Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Howdy all

D

din djinn

My first post just to say that I'm new and might lurk for a bit, but I am happy to be a part of the forums and see what The Few Good Men is all about. Picked up Battle Front recently and I'm still learning the ropes, but it would be great to eventually play a real live person and not just campaigns or AI scenarios, though those are good as well.

Hah, yeah, I see I didn't even know the title of the game I play until I noticed your more correct reply. I should also probably add that I'm currently working through Fortress Italy.

Big welcome to the Club @din djinn The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Welcome aboard din Djinn!
Combat Mission games are like potato chips
You cant stop at just one!

Welcome @din djinn ! Which of the games have you picked up?

I'd advice going for a human opponent as soon as you have finished a few games with AI, the real fun is against humans. It takes a special kind of patience where sometimes you are even thinking about your battle plan during your morning showers, and have to wait a few agonizing days (or even weeks) before the plans come to fruition. But if they work, it's a golden moment. :LOL:

Thanks to everyone for your kind remarks. Which of the games have I picked up? I started with Red Thunder because I wanted to play the Eastern front (I thought), but I tried some of the initial scenarios and campaigns and I kind of regret that purchase for now. Undeterred, I went for Normandy with all expansions, but that hedgerow fighting is as I feared. I will at some point get back to both of those titles, but I have finally found the kind of maps I wanted with Fortress Italy, and the troop selection is interesting as well as it covers quite a long period of the war.

I joined the group here specifically to play some head-to-head, but I still want to get better at some of the mechanics, hence I'm back on the forums today to look for some answers and/or pose some questions. I have trouble with timing things, or with getting a tank to pop out, taker a shot, and roll back in the same minute's time. Just some things like that that I want to be able to do before facing others. Despite already owning 3 games, I have owned them for less than a month. I never really knew about the games, but stumbled upon some YouTube videos by group members here and became enthralled. Wish I had known about these at, say, the start of the pandemic. And I teased my daughter for watching others play games and such on YouTube instead of doing them herself, but now I understand how she can enjoy it.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'm glad to be a new member.

Timing issues are always hard. Just experience can help with that as far as I know. In terms of general tips and tricks I can only recommend reading Bil Hardenbergers battle drills blog from beginning to end and back again. It's got loads of good information.

Blady, that's good information. Thanks. Playing Wego is a really interesting way to play, but I still struggle with things like off-loading troops from carriers at the right point. And when I learned about the game and read reviews, I saw reviewers remarking that CM's graphics were not that great. Frankly, I think that is wrong. Well, I don't have a gaming PC so I never get to see the most awesome graphics, but these are not generic digital soldiers. Each uniform and weapon is distinctly represented. Wind blows, clouds cast shadows that move, and every round fired has its own trajectory. I'm very impressed. But I also do fail to get down in the weeds and misjudge lines of sight. I will position my troops where I think they will have a good line of sight or fire support, only to discover that they are too far back from a small ridge and therefore they missed seeing tank that just rolled past them.

Like you mentioned, this will improve with more play experience.

1620612498307.png

Welcome to the club ... Have a donut and some coffee!

Back