Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Good old Squad Leader

Possibly the best scenario in the entire Squad Leader library, Hill 621. Germans attempt to hold the ridge against a wave of Russian troops and tanks.
I'm playing as the Germans and we are almost certainly not going to hold Hill 621......

Russian horde.png

Yes. The Vassal software lets you play virtually any of the old classic wargames, and a surprising number of new / current games.

For Squad Leader, you can play any of the versions all the way through to ASL. In fact the Vassal software was originally created just to support ASL. Virtual ASL = VASL = Vassal.

You install the Vassal engine to your computer, then download individual game "modules" to a folder, and you can open them up and play on your computer. All the Vassal engine does is provide a display mechanism, plus all the charts, and a die-roller. It is not a computer game like Combat Mission, it just lets you display and move the pieces around, roll dice, consult charts, etc. You have to know the rules of the game you're playing. It is an incredible resource to be able to play almost any of the old classics. Squad Leader, Panzer Leader, Third Reich, Russian Campaign, you name it there is probably a module for it.

And using the free Discord page and a headset with a microphone you can talk with your opponent, rather than having to type all your conversation manually.

From this link, in the top right click on "Modules" and then select the appropriate letter A through Z for the game you're looking for.

I too played SL all the way through ASL until Combat Mission came out.
(Hence my avatar :))

I will look in to this. Thanks. (y)

How does the LOS work?
I'm sure you're not putting a thread between hexes on your monitor. ;)

Yes. The Vassal software lets you play virtually any of the old classic wargames, and a surprising number of new / current games.

For Squad Leader, you can play any of the versions all the way through to ASL. In fact the Vassal software was originally created just to support ASL. Virtual ASL = VASL = Vassal.

You install the Vassal engine to your computer, then download individual game "modules" to a folder, and you can open them up and play on your computer. All the Vassal engine does is provide a display mechanism, plus all the charts, and a die-roller. It is not a computer game like Combat Mission, it just lets you display and move the pieces around, roll dice, consult charts, etc. You have to know the rules of the game you're playing. It is an incredible resource to be able to play almost any of the old classics. Squad Leader, Panzer Leader, Third Reich, Russian Campaign, you name it there is probably a module for it.

And using the free Discord page and a headset with a microphone you can talk with your opponent, rather than having to type all your conversation manually.

From this link, in the top right click on "Modules" and then select the appropriate letter A through Z for the game you're looking for.

Good ol Vassal.

I too played SL all the way through ASL until Combat Mission came out.
(Hence my avatar :))

I will look in to this. Thanks. (y)

How does the LOS work?
I'm sure you're not putting a thread between hexes on your monitor. ;)

There is a built-in LOS tool that actually works !

Another great thing about Vassal is you don't have to purchase a used copy of Panzer Leader or Squad Leader or whatever off of e-bay, you can play any of the old games without owning a physical copy. Some new games when they're published include a Vassal module that has some but not all game features, so you can kind of test drive it.

I should put my Squad Leader games up on ebay.
I have about every module, all nationalities and the trays to put them in just sitting up in my attic.

Ever see the maps with the large squares?

May be a silly question but are you able to play against an AI or is only H2H?

Ef3BD4z.jpg

There is a lively market for SL components, I'm sure you could find a buyer in no time. I've seen the extra large hex maps, there are even some players who build their own 3D maps with hills and buildings and etc basically use SL as the rule set for miniatures LOL

Regarding Vassal, it's purely H2H. All the software lets you do is move pieces around, roll dice, and consult charts. There is no game AI to provide an opponent.

No argument here.

The rule book may have been a little over the top ;)

H60QXom.png

There is a lively market for SL components, I'm sure you could find a buyer in no time. I've seen the extra large hex maps, there are even some players who build their own 3D maps with hills and buildings and etc basically use SL as the rule set for miniatures LOL

Maybe I'll try Craig's List or something first so I don't have to box all this up for shipping.

oVEWI9h.jpg

No argument here.

The rule book may have been a little over the top ;)

H60QXom.png

Maybe I'll try Craig's List or something first so I don't have to box all this up for shipping.

oVEWI9h.jpg

There are a couple wargame-specialty groups on FB for buying and selling games.

Back