods a year (bi weekly) so that is 234 paid hours off each year. PTO is used whenever I am off for any reason (sick or holiday). I have no problem calling in sick when I am ill.

Don't believe everything you read on Reddit. Reddit is full of a bunch of lazy malcontents who have otherwise failed at life, IMO.

Last edited:
So that's like a salaried employee, except worse? :unsure:
Perhaps you get well compensated hourly, but your math suggests you get about 10 days off without pay.
That's pretty much an entry level amount of time a salaried employee gets for annual vacation time.
IIRC a base level salaried employee will then get another 7+ days sick time off (we're talking very rough number here for conversation sake).
Which means, uh, you get average vacation time, but no real sick time off?
Even if you switch vacation/sick time around it still doesn't sound too great.
Is there a union lurking around there some place?

Yeah, that is decidedly NOT great MG...:oops: At all, especially working weekends and with your seniority. I had a better deal in the 1990’s military. You really are a hero in these COVID times! You are near Nashville....can you sing? Maybe I’m missing something though. I have zero experience in the health care industry.

Reactions: mTk
Yeah, that is decidedly NOT great MG...:oops: At all, especially working weekends and with your seniority. I had a better deal in the 1990’s military. You really are a hero in these COVID times! You are near Nashville....can you sing? Maybe I’m missing something though. I have zero experience in the health care industry.

Government workers in the USA, I have learned, have little comprehension of what life is like in the private sector. One of my nephews works in IT for my local city school system (government work...pension and everything), and he has private sector experience, and has made similar observations regarding his interactions with teachers who have spent their entire lives in the government controlled education system.

In addition to the 234 paid time off hours I receive per year, I also get a dollar for dollar match to my 401k, up to 6% of my income (which I take full advantage of...I would be an idiot not to). Working weekends is my choice. I work three 12 hour shifts a week and get four days off every week. That leaves me free to pick up extra shifts on my off days, which are often offered. I made over $10k in overtime alone in 2018 and over $5k in overtime in 2019, just by picking up an extra 8 hour shift here and there on my days off.

My health, dental, and vision insurance are also ~75% paid for by my employer.

So yea, that may sound not so good to government workers, but it is decent by private sector hourly standards.

Last edited:
The four days off (in a row) is a big deal actually. Every type of job/career has its positives and negatives, since there are no free lunches being given out. For instance, when I worked in the private sector I had WAY more PTO after 10 years, plus all the matching, ironically better health care, etc. However, I worked in a position where doing your job well, (thus not getting down sized) and taking PTO were somewhat mutually exclusive. So the PTO hours just piled up and we all slowly burned out, cashing in our unused PTO when we finally found something better (working for myself). That PTO methodology isn’t great either.

The people who are ‘essential’ hourly workers that don’t even get PTO are the ones really in the bind with the pandemic. Hell, a lot of them get minimum wage too.

For instance, when I worked in the private sector I had WAY more PTO after 10 years, plus all the matching, ironically better health care, etc. However, I worked in a position where doing your job well, (thus not getting down sized) and taking PTO were somewhat mutually exclusive. So the PTO hours just piled up and we all slowly burned out, cashing in our unused PTO when we finally found something better.

My nephew has a similar story. He has plenty of PTO, but has a hard time actually taking it.

As long as I give at least a month notice, I little trouble taking PTO, nor is it frowned upon. In fact, we cannot build up over 100 hours of PTO, so we are basically forced to take it. Ah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back