Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Importance of potential CMx2 Engine v5 features?

Your opinion?

• Multithreading (use multi-core CPUs better)

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Rendering improvements (less artifacts)

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • VCR controls (rewind etc) in TCP/IP multiplayer

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Multiple hulldown positions (for ATGM launchers with optics on the roof)

• Macintosh port for M1 processors

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • More than one "target light" to control 3-weapon vehicle choices

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Shoot'n'scoot command

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • More detailed AAR statistic

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Just fix bugs. The game itself is fine, the number of open bugs is not

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Other (comment with description)

• Total voters
There is more to it than that. BFC spent weeks iterating on a Follow command -- which is essentially a column formation.
And came up with nothing.

Lack of ambition -> not hiring a programmer who can make stuff happen.

I often toy around with recon by fire, but would appreciate an order for MG teams (or any MG platform really) to have an order which can spread their fire rather like the indirect fire order for a Line mission. Order would be cancelled if the firing team got knowledge of an enemy along this line and resort to TacAI. Basically a firing arc rather than just a target arc. Happy to have the length of arc restricted to 3 or 4 action squares rather than an MG team spraying fire along a 500m hedgerow, which i can understand to be quite unrealistic. Or even add the Target Briefly order to MG teams, even if only heavy or 'set up' MGs.

I often toy around with recon by fire, but would appreciate an order for MG teams (or any MG platform really) to have an order which can spread their fire rather like the indirect fire order for a Line mission. Order would be cancelled if the firing team got knowledge of an enemy along this line and resort to TacAI. Basically a firing arc rather than just a target arc. Happy to have the length of arc restricted to 3 or 4 action squares rather than an MG team spraying fire along a 500m hedgerow, which i can understand to be quite unrealistic. Or even add the Target Briefly order to MG teams, even if only heavy or 'set up' MGs.
That would be useful. Target briefly is available to MG's (maybe I misunderstand your last point), but the need to reposition/redeploy between two Target briefly orders makes it impractical for the purpose you described, especially with MG's.

I am also unhappy with the rigid TacAI (much more rigid than in CMx1) - it will not engage a direct threat or when having an excellent opportunity target that is not consistent with their current target or arc order. They can literally get themselves killed because they will not react to an enemy they see approaching from a direction you did not anticipate when setting the arc.
On the positive side, that same rigid TacAI allows me to run my tests :)

Edit: see Bulletpoint's edit below :)

Last edited:
They can literally get themselves killed because they will not react to an enemy they see approaching from a direction you did not anticipate when setting the arc.
I'm sort of ok with them not engaging outside of their arc - that's what the command is there for.

But I don't like that they won't engage targets of opportunity while area firing. You'd think a tank would defend itself against other tanks, even while bombarding some patch of woods.

Edit: Apparently I was wrong about this last point.

Last edited:
I'm sort of ok with them not engaging outside of their arc - that's what the command is there for.

But I don't like that they won't engage targets of opportunity while area firing. You'd think a tank would defend itself against other tanks, even while bombarding some patch of woods.
If you let them area fire with HE it means they don't have AP loaded at that moment. A Sherman fires 20 rounds/minute, combined with the 7-second spotting cycle it means it will take 10 seconds before he reacts. If the enemy had him in their sights it doesn't look good. My example was just of a tank with excellent optics and rate of fire.

Formations for the infantry. Record movement of a vehicle eg lorries. Once you select vehicle B you can replay the action of vehicle A. Movements select road or cross country travel.

If you let them area fire with HE it means they don't have AP loaded at that moment. A Sherman fires 20 rounds/minute, combined with the 7-second spotting cycle it means it will take 10 seconds before he reacts. If the enemy had him in their sights it doesn't look good. My example was just of a tank with excellent optics and rate of fire.
Reread. It wasnt about the area firing tank being able to detect but once it detects a tank it should fire at it. If it has he loaded then fire he and reload ap. Though cm doesnt specify what round is loaded and fires whatever is apropriate for the target.

Though cm doesnt specify what round is loaded and fires whatever is apropriate for the target.
The most appropriate shell, AP is for direct fire at a spotted AFV. My experience is the tank that spots first will win. If he is already engaged the odds are against him. Just the spotting cycle will let you down.

In CMx2 HE is magically converted to AP depending on what kind of shot is taken.

HE is magically converted to AP depending on what kind of shot is taken.
Using a combination of HE and WP was a tactic they used against the heavier German tanks. In CM we can't do this. It is all very basic stuff.

It wasnt about the area firing tank being able to detect but once it detects a tank it should fire at it. If it has he loaded then fire he and reload ap.
In my experience they already do.

It's possible they changed it. Haven't tested it recently.
If you see an instance where they do ignore a threat to continue area fire I could submit it as a bug, since it very likely is one. But I just tested it and even though the red area target line stays present the tank did switch fire onto the new threat. If it kills the enemy tank it then returns to the area fire order.

Target Arcs are a different matter. I'm with you in that the way they work now is fine. It's up to the player to do the cost/benefit analysis and take the chance.

If you see an instance where they do ignore a threat to continue area fire I could submit it as a bug, since it very likely is one. But I just tested it and even though the red area target line stays present the tank did switch fire onto the new threat. If it kills the enemy tank it then returns to the area fire order.

Target Arcs are a different matter. I'm with you in that the way they work now is fine. It's up to the player to do the cost/benefit analysis and take the chance.

Thanks for testing it out. I take back what I said then.

Thanks for testing that out!

Platoon type formation or even a company formation which you could split up as we do with squads. Useful for mobile unit eg lorries. Would make convoy or marching movements easy to execute.

Around one year I did not play CM, but I doubt much had been improved in this time. I do like CM, but my impression is that this game has a lot of potential which is not used.
It is a bit sad that the improvement over the last years are so little. The game is getting old and I would like to see a total overhaul of the game which would mean CMx3.

The AI is way to limited for 2021, but human vs human had been always challenging and fun.

One small example is that a weapon like the heavy MG42 is not correct implemented so that for example an enemy Squad can cross a street while been shoot by an heavy MG 42.

Back