Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Graviteam: Tunisia 1943

I bought it, it's fun. I have it, Operation Star and Mius Front, as well as Steel Armor, which is more a tank sim, ala the old M1 Tank Platoon, all Graviteam titles. As I have not played CMX2 I can't give you a comparison. RTS, of course. You plot orders, but you can't micromanage to the degree you can in CMx2 from what I have read. Gotta get ready for work, will try to detail more later.

Last edited:
Well, this game is set in Tunisia, basically its Germany versus the US unless you buy the DLC, which adds the British. You can play in a campaign or in quick battles. As has been reported on Steam, the operational level is turn based and the battle window real time. Note that the setup interface is not intuitive to say the least, but there are some very good "get you up to speed" documentation on the Graviteam wiki. Once you have done the setup once or twice it ain't bad, but you do have to work at it. Game play is smooth and the controls are icons which once you learn you can mouse through or also learn the hot keys. I like the RMB click on a unit because you can quick order from an order ring. Graphics ain't bad at all, camera control I think is easy, zoom is sometimes difficult with mouse, so the standard WAD can move you around. Map is huge, vehicles are pretty well modeled.

It does take some work and practice to play this game. Basically it's a battalion level battle simulator. There are some very interesting setup options, the map is color coded during setup so you know what terrain you can set up in and which areas you can't. For the current sale price it's a steal.

did I say you can pause and speed up and slow down the RTS phases?

Is it possible to issue area fire commands to units? Or as with other Graviteam games are units only able to fire at other units?

Is it possible to issue area fire commands to units? Or as with other Graviteam games are units only able to fire at other units?

Hi Macjim-

The short answer is "yes". Basically heavy weapons and AFV's can be issued suppression fire tasks. With infantry you have to back into it. So if you have three squads you can issue a "Defend Hold" to one squad and set a field of fire and fire orders on the target area , then your maneuver squads can be issued a "Defend-Move" command, plot a move to where you are attacking with suppression fire and they will conduct fire and move to the destination. You "back into" suppression fire and bounding fire and move through a"Defend" command. There are a number of discussions on the net about this technique and the techniques to use for armor and indirect area suppression fire both in and out of LOS. A good quick explanation on the area fire "Defend-Hold-Move" technique can be found on the Steam Operation Star product page, community hub, newbie guide under the topic "Suppression Fire"

You might note that the new TW1943T DLC is out, Operation Pugilist, and is currently discounted on Steam. I will get it over the weekend.

Hope this helps you some!

Regards,

HOA_KSOP aka ksbearski aka Barry

Last edited:
Barry,

thanks for your reply. Appreciate the effort. I'll check it out and search around in the Op Star steam page as you indicated.

Barry,

thanks for your reply. Appreciate the effort. I'll check it out and search around in the Op Star steam page as you indicated.

macjim...

Look Here...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=339318454

and here....

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275290/discussions/0/619568192719440976/

and here is an example...

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=10191.0

and here are a number of related topics....

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?action=search2

Barry,
you are great for passing on the links. From what I read it seems that infantry cannot really suppress an area with fire unless they have some heavy weapons (like at least an MG). I'll keep trying to use the area fire "Defend-Hold-Move" technique but I can't seem to get my head around it. Or perhaps my troops are just not in the mood. (...more likely I'm just doing it incorrectly). I am currently playing the GTOS demo but am holding off buying the game until I figure this out.

For you guys that are thinking about it you can get the game and three DLC's for less than $20 USD during this sale....

Back