Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

French Infantry in CMFI

@jobu88 have you seen 'Vacas' by Julio Medem?
It's not on the same level as Two Women but it's an interesting take on the Carlist Wars and the Spanish Civil War

I'm currently playing the Mort aux con scenario in a PBEM with the French. They are performing very well for me, perhaps because of the Goumiers mod? ;-P These were, historically, also Moroccan troops iirc.

With plenty of artillery and mortars, some M-10 TDs and Stuarts they fight very well. Their lmg works fine and they sure come with grenades to throw. The rifles do their job, plus they also come with some thompson and BARs. It's a great scenario imo.
The French troops actually have give me a PBEM first: with a flamethrower team on an aggressive move I was able to destroy a pesky enemy concrete MG bunker, which was shot out by an M-10 before but had been sneakily recrewed and couldn't be targeted effectively anymore by my TDs.
Anyway, imo the French troops in CMFI aren't bad at all.

I'm playing the Arvanti Gambit or whatever it is against Stefano and really enjoying it. Ok, the French have their weaknesses but it's a good challenge. I recommend it.

I'm playing the Arvanti Gambit or whatever it is against Stefano and really enjoying it. Ok, the French have their weaknesses but it's a good challenge. I recommend it.
Agreed. It’s a really good little battle, I just approached it all wrong as the French, and also up against a very good oppo. But I won’t give away any spoilers. I would recommend it as well (y)

Can anyone give advice on how I get the best out of the French Infantry in CMFI, please? I’m playing a scenario where I have a French engineer company in which each squad is armed entirely with old M1917 Enfields and no automatic weapons. Each platoon has a single FM24/29 which appears similar to a BAR, and the platoon HQ has a couple of M1 carbines, but that’s it! And I’m in the middle of a village fight against German squads armed liberally with MP40’s, Beretta SMG’s and MG34’s. Am I doomed? :eek::LOL:

Engineers you say? Why not area fire (at a maximum distance of 30 meters) so you'll get bang for you buck with the satchel charges.

Go into the editor. (Not QB). Purchase an Italian force in Sicily as per July 1943. Go back and change the date and region to sometime where there is French Forces (April/May 1944 is a good spot) and pick the French force. Pretty sure both forces will stick for a "what if".

Now that's a good idea, which has given me another idea. :unsure:

About the French corp during the campaign of Italia : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Expeditionary_Corps_(1943–44)
It's just Wikipedia but it can give you a good idea about free French in Italie.
The troops were mainly of "native"(called Indigène back then, around 60% of the all force) from the colony and "métropolitains" i.e. people coming from Europe or with an origin from Europe. Some area, like Algeria for exemple, were heavily settled by European and provided local "none-native" troops.
Unfortunately, with the old colonial mentally, the officier were only European and native troops were over-represented in first rank units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back