Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Good old Squad Leader

jobu88

FGM Regimental Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
I recently discovered that there's a very lively Squad Leader community using Vassal and the old original Squad Leader game plus the three expansions. Not the monstrosity that is Advanced Squad Leader.

Been playing the heck out of it. Just played Tooth and Nail this morning, Russians with the usual handicap of only two leaders attacking the Germans. Final position on Turn 6 when I conceded there was no chance to capture 6 of the 9 victory hexes.

You absolutely do not need a high-end PC or any particular computer smarts to play any of the old AH games on Vassal. They have every old AH game you can think of.

Final.png

Another game that is still in progress. Paw of the Tiger from the Cross of Iron expansion. I'm playing as the Russians and got off to a great start, after 4 turns its down to one functional Panzer IV against 12 angry Russians. You can play with any combination of the SL / COI / COD / GI rules that you want.

End of Russian turn 4.png

Very cool.
Brings back memories. Haven't played in ages.
I have a boat load of the games in my attic.

There's some counters I don't recognize.

How do you deal with the rule book and the LOS?

Very cool.
Brings back memories. Haven't played in ages.
I have a boat load of the games in my attic.

There's some counters I don't recognize.

How do you deal with the rule book and the LOS?

The rule books are available electronically, as is a lengthy 40+ year compiled Q&A and clarification document.

And for LOS the game has a built-in LOS tool that works great.

Last edited:
Another great feature of Vassal is that you don't have to go out and find a physical copy of a game that's been out of print for 40 years. I got myself a copy of Squad Leader just for the nostalgia value, but you can play any of the old Avalon Hill or SPI games without having a physical copy. You can play a surprising number of recent games as well.

Last edited:
I’ve always wanted to play Third Reich on Vassal with a group of guys.
This one?

Third_Reich_box_cover.jpg

Back