Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Importance of potential CMx2 Engine v5 features?

Your opinion?

• Multithreading (use multi-core CPUs better)

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Rendering improvements (less artifacts)

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • VCR controls (rewind etc) in TCP/IP multiplayer

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Multiple hulldown positions (for ATGM launchers with optics on the roof)

• Macintosh port for M1 processors

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • More than one "target light" to control 3-weapon vehicle choices

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Shoot'n'scoot command

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • More detailed AAR statistic

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Just fix bugs. The game itself is fine, the number of open bugs is not

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Other (comment with description)

• Total voters
Around one year I did not play CM, but I doubt much had been improved in this time. I do like CM, but my impression is that this game has a lot of potential which is not used.
It is a bit sad that the improvement over the last years are so little. The game is getting old and I would like to see a total overhaul of the game which would mean CMx3.

The AI is way to limited for 2021, but human vs human had been always challenging and fun.

One small example is that a weapon like the heavy MG42 is not correct implemented so that for example an enemy Squad can cross a street while been shoot by an heavy MG 42.
It is what we call today a dual role mg. In the game's engine, the reaction time depends on the seven-second spotting cycle. It is ample time for a squad to dash across a street. The MG 42 on a tripod like the Vickers MG should be capable of indirect fire. The TacAi, as well as the AI, act like suicidal maniacs which are indeed partially overcome by playing a human opponent. The strength of the MG42 is in an emergency it functions as a LMG before deployment. TBH I think as an LMG or HMG it is not better than other machineguns at least in the game.

One small example is that a weapon like the heavy MG42 is not correct implemented so that for example an enemy Squad can cross a street while been shoot by an heavy MG 42.

MGs in CM only fire bursts at a sustainable rate.

There isn't a mode to just hold the trigger for several second to really spray an area. So you can cross in front of it.

In Graviteams games like Mius Front the MGs are way more realistic implemented and not only that. It is more like a battlefield simulator than a game. I do not say CM is a bad game and I will play CM again at some time in the future.
I also think Battlefront is a good game developer and I am thankful for the many hundred hours I had great fun with CM mainly playing human vs human. Also they are oldschool developers which maintain to produce a niche game like CM, which is great to see, but it is sad that the CMx2 did not get improved in any meaningful way for many years now. I do not know the reason why? Maybe something like crowdfunding to allow the development of CMx3 could be a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

I get your point, but at the same time it's not like it's a good idea to cross a street when an MG42 is over watching. Especially the HMG variant. You could lose your squad.
In Graviteams games like Mius Front the MGs are way more realistic implemented and not only that. It is more like a battlefield simulator than a game. I do not say CM is a bad game and I will play CM again at some time in the future.
I also think Battlefront is a good game developer and I am thankful for the many hundred hours I had great fun with CM mainly playing human vs human. Also they are oldschool developers which maintain to produce a niche game like CM, which is great to see, but it is sad that the CMx2 did not get improved in any meaningful way for many years now. I do not know the reason why? Maybe something like crowdfunding to allow the development of CMx3 could be a good idea.

I tried graviteam once but couldn't get into it, might be a me thing. Anyway indeed CM isn't developing at stellar speed, although CMCW was quite the surprise and a great addition imo. I guess their work for militaries and the features they added for that edition is a reason why engine 5 isn't out yet. Anyway word is that they are working towards an engine 5 which focuses on performance.
And CMx3 is probably also being worked on. But being the small business they are it will probably take a while before we will see something about it.

Personally I'm still having fun with it and learned to live with it's flaws; there is plenty of good content out there and while I also mainly play H2H nowadays, there's plenty to play against AI and some of the SP missions are quite challenging. While not paradigm shifts, I feel that the newer content which makes use of various improvements made over the years is definitely ahead of the old content. For example the F&R campaigns/missions, it's not a fully different game compared to CMRT but there's definitely improvements on various fronts.

And CMx3 is probably also being worked on. But being the small business they are it will probably take a while before we will see something about it.
Battlefront always keeps development secret. CMCW had been a surprise as far as I know. Therefore it could be that they are working on CMx3.
But the question is why would they use their limited resources to create new modules for CMx2 if they know CMx3 will happen? On the other hand BF has always be good for surprises. The engine needs a big upgrade or better a new engine, look for example at the physics which is not up to date.

I get your point, but at the same time it's not like it's a good idea to cross a street when an MG42 is over watching. Especially the HMG variant. You could lose your squad.
Yeah, any time I've tried to out run a MG in CM it has not ended well for my men.

But the question is why would they use their limited resources to create new modules for CMx2 if they know CMx3 will happen?
Continue their income stream. Probably.

look for example at the physics which is not up to date.
?? The whole game is based on realistic physics of armour and ballistics. What aspect of physics is lacking in your opinion?

? The whole game is based on realistic physics of armour and ballistics. What aspect of physics is lacking in your opinion?
Maybe 15 years ago it had been for that time a good implementation. Today it is total outdated. For example a destroyed tank does never move anymore, but in reality it would move still if hit while moving or rolling from a slope. Then terrain and building fire is missing, etc…

Maybe 15 years ago it had been for that time a good implementation. Today it is total outdated. For example a destroyed tank does never move anymore, but in reality it would move still if hit while moving or rolling from a slope. Then terrain and building fire is missing, etc…

Ironically both of these were in CMx1...

Maybe 15 years ago it had been for that time a good implementation. Today it is total outdated. For example a destroyed tank does never move anymore, but in reality it would move still if hit while moving
I see. BTW moving tanks (and other vehicles) do continue to roll after being KO'ed

or rolling from a slope. Then terrain and building fire is missing, etc…
That would be nice yes.

Wow! Just voted and was surprised that the number of votes for improved Hull Down positioning was not a top "vote getter". I would have thought this, along with a Turret Down command, where a TC could peer over a crest without exposing the tank, would be one of the most requested items.

While I certainly wouldn't mind better graphics, to me it's the gameplay issues that matter most. Having started out playing Battlezone back in the 80's, I can live with less than top notch graphics. More "moddability" of graphics would take care of most of my complaints - there are many excellent artists in the community that could/would do much for appearance. It's things like SOP's for units and more refined controls that matter most to me.

My List:
1) Refined LOS
2) SOP's - for vehicles and squads (teams would be better)
3) Control of weapon/ammo selection
4) While I have yet to play H2H, I am approaching retirement and may, at long last, have the time to PBEM. We should definitely have some voice in Unit Costs. That Panthers appear in PBEM far more often than Stugs is ridiculous.

I'm sure there are more, but that's enough for my first post.

EDIT: Improved UI, preferably with multi-screen capability, something along the lines of Command Ops

Rake Out

Back